Torq-a-verter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Affair_driven

BULL DETECTOR
Reaction score
can be mounted in any position.
Provided there is clearance.
After doing a web search, it turns out that there are interference issues with the older clones. Not sure of the new design.
Modding (apparently) is required to get this thing to fit any other way than vertical.
I would prefer it be mounted parallel to frame. I don't want to file or grind anything just to get it to fit.

jetlag

Reaction score
Provided there is clearance.
After doing a web search, it turns out that there are interference issues with the older clones. Not sure of the new design.
Modding (apparently) is required to get this thing to fit any other way than vertical.
I would prefer it be mounted parallel to frame. I don't want to file or grind anything just to get it to fit.

I already have my grinder ready..:roflol:

jr dragster T

Reaction score
Somone on this forum already contacted Comet about the minor grinding on the reinforcing ribs on the jackshaft support and he said it wouldnt be a probelem. I dont know about HF or wherever you guys buy your TC's and such from but around here Princess Auto will take ANYTHING back. And I mean everything. Just the other day some guy returned a greasy old filthy 12 year old hydraulic pump and he got a full refund!

oscaryu1

Reaction score
Correct. Its a fully contained unit. Takes about 5 minutes to bolt onto the engine with 4, 5/16" x 24 bolts. I tried to get the best picture I could get without natural day light. Jerry has mounted the same converter towards the FRONT of the GX200 clone engine before.

Lol, look at the size o' dat sprocket! :arf:

You ran like 60KPH right? My chopper went faster :DDD

jr dragster T

Reaction score
65 KMH with a stock engine. Its a 72 tooth rear sprocket. Its actually realy fast with the new clone. Never had a chance to open it up for more than 3 seconds.

jetlag

Reaction score
65 KMH with a stock engine. Its a 72 tooth rear sprocket. Its actually realy fast with the new clone. Never had a chance to open it up for more than 3 seconds.

So you went ~40mph with the TAV on a 6.5 motor with the 72T?

Stock even with the governor? I have a 72T on mine with the governor removed and will be adding a new filter and header. Hoping to have a enough torque to get up a slight incline but also not run out of speed at 20mph..hah

jr dragster T

Reaction score
Yes bone stock right out of the box with the 6.5 HP engine. You will be able to go up almost any incline you want to and pull hard all the way to 40+ mph. Its nothing like a Cent clutch.

mike75925

thinker and tinkerer
Reaction score
as to which one to run how many ponies do you intend on having? you can always go with lighter springs to a point but if you choose a low rated setup, you'll have to upgrade to a higher horse rated unit, they ain't cheap

jetlag

Reaction score
Mounted the TAV2 today.

It took a little bit of grinding but wasn't too bad. It is mounted horizontally on my 09 HF clone.

Pics soon.

Reviews? I was hesitant at first, but ****, it was a surprise the first time I hit the gas....No longer is my kart a turd off the line..hah

It almost wants to lift the front tires.

jr dragster T

Reaction score
Yeah, I knew you would like the torque. Its quite amazing. About my clone and my Tav 2. Its rated for 8 hp but I've been in contact with Comet and they told me that it would handle more without probelems. People have run 25 HP clones on these converters so I'm happy. Most of the time I'm just joy riding around the race track pits with a holeshot here and there and most of the time when I lay the pedel down its from a good roll so less stress on the belt.

theo

Reaction score
It's probably not the hp that effects the tav but the weight of the overall kart.

theo

Status
Not open for further replies.