steering-help needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

landy mad luke

Reaction score
A friend and I are building a offroad go cart and are wondering how we couldmake a steering mecanisum.

cheers
luke

jr dragster T

Reaction score
My kart. Enjoy!

Hippie Mike

Reaction score
Steering Gear Box
Center Link
Pitman Arm
Idler Arm
Tie Rods

looking at the work you all have it look good nice you can get this junk yard or front in out of ol golf cart you did grate job

landy mad luke

Reaction score
steering

thanks for that jr dragster. that looks like a good idea.I was looking on a mig-welding website and I found this

would it work?

:cheers2: luke

Attachments

• kassabil9.jpg
    kassabil9.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 70

dthomp87

Reaction score
of course it would work but i dont recomend you do it that way as its more complicated than it needs to be. only thing is that **** would have to be very greased all the time.. that metal would rust and wouldnt be so smooth after some time of non use. also you would have to turn the steering wheel about 2 whole turns before it gets all the way over ~ depends on how you like to drive

jr dragster T

Reaction score
Yeah as Kenny said I made it. Take's a while and a good welder. Dont even attempt it with a flux core welder unless you like chipping and welding.

jr dragster T

Reaction score
Yeah sometimes mine arent bad. But I know some of Oscar's and some other welds I've seen from the $90 welder's are pretty messy looking as far as slag.

Kenny_McCormic

Kartless....
Reaction score
This is a $100, flux core welder "speedway series" its loaded with either lincoln or hobart brand wire, cant remember and its in the cold garage under a box of rods.

Kenny_McCormic

Kartless....
Reaction score
The chain is a cheap *** way out of buying a rack and pinion, even though lever type designs work best in a small kart because more than a quarter turn of the wheel is impossible, legs in the way.

KingCobra

TROLL CRUSHER INC.
Reaction score
jr dragster Tyler
did u make your steering wheel. if so, how

I made a chain steering wheel and would post a picture if I could. I cut the length of chain for the dia. I wanted. Noched the side of one link and slipped the other end of the chain through it and placed it on a 12" deflated tire. I then inflated the tire and spun it on a 3/4" shaft to check for straightness. When I finally got it true, I tacked each link togeather with my mig welder and then deflated tire and removed the chain ring and finished up with good welds, primarily on the botom side of the wheel so they looked hidden. Came out strong!!! It was just a test to see if it would work and it did!. Scott:thumbsup:

Status
Not open for further replies.