Throttle connection on B&S 163212

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nick

Reaction score
I have a go kart that I bought used and had to reconstruct (with very little knowledge on the subject). On one of my many engine deconstructions I lost part of the throttle linkage and haven't been able to find easy to follow instructions (preferably with pics) anywhere. Awhile ago I found a video of a guy who had re-run his throttle cable over the top of the engine and connected it straight to the accelerator on the carb. Can anyone tell/show me how to connect it correctly or over the top of the engine.

The go cart is a carter bros. 2575 with a Briggs & Stratton engine model 163212 0006 01

Nick

Reaction score
Here are some pictures of the carb with my "hot wire". When I try to crank the engine with out the blue string it will not stay running but with the string it stays cranked and runs fast. What should I do??????:confused::mad2:

Attachments

• IMG00003-20110217-1853.jpg
    IMG00003-20110217-1853.jpg
    108.4 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG00004-20110217-1853.jpg
    IMG00004-20110217-1853.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG00005-20110217-1853.jpg
    IMG00005-20110217-1853.jpg
    103 KB · Views: 24

shake this

Reaction score
You have the spring connected wrong and it's also stretched out (I'm not even sure it's needed). It also looks like you are missing your idle screw which would explain why you can't keep it running unless you use the string.

Look at this picture

for a better view and to see a few more pictures, take a look at the thread.

http://diygokarts.com/vb/showthread.php?t=10172

Nick

Reaction score
Isn't this (in red) the idle mixture screw?
I also don't have no how i am really supposed to connect the rod (in blue). I have replaced that rod with wire which is why i need the spring.

Attachments

• carb.jpg
    carb.jpg
    18 KB · Views: 107
Last edited:

shake this

Reaction score
The screw in red is NOT the idle screw. The screw you see right about it is. Do you still have the rod in blue? That is part of what makes the governor work correctly. You will need to reinstall it.

Nick

Reaction score
So this is the idle screw? If so what should i do to it to make the engine run smooth?

Attachments

• untitled.JPG
    untitled.JPG
    9.3 KB · Views: 14

shake this

Reaction score
Yes, that's the idle screw. You need to turn it in to increase the idle speed and out to decrease tue idle speed. I assume you need to increase the idle speed based on the info you've provided. You also need to make sure you have the linkage for the governor hooked up correctly.

Nick

Reaction score
The idle screw is all the way in. I don't know how to hook up the governor! Thats what I need to know.

How I have it hooked up now works well you just don't have throttle control and when you do press the gas pedal the engine dies.

shake this

Reaction score
How I have it hooked up now works well you just don't have throttle control and when you do press the gas pedal the engine dies.

Then it’s obviously not working correctly. I’ll try and post up some pictures this weekend but It’s hard to see because of the tank and everything. I’m not about to tear mine down again as it’s not a fun process getting everything connected correctly.

Just so you know, this is how the throttle should be hooked up on the back side of the engine.

http://www.gokartsupply.com/img/cabis.gif

This link has some good pics showing the linkage for the carb but not for the governor.

http://www.diygokarts.com/vb/showthread.php?t=2872

The pics in this link are a little hard to see but shows the governor spring.

http://www.small-engines.com/5briggs.html

Also try searching youtube.

shake this

Reaction score
How do you know you don't have a problem with the plug itself? It would be better if you buy a spark tester from a small engine/lawn mower shop.

redsox985

Reaction score
Try turning out the lights first. If that doesn't help, pull off the boot and just hold it. If you get a little zap you have some spark. Try a new plug then. This is how I worked on a bike engine to revwire the thing and check for spark. When I jumped, I knew it had spark again.

Nick

Reaction score
I've tried three different spark plugs in it and none of them worked I'll have to try the more painful test I guess. But what should I do if that doesn't work?

shake this

Reaction score
have you done anything that might have caused the engine to all of a sudden stop having a strong spark?

Doc Sprocket

Reaction score
On some older engines (I have a Tec H60 that was like this) the throttle lever had a contact on it that grounded out the coil when moved to the slowest position. This served as the kill switch. Check for that.

shake this

Reaction score
Toystory brings up a pretty good point. Matter of fact, the connection for the kill switch is on the back of the engine right above the spring for the throttle. Make sure everything is clear of that area

Status
Not open for further replies.