supercharger

Thepartsguy

Reaction score
here is a cool image I found

View attachment 146197
use an amr and note it’s rotation because I do not know if the amr can be driven backwards. Smog pumps driven off the crank are spinning in reverse. Hence why mike clements spun his off the flywheel side to get the pump rotation correct. Many tales of the smog pumps exploding under pressure. And one story of a serious backfire.

Thepartsguy

Reaction score
$1,500 Porsche smog pumps are the closest to a mini roots blower I have found.AB8ED3B6-76B8-4C59-A835-AA0A466F9C45.jpeg

A Manco Dingo

Reaction score
What was the smog pump mike used? also i cant afford a 1,500$ smog pump the amr300 is 150$. and the one in this photo looks like an actual supercharger
F5C674CF-CA88-4981-81E8-CD72B49242B0.png

Last edited:

Thepartsguy

Reaction score
What was the smog pump mike used? also i cant afford a 1,500$ smog pump the amr300 is 150$. and the one in this photo looks like an actual supercharger
View attachment 146202
Custom built one off. Not a kit or anything buyable today. Use an amr300 or a smog pump and try your luck with boost. It’s been tried many times before.

bob58o

SuckSqueezeBangBlow
Reaction score
maby I will think about it what is the condition
I bought it but never got around to using it. Is was one of those being sold as “rebuilt.”

I was going to replace the pulley but struggled getting it off.

I’ll get some photos.
The torch I used to apply heat might have compromised the gasket / sealer.
I might need to chase the threads after getting aggressive trying to remove the pulley.image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

bob58o

SuckSqueezeBangBlow
Reaction score
The ribbed pulley looks like it might be a bit bent in a few spots, I would probably want to replace it.

I could do $75 with free shipping considering the condition. Otherwise I will just keep for parts.IMG_5539.jpegIMG_5538.jpegIMG_5537.jpeg

Darren

Reaction score
What sort of power increase % is expected from using a supercharger, it's obviously been done a few times.
How do you get over the parasitic forces absorbed by the supercharger when attempting to drive off, is this where a cvt has to be used?
An interesting thread worth keeping an eye on

Thepartsguy

Reaction score
What sort of power increase % is expected from using a supercharger, it's obviously been done a few times.
How do you get over the parasitic forces absorbed by the supercharger when attempting to drive off, is this where a cvt has to be used?
I honestly think a hansen/Hinson actual blower setup as the whole purchased kit running 20+ pounds would be a monster alive..

Now a non factory style smogpump/amr setup? If I had to guess more for looks.

Edit: How to overcome the parasitic loss? BARBARIC just keep overdriving the pump.

Last edited:

A Manco Dingo

Reaction score
Its pretty hard to estamate how much power increce a supercharged it just
depends how you tune it i was going to a tuning shop and let them tune it.(because last time i tried my engine exploded and the valve cover shot off when doing a pull)

Denny

Canned Monster
Reaction score
On a car whether it’s turbocharged or supercharged the losses are absorbed by the increased power. A 50% power increase is not unheard of on a mild V8 engine with boost under 10psi. On a 1 lunger, it’s anyone’s guess due to the lack of dyno testing and comparative analysis.

bob58o

SuckSqueezeBangBlow
Reaction score
I think I might have an old laptop that has Performance Trends Engine Analyzer on it.

Thst is one way to try to see ideal power output without actual dyno testing.
Another way to think about it is Effective Compression Ratio, to add on top of static and dynamic. I forgot the formula for Effective C.R. And remember there were conflicting formulas when I looked last.

bob58o

SuckSqueezeBangBlow
Reaction score
Here is an example of what the software inputs and spat outs were like… It seemed close enough to be useful at the time. After using “efficiency factors” to get numbers close to expected. It never let me fix timing constant, but instead gave ideal ignition timing for each rpm and gives knock warnings when internal pressures might be too high. I found this to be very “conservative” to play it safe. I always got knock warning unless I bumped the octane really high.

Some flow data came from Bobs or Minibike flow bench testing posts.
Some efficiency factors I manipulated to get close the this old dyno data from Gary “Sneaks” C

Here is an 8.5 CR, 27/25mm Hemi Head with CL1 camshaft, stock carb, and 18" x .990" ID straight pipe exhaust. I assume the cfm for the stock carb doesn't include the stock airbox. So I guess this would be as close as I can get to stage 1 upgrades with CL1 camshaft.

11.7 HP at 5000 RPM

IMG_5552.jpegIMG_5553.jpeg

I forgot how much fun this software was.
Engine building for INTPs.

Last edited: