Go Back   DIY Go Kart Forum > Building Plans And Advice > Engines & Clutches

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 01-31-2009, 05:49 PM

Default B&S 5hp Fun Power Governor/Throttle Linkage

Hello all! New to the forum and need some help. I've got a kart that I'm trying to get going, but can't seem to figure out the governor linkage. The engine is a 5hp briggs and stratton fun power, model 136202, type 0144 01. When I got it, the governor springs had been rigged with some homemade stuff. I ordered the 2 governor springs for it, but cannot figure out how they are supposed to be hooked up. Also, it seems like there should be another piece of linkage up to the carb. It has one rod that comes down to the governor control, and that is all. I can't find a diagram that shows a good picture of the actual linkage. I found this link http://www.small-engines.com/5briggs.html that looks a lot like what I'm working on, but it just isn't very clear to me what goes where. Thanks to anyone that can guide me in the right direction or post a diagram of the linkage.
Old 01-31-2009, 06:04 PM
Lord of the noise

If this is for a kart you should remove the governor all together.

Sorry, don't know how to put it back together.
Old 01-31-2009, 06:34 PM
2 Cycle Powered GoKarts

Quote:
If this is for a kart you should remove the governor all together.
Why? He clearly bought parts to repair it.
I'll see what I can come up with.
Old 01-31-2009, 07:25 PM
Love To Build!

Here is one pic I found of the linkage under the fuel tank, I don't know if it helps...
http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l1...s/100_0725.jpg
The Following User Says Thank You to thgrahamjr For This Useful Post:
robertdjung (03-12-2009)
Old 01-31-2009, 07:38 PM
2 Cycle Powered GoKarts

Nope, sorry...I don't have it.
Old 01-31-2009, 07:38 PM

Wow, you guys are fast. That picture looks exactly like mine. What I'm having trouble with is on the opposite side of what that picture shows, where the throttle linkage from the carb comes down to.
I didn't know I could remove the governor. Is that hard to do and is there a reason I shouldn't?
Thanks for everyone's quick response.
Old 01-31-2009, 07:44 PM
Love To Build!

You should have an arm behind your fuel tank, there is a link rod that connects that up to the governor vane and then there is another link rod that connects the governor vane to the swing arm on your carb and last but not least another link rod inside a small spring that connects the swing arm to the butterfly valve. Does this sound about right?
Old 02-01-2009, 10:41 AM

Okay, I think I'm missing quite a bit of the linkage after staring at parts diagrams long enough. Here's a pic of what it has. Shouldn't there be another pivot arm up top with another rod going down to the throttle linkage? Can anyone tell from this pic what all I'm missing as far as throttle linkage? Does anybody have a clear pic from the same angle? Thanks.
Click image for larger version

Name:	throttle-linkage-resize.JPG
Views:	385
Size:	155.8 KB
ID:	2317
Old 02-01-2009, 11:18 AM
Love To Build!

Your throttle looks fine the way it is set up as long as your throttle cable hooks up under the fuel tank like the pic I posted. You have the link coming from the governor control arm up to the swing arm and then a link from the swing arm to the butterfly vavle, your throttle return spring which shuts the butterfly vavle when you let off the gas should be located under the fuel tank. The one linkage that you have that is not connected is your choke which would connect to a control lever mounted to your recoil cover. What I can't tell is what that link or cable is coming in from the left of the pic that hooks to the bottom of the swing arm. What is that?
Old 02-01-2009, 11:57 AM
Love To Build!

If that is your throttle cable then the linkage set up you have wont work that way. Try this page about 1/3 of the way down and see if it helps.

http://www.tpub.com/content/recovery...-14P/index.htm

Last edited by thgrahamjr; 02-01-2009 at 12:18 PM. Reason: To add link.
The Following User Says Thank You to thgrahamjr For This Useful Post:
knanmo (02-01-2009)
Old 02-01-2009, 01:21 PM

Thanks. That other cable going off to the left hooks onto the brake. I guess it pulls the throttle closed when you brake? It was way too tight, and wouldn't let the throttle move at all. I got it working, somewhat. I have one more gov spring I can't see where it hooks to. It will run and drive, but only about half speed. If I reach back and work the throttle by hand, it runs good.
Old 02-01-2009, 01:34 PM
Love To Build!

There is no other brakes on it besides that? Also try taking that spring off on the butterfly vavle on the back side and see if that helps with the throttle. But if you push the gas pedal and the throttle only opens part way then it sounds like you need to adjust your throttle cable.
Old 02-01-2009, 03:07 PM

No, it has a brake. That cable is connected to it with a spring. Not sure of the need for it. I guess if you were to push the gas and brake at the same time, it would negate the gas pedal.

As far as the throttle, it opens fully and works just as it should when the engine is off. But when it's running, it opens fully for a split second, then it's like the governor is pulling it back half way. It barely has enough oomph to get the thing moving, then will only go about 5-10mph. If I reach back and hold it open, it'll get going just fine.

Thanks for the link. The pictures at the top right of this page http://www.tpub.com/content/recovery...01-14P_137.htm look like what I need. I just can't see it very well. Tried to enlarge with photo software, but it gets too blurry to make sense of. I'm pretty sure my problem is somewhere in my spring setup. I don't suppose you have any other pics like that but larger?

If I were to bypass the governor linkage all together, is there anything I need to know before hand? Is the motor going to blow running it full throttle with no governor? Thanks for all your help.
Old 07-23-2009, 08:24 PM
Dean

Default Have a similar problem

I hope the fix worked for you. I'm working through something similar. Someone has worked on the lower linkage. The throttle has to be moved a lot before the governor spring starts pulling on the governor. I think that the spring that's in there must be too long. Any way I can tell for sure?
Old 11-04-2009, 08:54 PM

The photo below is exacly what I see on my Kart. But I need to see what is BEHIND this. How does the butterfly pull on the governor? Is it a spring?

http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l1...s/100_0725.jpg
Old 11-04-2009, 09:43 PM

Sorry. Image link was bad. I should probably start my own thread for this...
Old 05-22-2012, 02:07 AM

hey yea i got a old manco gokart off a friend and its been sitting for years and i got it running but it dont have the throttle hooked up and all the linkages are weird i just cant figure it out its the same as all the other engines on this page if i can get any help because its just giveing me a head ach
Old 05-22-2012, 02:19 AM

Thanked 1,087 Times in 942 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick911 View Post
hey yea i got a old manco gokart off a friend and its been sitting for years and i got it running but it dont have the throttle hooked up and all the linkages are weird i just cant figure it out its the same as all the other engines on this page if i can get any help because its just giveing me a head ach
Hi Nick. Start a new thread and ask your questions there. Post a pic of your engine and linkages before we can help you