steam stuff

madprofessor

"Loose Cannon Creations"
Reaction score
In my HVACR industry there was a whole lot of steam work to do, especially on mfr. facilities like breweries, etc. Never saw anybody get hurt in a true steam explosion, but am aware of several lesser type steam injuries from lines blowing off, fittings cracking, discharges not given enough clearance, condensated hot water sprays, etc.
Please do treat all of your steam systems as dangerous from one end to the other, and everything in between. Never met a single person hurt by steam systems that planned on it happening.

Karts of Kaos

the many mowers guy
Reaction score
Just do me a favor and be safe. Steam explosions are no laughing matter. I’ve seen where they took out the side of a power plant. Superheated steam can reach over 2,000 degrees and a thousand pounds of pressure. Please do your research before building anything. I’m not trying to be a downer or put down your idea. I want to see you succeed and be alive with all your fingers, arms and legs to tell me all about it.
yeah my dads pretty woried too. i dont know what id use for a boiler yet. ill make sure o do small scale tests with a blast sheld( or being out of the vicinity and filemd or something.) and proper safty eqeptment.

Karts of Kaos

the many mowers guy
Reaction score
i actually talked to my dad about it some more. he said that there was already research don on stem boiler so i don't get to make thing explode for science

madprofessor

"Loose Cannon Creations"
Reaction score
Water heaters make pretty good low pressure boilers, as long as it's not one thrown away for rusting a leak around an element. Talking about a new one. One with an insulation jacket and outer skin provides some extra safety from explosion, would help diffuse the steam and water. I got a 7-gallon non-insulated unit for the church dishwasher really cheap at Home Depot, small enough to fit a gokart. 30-40-gallon home water heaters would be the way to go though, if there's room.

Karts of Kaos

the many mowers guy
Reaction score
. i was planing on building one. but maybe ill try that. ill have lots of saftey releases and stuff tho

Denny

Canned Monster
Reaction score
Nobody really plans on dying but yet it happens to people everyday. Most of the time without permission from the people it happens to and without warning.

madprofessor

"Loose Cannon Creations"
Reaction score
Must second Denny's caution on explosion, my responsibility as an unlimited certification technician demands it. There will always be safety issues with anything pressurized, even the refrigerant in your own home HVAC system.
I've personally been knocked out by HFC/phosgene gas, been physically thrown 20' by propane explosion, knocked onto my back by #2 fuel oil explosion, been scalded by a steam trap, and have seen a man missing half of his leg muscle that was cut through by a cracked steam pipe.
No, I'm not a pessimist at all. Just seen a lot, and care what happens to folks.