The US820 Thread.... Go 2-Strokes!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jerryburger

Admiral Annoy
Reaction score
FYI: I contacted these guys and asked about a 6.5hp engine, horizontal shaft. $675.

Wow aren't 2 strokes inherently cheaper to manufacture? Must be made from Ultanium. Gee, sign me up for 2 or 3. What a deal.

...and that's why we're not tripping over 2-strokes in this forum. Not too available, WAY over-priced (in this case) and not the easiest to mod for our usage. Start nabbing all the LB's you can! We'll work the clutch issues out later.

jr dragster T

Reaction score
I wish they where more affordable. I'd like to build like a 2 stroke minibike or something sometime. But at $675 for 6.5 horse that's out of my price range.

SpyGuy

Hooligan
Reaction score
Hell, I could buy several pocketbike engines for that price. Even better, I could buy a brand-new european pocketbike for that price, and still have money left over for mods.

Jerry: I believe these engines are made from the ever-popular Unobtainium.

I totally agree about the outrageous price for the engines, Tyler. They look like good engines, and would pretty much suit my needs, but I don't have that kind of cash to throw down. If I need a 6.5hp engine, I'll go to Harbor Freight and pick up one of their Hondas for about $200.

Jerryburger

Admiral Annoy
Reaction score
Even if I had the money, I wouldn't pay that kind of $ for what they're offering. Much more impressive things can be done with $675 and the know-how that is floating around this forum. Think about it.
Everyone here is better than throwing that kind of money to this company. What the F_ck are they thinking?

I guess I should've checked the price before I even suggested this thread. Sorry guys.

Jerryburger

Admiral Annoy
Reaction score
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryAssburger View Post
....or a really tricked-out lawnboy with a torq-a-verter machined to fit.
You could do that for $300.
Thanks

My point exactly. If I were to pay $675 for a 2-stroke, I'd be expecting an 80+ hp snow-mo motor with the clutch & parts complete, delivered to my door. Not a lightly modified utility motor that puts out 9hp. Garage sales and old roto-tillers yield better finds.

Jerryburger

Admiral Annoy
Reaction score
Or one of those crazy V6 2 stroke marine engines!
Thanks

AGREED! It's been bounced around this forum a bit, but I can't help but stare at my old/new OMC 115hp V4 and wonder "what if"?

The cooling-passages issue would probably be the toughest part to take care of, along with shortening the mid-section as much as possible so that a guy could utilize the 90 degree lower unit/reduction gears. I'm sure someone has done it somewhere, but 100hp at a reliable 5500 rpm would be unreal.

I was also looking at the 2cyl Mariner/Mercury 15hp as a possible candidate. VERY small powerhead dimensions.
And then there's the thousands of 25-50hp twins out there.
Probably would require a good sized radiator and electric fan, powered by the motor's built-in generator.

Kenny_McCormic

Kartless....
Reaction score
I believe the engine unbolts from the trans, from there its just Machining a plate for the coolant and exhaust. Depending on the pump location you might need to use an external pump, SBC pump would owrk well(in and out are both hoses IIRC) running off the PTO.

Jerryburger

Admiral Annoy
Reaction score
...usually the pump impeller is way down below water-level, just above the plate above the prop. Probably would have to be an electric pump.
On a slightly different note, an old lower unit could be used as a 90 degree drive for a regular vertical engine project....

Kenny_McCormic

Kartless....
Reaction score
Electric pump FTL, belt drive it.

Back of a SBC pump, this could easily be integrated into the cover plate.

Status
Not open for further replies.