Toro Suzuki 2 stroke mini bike / pit bike

Status
Not open for further replies.

rwd4evr

Reaction score
I haven't been on here in like 4/5 years or something. Life's very different now. My own bussiness and a massive 6000 sq ft shop full of vintage Mercedes, one of them being my drift car😁 I'm getting a full size international school bus that's getting a fold down rear and ramps to put my 78 450slc drift car in the back for hauling to events. Now that I have the room I need a pit bike. I've got a pocket x1 but that's not very cool. Luckily I've still got all my small engine stuff squirreled away here and there and a stack of 3 toro mowers with 2 stroke 121cc Suzuki engines. My dad had one when I was little and man that bugger was hard to start cause I was tiny but it had mega power once I got it going. I actually used to hop on it and hand crank the governor to scream it and ride down the street! Anyway I've got a nice brand new(but 7 years old) tillotson 25mm that's dual adjustable , gotta whip up an adapter and pick up a frame or Fab one. I want one similar to my first mini bike, it was like slightly chopperish on 5 in wheels. The backbones were raked and dropped down from front to where the seat hinged and was rear supported on chrome shocks. Kinda tall bars too. Sorta like this one.
I got the mower out and pulled the blade, cleaned a carb and got it fired up. It sounds pretty good with no muffler but runs better with it. Have to do some pipe experiments after it's built. I think I gotta run a direct drive chain to a jack shaft that the clutch is mounted on since it's a pinned crank like a dirt bike and I can't take it apart to turn it down. It's a goofy 7/8 shaft with woodruff key hole and a necked down area the blade mount was on. Kinda cool thing is that I'll be able to over or really underdrive the clutch to get some more rpm engagement if I need to. Well I wish I could post the little thing running but I can't. Maybe I'll throw it on you tube and post a link.
I'm curious if any of the same guys are still on here now years later. That's my shop and you can see my orange krate I built 6 years ago and my never built margay hanging up in the rafters. I just sold my box van and the orange krate was in it for like 3 years. I haven't fired it up yet since one tire won't hold air but I will.

Sent from my SM-J737A using Tapatalk

JTSpeedDemon

2019 Build Off Winner!
Reaction score
Nice Mercs!
My dad loves the W123 chassis Mercs, and I've come to like the style as well.
*Cough cough*
RUSS?? Where are you?! I know you're around here somewhere!
I could try to tell you all the longtime members that hang around nowadays, but I'll let you find out yourself. ;)

rwd4evr

Reaction score
Yeah it will be fun to see familiar names. Here it is running. I got it to idle slightly better than this with no pipe, but it was way better with the stock pipe/muffler. Being a Suzuki I'm sure they put some thought into it so we'll see if it stays or not. I do kinda like the chrome cover.
RUSS! I still have my duraforce I never got on the kart. It's not really ideal for a bike so it's waiting.

https://youtu.be/GkS7FdS9fsU

https://youtu.be/EjW1gten5RQ

rwd4evr

Reaction score
I need measurements for a Bonanza mini chopper frame if anyone has them. So cool. The slightly less choppery one would work too. That's a lot like my first mini.

rwd4evr

Reaction score
So I've scored a patient that may end up being being the final bike. It doesn't look much like a chopper style right now but the shape of the frame under the plastics are just right. The back bone slopes down then drops steeper to the axle. Perfect to put a hinged and spring/shock mounted seat. I think a nice u bend that fits my big *** wide rear tire will tie the rear frame rails together and give me a little more wheelbase. It will need some slicing and dicing but should work out nicely. Plus I won't feel bad about hacking up a real vintage bike that someone can bolt back together. If you squint real hard these two have some very similar lines. 😁

rwd4evr

Reaction score
Hooked up 24 volts to this little 12v toy and it actually ripped pretty good. Not good enough though! A little deconstruction quick test for how the engine may have to sit. Not sure if I'm going to go straight up in the frame or match the angle of the front tube with either the front or rear side of the starter/fan shroud. The exhaust will have to come out the front so that is a consideration. The electric motor is slightly in the way but not too bad. I think I'm going to use the chrome muffler cover over the jackshaft as a fake Harley type separate trans.
I had a little visitor looking for a warm spot today. I shoulda put him in my bathroom where the crickets seem to be headed. An eastern garter I'm told. I've seen a few much bigger ones in my shop but still pretty small.

rwd4evr

Reaction score
You have a YouTube channel? I have one but it's just little things, drift stuff I've done over the last couple years and a couple other things.

rwd4evr

Reaction score
Figured a couple things out but haven't gotten much work done. I'm going to widen the rear to run a 11x6.00-5 slick on the back. I may groove it too. I just can't find a turf or dirt tire like I have for cheap enough. I had my buddy over for some work and he's a real machinist and is going to machine a jack shaft for me. I'm running a 6 rib automotive type serpentine belt from the motor to the jack shaft with alternator pulleys. The clutch will be on the other end of the shaft being driven. The motor has the same 17mm shaft as a bunch of the alternator pulleys I have laying around. He going to broach keyways in them and turn a 3/4 shaft with the 17mm end on it so I can swap pulleys for clutch engagement speed adjustment and top speed. Smaller driven pulley larger drive pulley(only by 14%)will let the motor rev to 7000 while the clutch turns 6000 giving it a higher engagement off idle but reducing top speed. Swap them and it will hit the clutch at a lower rpm but top speed will be increased. I may have to mess with gearing on the rear sproket to get everything happy. No need to do more than 40-45 on this thing anyway. I may have a spring loaded tensioner on the belt I can use for a clutch to rev it up for a launch too. I found a company on eBay that makes super short auto style belts in 1/2 length increments as short as 21 inches in length for this to work. B&d drives I think.

Status
Not open for further replies.