steam stuff

Karts of Kaos

the many mowers guy
Reaction score
so i built a compressed air engine(could be powered by steam) and well see how this progresses. i modified the cam with a mig welder but i did it worn it works but the valves end up opening at the same time on one stroke and then there's compression on the next so ill need to fix that. i also have a chevy v8 that i could possibly convert to steam. but that would be a long term project. what do yall think? where could i go with this new info?

Functional Artist

Reaction score
Interesting :popcorn:
How ya gonna supply the steam? :unsure:

Where are the pics?
...everyone knows, if there aren't any pics, it didn't happen :smartass:
...& your vid link 'denied' me :huh:

Denny

Canned Monster
Reaction score
Steam engines did not blow air through the lines. They blew steam. Locomotives usually ran around 100 psi and a lot of volume. My dad worked at a coal fired power plant and my grandfather started out running a steam switcher later a diesel for US Steel.

Denny

Canned Monster
Reaction score
You have to realize also water expands 1600 times it’s volume at boiling temps. You will need a boiler to withstand those temps and pressures.

Karts of Kaos

the many mowers guy
Reaction score
so i am only running it on compressed air as of yet but ill do some experiments with boilers in the future and keep yall posted. it may be a while bc ive go alot of school as of now tho.

Denny

Canned Monster
Reaction score
Just do me a favor and be safe. Steam explosions are no laughing matter. I’ve seen where they took out the side of a power plant. Superheated steam can reach over 2,000 degrees and a thousand pounds of pressure. Please do your research before building anything. I’m not trying to be a downer or put down your idea. I want to see you succeed and be alive with all your fingers, arms and legs to tell me all about it.

FlyFrog

Reaction score
just as a example take a water bottle with few threads for the lid unscrew a bit and leave a splash of water in it, take a lighter and hold underneth were the water is give it a min or two and the lid flies off... and you wont find that lid again