• OFF TOPIC fun forum - NO politics - NO religion - NO jerks. It's not complicated. Thanks!

Time to STOMP Sid!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Poboy kartman

Senior Moments Member
Reaction score
Hm the most iconic german product EVER is most likely the beetle,
the british didn't liked it very much

but it wasn't part of any reparation so that couldn't be it, right?

'sid

Sorry - somehow I missed this post before I posted the one about Hitler. YES I was looking for Volkswagen. That is what we associate with Hitler and the "people's car".

Didn't mean to offend. According to what I have read it was offered but declined in negotiations. Those clever British! Lol.

Poboy kartman

Senior Moments Member
Reaction score
I must apologize here. In one fell swoop I have managed to offend Sid 2 ways. It was simply a lack of consideration on my part.

Besides mentioning that bstrd- it bothers Sid that Germany was stripped of so many things in reparations. This is something that almost all Americans are totally ignorant of.

I was thinking maybe it would be a good piece of shared trivia.

Poboy kartman

Senior Moments Member
Reaction score
anything with adolf hitler i dont like at all and im part German.

I'm full blooded. Growing up the history books l was tought from gave Hitler credit for developing the Volkswagen. That and that it's translated as "the people's car" is why I posted that way.

I was trying to give a clue and didn't know Sid.had already answered correctly.

Now how about some more trivia?

rocketkart

Reaction score
Former Israeli Prime Minister Ariel Sharon had which nickname that sounded very much like what you'd call a sleeping cow?

itsid

Staff member
Reaction score
I must apologize here. In one fell swoop I have managed to offend Sid 2 ways. It was simply a lack of consideration on my part.

Besides mentioning that bstrd- it bothers Sid that Germany was stripped of so many things in reparations. This is something that almost all Americans are totally ignorant of.

I was thinking maybe it would be a good piece of shared trivia.
I know you didn't meant no harm with that, as far as I'm concerned we're good!

I've been to a number of forums where I encountered a bad prejudice like
"oh look a german, must be a nazi", and you know that really hurts one's feelings.

So yeah, I get pretty sensitive along those lines;
I do like racism as much as the next guy.
So having me, my family and firends associated with a person that died long before my dad even knew my mom makes me mad.

Again Doug, we're good.

So on a brighter subject.. the beetle;
or to be precise the FACTORY (not the company, nor the cars) were confiscated by the Americans in post war germany, since they didn't wanted to move the factory over to the states they kindly offered the equipment to british car companies including Rootes and Morris, they turned it down.
Then the british army in germany got hold of it (and left it where it was),
after they demonstrated some wartime volkswagen to the british rhine army group headquarters, they ordered 20,000 similar cars that very same year (1945)

It took a loong time to make that many cars in post war germany though.

Anyways, the man that saved Volkswagen was an Englishman, namely Ivan Hirst
guardian.com said:
Ivan Hirst was the man who got production going. He organised the clearance of bomb damage and had the buildings repaired; he re-commissioned machine tools, body presses and assembly jigs; he concerned himself with improving the quality of the car, with setting up a sales and service network and with starting exports - the first went to Holland in 1947.

He became a great enthusiast for the Volkswagen, which he was always ready to defend, even against the interference of the British authorities. His view was that the factory belonged to the German people, and it was his task to see that they got it.

He died in 2000 at the age of 84.

Oh, btw I'm not bothered that germany was stripped, that's how it goes...
the one who looses a war gets stripped.
I'm bothered that after WWI the germans were dumb enough to start WWII.

The only thing that somehow is annoying, is that -mostly Americans- don't know that it was a German that made the space age happen (well actually several germans ;) see "operation paperclip")
let alone that the "intellectual reparations" taken by the U.S. and the UK amounted to close to $10 billion.
(according to John Gimbel in his book "Science Technology and Reparations: Exploitation and Plunder in Postwar Germany", stanfort university press 1990)

That most of the 'things' some americans are so proud of are actually 'german things' ;)

Anyways, looong time ago...
I wasn't affected by any of that.

Nothing was stolen (confiscated) from me or my family back then (well the house was bombed *shrugs* shirt happens, new house was much bigger ;))
And my grandma actually liked the G.I.s that were around, especially the ones she referred to as "die Schwatten" (the black ones; no that's not politically correct; sorry) since they were always the kindest and most helpful.
Personally I think she secretely fell in love with one, but she never admitted so ;)

Where were we?
Oh yes.. so the beetle was at least to some degree correct?
Good :D

Now, how many lines then? ;)

'sid

itsid

Staff member
Reaction score
Former Israeli Prime Minister Ariel Sharon had which nickname that sounded very much like what you'd call a sleeping cow?

Arik,
but what's that with the sleeping cow?

what is the only creature that has one ear? A dolphin B crocodile C Praying Mantis D frog
I don't know if it's the only creature, but C the praying mantis;
and it's ultrasonic too :D

'sid

rocketkart

Reaction score
Albert Lawrence Brooks i think.Albert Einstein. he changed hes name as soon as he became an adult.Super Dave Osborne.

itsid

Staff member
Reaction score
hes nickname was bulldozer he got fired for sleeping on the job lol.

said who?
the bulldozer was a nickname NOONE ever used in his vicinity,
that's a name he got from the press, a comment about his assertiveness against palestine.
Not for taking a nap ;)

'sid

PS bright note from january this year
Hospital: Ariel Sharon responded to family photos, not in coma
http://www.ynetnews.com/articles/0,7340,L-4337599,00.html

itsid

Staff member
Reaction score
I said 3 or 11.You never said yes or no that I saw.

What was comedian Albert Brooks real name and what name is his brother most known by?

No <-- here it is then. ;)

Oh and I never saw a picture.

and the name is
Albert Lawrence Einstein his brother is Bob Einstein

'sid

rocketkart

Reaction score
idk that what i know i read it in a national geographic book some time back maybe i read it wrong or somthing sorry.

itsid

Staff member
Reaction score
Well, I don't say he wasn't fired from a job because he napped (I simply don't know),
it's just not the reason for his nickname as far as I know.

But again, maybe my sources are wrong and yours were correct.
*shrugs* we'll never know I guess.

'sid

itsid

Staff member
Reaction score
That is correct. As Sid said his brother was Bob Einstein- whom is indeed more readily recognized as Super Dave Osborne.

never heard of super dave osborne.. ever!

never heard of Bob Einstein either.. so yeah ;)

And if Lawrence hadn't had the Albert Einstein part I wouldn't even heard of him.
(yes, I've seen Taxi driver.. some million years ago ;) that doesn't count)

'sid

Status
Not open for further replies.