Take off

Justincredible

Reaction score
Hello new here. If a known post exist please point me in the right direction. I have a go kart with a 212cc predator engine. Long story short. I removed the govenor. But the go kart has always tried taken off on me upon start up. I can get it to a point while adjusting carb not to roll but once I hit gas and stop it’ll die. Please help!

Joe-405

Enjoying New Projects
Reaction score
I would start by cleaning the carburetor.

and the governor gives it throttle for a quick second when you start it. So most of the time you have to mimic that for them to start easier.

itsid

Staff member
Reaction score
drop the idle speed of the engine a bit

the predators are quite bad at idling and they run a tad too high (@1800rpms)
just at our usual clutch engagement speeds
(holds true for most off the shelf centrifugal clutches ans well as stock series 30 TCs)
so a well idling predator will ALWAYS engage the clutch ever so slightly already.

drop it until the engine is barely running
(that's where the cleaned carb comes in.. you need it to be perfectly clean in order to even allow a lower idle speed)
if you can drop below 1600 rpms you should be good, 1400 would be ideal
(1200 is what true hondas idle at ... hence the engagement speed of the clutches))

if you cannot drop the speed, you need the next stiffer clutch/TC garter springs [usually those are for 2400 full lock instead of 2200]
that buys you the 200 rpms for clutch engagement at 2k instead of 1.8k

'sid

Joe-405

Enjoying New Projects
Reaction score
And we forgot to mention if you lower the idle speed make sure there is slack in the throttle cable or it won’t idle down like you want it to.

Justincredible

Reaction score
Oh boy yeah carb was filthy. I will try this. I truly appreciate it. thanks Sid and joe.

Thing. What throws me off is last time I had low rpms and hit the brake it would die on me. I almost had it. 1/16” turn and it dies on me. Ok so I need to get a TC garter. I’ve search hard to find? What comes up is torque converters. Is that what I need? But wow what a significant difference.

JTSpeedDemon

2019 Build Off Winner!
Reaction score
drop the idle speed of the engine a bit

the predators are quite bad at idling and they run a tad too high (@1800rpms)
just at our usual clutch engagement speeds
(holds true for most off the shelf centrifugal clutches ans well as stock series 30 TCs)
so a well idling predator will ALWAYS engage the clutch ever so slightly already.

drop it until the engine is barely running
(that's where the cleaned carb comes in.. you need it to be perfectly clean in order to even allow a lower idle speed)
if you can drop below 1600 rpms you should be good, 1400 would be ideal
(1200 is what true hondas idle at ... hence the engagement speed of the clutches))

if you cannot drop the speed, you need the next stiffer clutch/TC garter springs [usually those are for 2400 full lock instead of 2200]
that buys you the 200 rpms for clutch engagement at 2k instead of 1.8k

'sid

Another thing I would like to note is that Max-Torque SS clutches engage at 2200 RPM off the shelf with full lock at 2400 RPM and can have their spring changed out. The cheap generic clutches engage at 1800 RPM. So in case anyone ever has that kind of problem, it's out there.