Stick Vs. Flux Core

Status
Not open for further replies.

vozzy

Big Member
Reaction score
I need a welder for the garage, and can stick and MIG weld. Problem is I've never used Flux Core welders. Seems like they have the control of a MIG, but what's the downside? Stick welders are cheap, but lack the control on small parts I've found. Any opinions on Flux Core? Either way I can't afford a decent MIG right now.....

KieranM

Doin It!!
Reaction score
i would go with stick, once you know how high or low to weld thin/thick steel thats half the battle, the rest is learning how to get a nice bead/pool. I always use stick, never used mig before.

Kenny_McCormic

Kartless....
Reaction score
Flux core is sort of in between mig and stick, with tig/oxyacetylene being the most precise process. If you can handle it a good sized oxyacetylene setup with a good assortment of torch tips will fulfill all of your welding needs, big, small, steel, aluminum, cast iron(braze it), it doesn't matter.

freakboy

the names 'mater
Reaction score
Flux core is sort of in between mig and stick, with tig/oxyacetylene being the most precise process. If you can handle it a good sized oxyacetylene setup with a good assortment of torch tips will fulfill all of your welding needs, big, small, steel, aluminum, cast iron(braze it), it doesn't matter.

on large pannels and stuff oxyacetylene sucks cause it will warp it to hell... and i dont think oxyacetylene is any good for really thick stuff just cause how much heat you need...

oscaryu1

Reaction score
Stick is probably MUCH easier to learn. You yourself control the feed rate... versus a noobie (me) on a flux core welder, took a while to learn. Definitely got the hang of it now... :)

Anyone try a Harbor Freight MIG before? I've taken their flux core wire feed welders to hell and back (I never actually followed the duty cycle, I've welded until I tripped my breaker :eek:)

freakboy

the names 'mater
Reaction score
Stick requires 10x more skill then any wire feed setup Oscar, Think arc gap controll with Arc, You dont just drag most rods like many people think. Theres only very few drag rods.

tylers right.. i can lay a killer bead with mig/ flux core that makes it look like a stack of dimes on end.. but stick it looks like a pig **** on the metal...:furious2:

oscaryu1

Reaction score
Really? :eek: Next year our machine shop class is starting with "stick because it's easier" o_O

Kaptain Krunch

Pro Junk Collector
Reaction score
Maybe if your welding with 6013 lol, but other than that as long as the settings are right mig is stupid simple. Go try stick welding with some 6010 and tell me its easier than mig.

Kaptain Krunch

Pro Junk Collector
Reaction score
6010/6011. It's not really a hard rod to weld with other then the coating being like spit on a stick and it chips off very easy but even a good 6010/6011 weld will look messy. Its a deep penetration fast setting rod. Usually used on pipeline capped off with 7014/7018.

Yea its not extremely hard, but it does take getting used to when your used to welding with 7018.

Haha one kid in our class didnt like the 6010 welding project we had, so he used 6013 and told the teacher it was 6010...haha you can guess how that went.

Kaptain Krunch

Pro Junk Collector
Reaction score
i don't really know anything about welding rods, just wondering whats so bad about 6013.

nothing wrong with 6013. probably one of the easiest rods to weld with. Just about impossible to mess up with, almost welds itself.

Status
Not open for further replies.