Torque converter on Predator 420cc

GoKartNarc

Maintained Machine
Reaction score
Hi everyone,
So I have a 420cc on a Manco Dingo frame. I bought the torque converter from Go Power Sports. The problem is with the bearing for the jack shaft closest to the torque converter. The original bearing had disintegrated and fell apart cause something was rubbing, but I fixed that already. So I ordered new bearings specifically for go- karts and a new jack shaft for the torque converter. I installed the new bearings and shaft and then took it out for a ride, probably about 15 minutes worth and when I got back to my garage I noticed the bearing closest to the torque converter had disintegrated again. Not sure why this is happening. Everything seems to be lined up properly in the back. Chain isn't too tight or loose. Any suggestions.

Thanx,

GoKartNarc

Joe-405

Enjoying New Projects
Reaction score
What size bearing are they ? And pics ? And what series did you buy ?

GoKartNarc

Maintained Machine
Reaction score
ID 3/4" × OD 1-3/8"
They didn't specifically say they were the bearings for the jack shaft though. I did a little research and is it possible that I need the high speed bearings? You can see how the new belt is rubbing a bit. The torque converter plate is from Go Power Sports. I have two different torque converter drivers, not sure which one is on there now. That could be another problem.

Attachments

• 20201220_162356.jpg
    20201220_162356.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 23
  • 20201220_162342.jpg
    20201220_162342.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 23
  • 20201220_162403.jpg
    20201220_162403.jpg
    4.1 MB · Views: 23
  • 20201220_163044.jpg
    20201220_163044.jpg
    4.3 MB · Views: 23

karl

Reaction score
ID 3/4" × OD 1-3/8"
They didn't specifically say they were the bearings for the jack shaft though. I did a little research and is it possible that I need the high speed bearings? You can see how the new belt is rubbing a bit. The torque converter plate is from Go Power Sports. I have two different torque converter drivers, not sure which one is on there now. That could be another problem.
It may not be the only cause, but Im sure it is not assisting you. The 40 series is intended to run with the driven clutch inboard,
unlike the setup with the backplate you have.

With the driven clutch outboard, It must slide freely on the shaft about 1/2in? or so, to maintain alignment.
This I do not think is possible with the backplate style kit.

A solution is to rotate the engine driver around, but I have not tried this fix, nor is it well proven.

Or make a proper jackshaft so the clutch can run in the correct orientation.

Not correcting the alignment , even if the next bearing lasts longer, belt life and efficiency will suffer.

Joe-405

Enjoying New Projects
Reaction score
Ok I figured as much. The 3/4 jackshaft bearings are junk. If you switch to the 5/8” stuff it will solve your issue. I have the same problem.

I switched to these bearings and packed them tight with red Lucas grease and it helped but they are still a issue...............

Attachments

• 11991D66-0D3D-4DCF-A617-0E76F3503A0C.jpeg
    11991D66-0D3D-4DCF-A617-0E76F3503A0C.jpeg
    374.6 KB · Views: 5

Joe-405

Enjoying New Projects
Reaction score
No a 5/8 jackshaft and a 5/8 driven pulley. And the 5/8 bearings. Which is why I been babying mine cause I haven’t done it yet.

I’ve had multiple people tell me that’s the issue. And they tried 3/4 also. The bearings are too small so they have abnormal wear patterns which is why.

GoKartNarc

Maintained Machine
Reaction score
👍What do you mean by the clutch to be driven inborars
What does it mean to have the clutch inboard?
Ok I figured as much. The 3/4 jackshaft bearings are junk. If you switch to the 5/8” stuff it will solve your issue. I have the same problem.

I switched to these bearings and packed them tight with red Lucas grease and it helped but they are still a issue...............
Hmmmm I've seen those but haven't bought them. I'm a bit frustrated cause I've had this same problem for a while and I can't fix it. Very discouraging

Joe-405

Enjoying New Projects
Reaction score
What does it mean to have the clutch inboard?

Hmmmm I've seen those but haven't bought them. I'm a bit frustrated cause I've had this same problem for a while and I can't fix it. Very discouraging
He’s referring to the spring on the driven being on the outside instead of the inside. But it’s not a issue cause you have the reverse wound spring.

Joe-405

Enjoying New Projects
Reaction score
Go look at my alsport trike restomod thread. I explain it all in that also about my bearing issue also. Those heavy duty ones are loose but they aren’t getting worse. Just make a little noise is all. Been that way for a month or so still. But I don’t ride it a lot either still.

GoKartNarc

Maintained Machine
Reaction score
Go look at my alsport trike restomod thread. I explain it all in that also about my bearing issue also. Those heavy duty ones are loose but they aren’t getting worse. Just make a little noise is all. Been that way for a month or so still. But I don’t ride it a lot either still.
Sure, send me a link

karl

Reaction score
He’s referring to the spring on the driven being on the outside instead of the inside. But it’s not a issue cause you have the reverse wound spring.
That is not what I am talking about. Yes a different spring is required to run the driven inboard or outboard.

The 40 series driven clutch is intended to run inboard, as in the whole clutch rotated.

If used outboard, like the backplate does, even with the reverse wound spring, the driven needs to slide on the shaft free to maintain alignment of the belt.

Kristopherjh83

Reaction score
That is not what I am talking about. Yes a different spring is required to run the driven inboard or outboard.

The 40 series driven clutch is intended to run inboard, as in the whole clutch rotated.

If used outboard, like the backplate does, even with the reverse wound spring, the driven needs to slide on the shaft free to maintain alignment of the belt.
I agree with this. Unfortunately I had the same experience. I have used 40 series on few projects. I, like most, saw a 40 backplate and reverse wound spring and thought hell yeah finally somebody made one. After putting rear end on stands and watching clutches misalign and plate flex I realized the one inescapable fact...fab work.

Kristopherjh83

Reaction score
I agree with this. Unfortunately I had the same experience. I have used 40 series on few projects. I, like most, saw a 40 backplate and reverse wound spring and thought hell yeah finally somebody made one. After putting rear end on stands and watching clutches misalign and plate flex I realized the one inescapable fact...fab work.
I flipped the drive clutch for time being and picked up extra belt. I use the 7/8 driven except for my manco deuce bc of gearbox input shaft 5/8”

Joe-405

Enjoying New Projects
Reaction score

Never had a issue with my stuff like that. I did at first but it didn’t have the reverse spring. First one was my mini Dragbike and the second was the current alsport trike. I’ve never replaced a belt yet either.

karl

Reaction score
Never had a issue with my stuff like that.
If you are not aware of the issue, it is still an issue.

Yes it will work. But not as well as it can, or should. By the inherent issue of the belt being mis-aligned
in high ratio, because the clutch's are not functioning as intended.

Just maybe the reason you have to baby your unit around. Keeping the clutch's running in alignment.

The backplate is just not a good idea, or investment. To run outboard the right way, the driven needs to be supported on both sides with bearing, and slide on the shaft. Plain and simple. If run inboard, the driven clutch can be fixed to said shaft, as comet intended it to be.

GoKartNarc

Maintained Machine
Reaction score
I just ordered high speed bearings and I hope that is the answer. I have yet to be able to ride this go cart consistently without something else breaking. I do have another torque converter plate by thats a different brand, but in order to use it I'll have to shift the engine to the side to fit between the brake cause its so bulky which will require wielding on a new plate for the engine to mount to. I did modify it a bit so that it won't take up so much room, but it's starting to turn into a money pit$!

Sincerely,

Tired&Broke

Joe-405

Enjoying New Projects
Reaction score
Wait a minute............ why is your driven a 3/4 one if you got your kit from gopowersports ? The one I bought which didn’t have a single issue on my mini Dragbike was 5/8. I just looked on the website and it still comes with the 5/8 version.

did you special order yours differently ?