Tap and Die shaft threading

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cotmullion

Mechanical nut
Reaction score
I have bought a 41 size chain, 10 tooth, 3/4 inch bore Max Torque clutch from MFG supply for my mininbike, and as it is in the states and I'm in the UK, it will take a while. Anyway, the shaft on my engine is about half the length as a typical Briggs 3hp shaft, and therefore the clutch would overlap the shaft a little, which isn't a problem with the keyway, and the set screws. But that's the thing: Which side are the set screws on? The keyway side or the opposite? If they are on in a place out of contact with a shaft, then I will have to drill a hole on the end of the shaft and use a Tap and Die on the hole. Will this work?
I am also building a chopper and that has a clutch with the same size bore and keyway, and that fits the minbike fine, so the clutch fitting the shaft will work and isn't wobbly despite what it sounds. But it has no set screws and the chain size is 520, so I chose to buy a new one for the minibike.

Cotmullion

Mechanical nut
Reaction score
Yeah the key isnt very long in most of the cent clutch's. Normally about 5/8" like you said.

But that might not be a problem. The key on my other clutch is on the bell side (opposite end to the sprocket), and that fits great. If the set screws are the same end too, its all good.

Status
Not open for further replies.