Thanks to my little engine that could.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BradenM

Etre Et Durer.
Reaction score
This is a tribute to my Honda GX140.

It started out pumping water, and somehow found it's way onto
You started life eager and fresh pumping water, and somehow wound up on an ignorant boys go kart. Nobody changed its oil, pieces went missing, it was thrown around quite a bit. After a few years of this, the ignorant boy bought a shiny new clone, and discarded it sat, no longer wanted.

When I found it, it needed a clean and a tune, and it needed it quick. I opened it up, removed its governor and tuned it up as best I could. I gave it a high flow intake, a shiny new header, and a much needed de-carbonization. I canabalised its output shaft to make my clutch work, and I had a lot of fun.

Late one summers day, I received a visit from the bacon telling me to stop driving my go kart in my street. And so for several months it sat disused.

Today, I decided to pull it out and give it a clean up. It was sitting under a tarp outside, and admittedly I'd abused it too. The air intake had taken a hit at some point, allowing all sorts of crap into the carb. The tarp had slipped off in part, and rust had kicked in.

But that little GX140 started first pull. And for this I thank it.

This isn't intended all to be mushy, it has a serious point. The GX series engines are the most reliable in the world; I've pulled the gov out, there is no header or muffler anymore, it has a super ghetto intake. It sat outside in the elements for 3 months. The fuel was starting to get stale. But, it started first pull.

Anybody else want to share any stories like this? And mods, please move it if in wrong section :).

Kaptain Krunch

Pro Junk Collector
Reaction score
you want reliable? Old 1960's or 70's Mac pro, sat for 10 years, was pulled out of basement, with nothing but a new plug and fresh gas started right up 3rd pull.

1950's Case tractor, 4 cyl, was given to us a while back, was kept outside without cover at all for 15+ years, started up every time with a little dry-gas every so often. One spring we went to start it and it was seized, we put some marvel mystery oil down each cylinder, let it sit for a few days, drained it out and BAM started right up.

Old Ariens rear engine friction disc rider, got it for free because it wouldn't start, turns out the flywheel key sheared. Put in a new key, ran like a champ. Kept it outside its while life with the engine completely exposed, never once cleaned the carb, never cleaned the airfilter or even changed the oil. Beat the hell out of it, drove it like a go kart, pulled heavy **** around for my dad with it, engine lasted for 3 years of that till it finally wouldnt start in the spring.

theo

Reaction score
Good stories, but one can see why the odd kart engine blows up.
:rolleyes3:

theo

Kenny_McCormic

Kartless....
Reaction score
My dad has this old Mall tool 48" 2 man chain saw from the 40s, it sat 10 years when we got it. After we drained the old gas from the tank(consistency of glue) and filled it with fresh it was screaming 3 pulls later. We did not clean the carb, just opened the tank vent, opened the gas valve, flipped the choke, pull, pull(sputter), pull(VROOOOM!). Now it runs in 2 pulls.

newrider3

Reaction score
The good ol' Briggs 13 series flathead is one of the most reliable engines I've ever seen. The older ones from the 70's and before always seem to want to run, no matter how long they've been sitting.

crazycart

RedNek Engineering
Reaction score
1970's john deer 212 tractor. 12 horse kohler cast iron block. The bastard has never had the carb cleaned once,hasn't had plug changed in 15+ years, sits outside without a tarp all year round, fires up right away without problems. Stump pulling power(literally pulled stumps with it before), tire chains, 100 LB rear tire weights. Shes a beast

Tony

Reaction score
i Had a mcculloch chainsaw that was in my basement for 20 years. i took the carb off and squirted gas in it and it started right up.

Kaptain Krunch

Pro Junk Collector
Reaction score
1970's john deer 212 tractor. 12 horse kohler cast iron block. The bastard has never had the carb cleaned once,hasn't had plug changed in 15+ years, sits outside without a tarp all year round, fires up right away without problems. Stump pulling power(literally pulled stumps with it before), tire chains, 100 LB rear tire weights. Shes a beast
Those old deer's ran forever, we got a 70's 300 i think or 310 its got a 16hp kohler cast iron block, lives outside without a tarp, for the past 10+ years its tilled over 5 acres per year. Never changed the oil, never cleaned the carb, nothing. My dad did rebuild it once, but it wasnt needed. He isnt the smarted...today when i said i should clean the carb on my tractor before i start it he said "your tractor has a carb?" :roflol:

BradenM

Etre Et Durer.
Reaction score
The engine just keeps on giving, but I'm going to retire it and bolt on my 8hp Kohler or 160cc Victa 2 stroke. The engines been abused as hell, and still starts first pull; I wanted to hear some simmiler stories and for people looking for a reliable engine, this thread may help.

Status
Not open for further replies.