Supra turbo project

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kaptain Krunch

Pro Junk Collector
Reaction score
Just picked up this diamond in the rough. Its got the 3.0 straight six, 24v DOHC. Its a factory intercooled turbo, and a 5 speed. So basically my dream car. It needs a head gasket which was a pretty common problem for these things, and a tiny bit of body work but overall its in pretty good shape.

It came with a bunch of gaskets, including the head gasket and manifold gasket, and it also came with a new seal for the targa top, which actually doesnt even leak.

So far i have it torn down to the point where im ready to take off the head, probably gonna do that today. Unfortunately i pulled the turbo off and found a little more shaft play than i'd like, so im gonna have to rebuild it or possibly just upgrade.

Goal for now is to get it running on the turbo that i have, make sure it runs good, and shifts good. Then go from there.

Stock specs for the motor are 235hp and 255ft/lbs of torque, My goal is about 300hp to the rear wheels, which shouldnt be very hard.

Attachments

• 1026120803-00.jpg
    1026120803-00.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 25
  • 1026120803-01.jpg
    1026120803-01.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 24
  • 1026120804-00.jpg
    1026120804-00.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 24

Doc Sprocket

Reaction score
Very cool! We had a Supra when I was young ('86, I think). Brings back memories. Very nice car. My very first car was a predecessor- a 1977 Toyota Celica ST fastback. 2.2L, 5 speed. Quite similar overall to the old Nissan (Datsun) 240's.

Enjoy!

Doc Sprocket

Reaction score
Oh yeah! I had that thought once or twice... :D

Just before I retired my '77 ST, I spotted a '76 GT at a gas station. I walked over to the pump the guy was at, pointed to my car, and asked him if he might be interested in selling. About a month later, I was driving it!

I really did love those cars. Great look, great feel, great everything. Very predictable in the winter, too.

Kaptain Krunch

Pro Junk Collector
Reaction score
I should be able to get 300 very easy, and still be pretty reliable. People get quite a bit out of these blocks 600+ isnt a very hard achievement. Just takes money. But i really dont need more than 300 haha.

fowler

Reaction score
it is a toyota after all, hard to kill

surly u could screw the way scape right in and get that extra presure
quick cheap power

Kaptain Krunch

Pro Junk Collector
Reaction score
Is it seriously that simple? Just adjust the waste gate?

You can shim the waste gate, but its kind of a ghetto way to do it. The right way is an actual boost controller, you can get manual boost controllers for like $30.

However, i still wont get past 11psi, as i understand it the stock ecu will cut fuel/spark after 11 psi. Not 100% positive on that tho.

HellSpawn

Reaction score
300 is a relatively easy goal with this platform, but I can guarentee you will get the sickness and won't be able to stop at 300. That seems to be a pretty common thing with Supras.

Nice find though. Would love to find a clean project supra around here (most people think they're made of gold around here), although I'm more in the market for a MKIV but I'd settle for a MKIII.

Kaptain Krunch

Pro Junk Collector
Reaction score
Got the head off today. Looks pretty good inside, no pitting knicks or scratches. good bit of coolant tho haha. Going to clean up the head and check to see if it needs to be machined tomorrow.

Rustydog2010

NZ Nutta :|
Reaction score
You can shim the waste gate, but its kind of a ghetto way to do it. The right way is an actual boost controller, you can get manual boost controllers for like $30.

However, i still wont get past 11psi, as i understand it the stock ecu will cut fuel/spark after 11 psi. Not 100% positive on that tho.

Usually you can remove the boost sensor and waste gate solenoid. Thats what I did on both my SR20DET's.

I don't trust those bleed off controllers. They don't hold boost steady, they are shocking for boost spikes. EBC is the only way to go. Or just get a uprated waste gate actuator.

Kaptain Krunch

Pro Junk Collector
Reaction score
Usually you can remove the boost sensor and waste gate solenoid. Thats what I did on both my SR20DET's.

I don't trust those bleed off controllers. They don't hold boost steady, they are shocking for boost spikes. EBC is the only way to go. Or just get a uprated waste gate actuator.

Thanks for the tip, i never tried one of the bleed off ones, just heard they worked alright, but definitely dont want spikes. Cant afford an EBC, if i bypass the waste gate wont it build too much boost?

Checked head for warpage. Im out about .009 in the center, so i'll be getting it decked as little as possible. Pulled the head all apart and used the hot tank at school to save some machine shop cost, it had BRAND NEW valves seals...unfortunately the idiot who put them in, put them in backwards. Just shows a little knowledge is far worse than NONE.

Last edited:

Rustydog2010

NZ Nutta :|
Reaction score
Thanks for the tip, i never tried one of the bleed off ones, just heard they worked alright, but definitely dont want spikes. Cant afford an EBC, if i bypass the waste gate wont it build too much boost?

Bypass the waste gate? If you leave it disconnected then yea, it will boost until she blows. I meant to upgrade the actuator, they are normally cheap as. Just install that with a hose from the hot side of the intercooler piping and to the waste gate actuator. It will run a constant boost pressure, it wont be adjustable.

Personally, I would rather that than boost spikes from the manuel controller.

It had BRAND NEW valves seals...unfortunately the idiot who put them in, put them in backwards.

:roflol: Ahh some people never cease to amaze me.

Chan

Reaction score
Least it isn't an mkiv, I had a 16gtwin Turbo stealth few years back. Nice car and good luck with her.

fowler

Reaction score
Saw one of these trying to drive around in the wet today
Don't think the bloke was havering much fun trying to keep it straight

But it looked stick and it had some go

How much does it weight?
Looked like this bloke was literally getting blown off the road

Status
Not open for further replies.