Starting the Frame

Status
Not open for further replies.

EastCoast

New member
Messages
190
Reaction score
0
Location
Nova Scotia, Canada
So .100" would be 2.539999999997257mm (2.5mm)

ok thanks now I need to find some seats to figure out how wide I need to make the frame at the seating area.
 

EastCoast

New member
Messages
190
Reaction score
0
Location
Nova Scotia, Canada
got a free motor today. well I got 2 free. One was a Honda pump 3.5hp







I took the pump off and it ran good. The pump was full rust and junk looked like a mouse was trying to build a home.
 

EastCoast

New member
Messages
190
Reaction score
0
Location
Nova Scotia, Canada
The other motor I don't know anything about it I was told it was off a ski-doo, I think it might be 2 stroke. Anyone know anything about this and or how to get it running?







 

lucasszy

New member
Messages
25
Reaction score
0
Looks like we're in the same boat.

Im making a kart with my 14 year old. The plan is for him to be able to take his 5 year old brother on it once in a while.

After digging around the dimensions that worked for me are 30 inches wide by 60 inches long.

With these dimensions, you should be able to squeeze two medium sized kart seats into the frame, then if necessary, build up a small surround for the left and right sides. I've already built the frame from 1/2 inch tubing (using a type of box design.

Check my own build thread to get an idea of where im going with it.

http://www.diygokarts.com/vb/showthread.php?t=10798

Cheers
 

EastCoast

New member
Messages
190
Reaction score
0
Location
Nova Scotia, Canada
Looks like we're in the same boat.

Im making a kart with my 14 year old. The plan is for him to be able to take his 5 year old brother on it once in a while.

After digging around the dimensions that worked for me are 30 inches wide by 60 inches long.

With these dimensions, you should be able to squeeze two medium sized kart seats into the frame, then if necessary, build up a small surround for the left and right sides. I've already built the frame from 1/2 inch tubing (using a type of box design.

Check my own build thread to get an idea of where im going with it.

http://www.diygokarts.com/vb/showthread.php?t=10798

Cheers

Looks good thanks for the info.
 

r_chez_08

Should be in the shop...
Messages
4,827
Reaction score
12
Location
Cornwall, UK
The honda should be ok for a kart staying on road on the flat, geared for 20mph or so, i would say.
I love how honda used to have such a range of similar cc gx engines:
Gx100
Gx110
Gx120
Gx140
Gx160
And now they only have
Gx100
Gx140
Gx160 etc.
I would use the other engine if you can get it going. It also looks like it has a torque converter, if you could find the driven part that would be a neat setup!
Remember: fuel, spark, compression.
If you have spark and compression, try putting a teaspoon of gas in the cylinder and see if the motor will fire.
Rob
 

EastCoast

New member
Messages
190
Reaction score
0
Location
Nova Scotia, Canada
Yeah I need to find a pull start housing and cord and find out what the mix would be as it is 2 stroke its 335cc not sure about the hp it would put out and it has no coil so it had to be points.
 

EastCoast

New member
Messages
190
Reaction score
0
Location
Nova Scotia, Canada
I have question about the Stub Axle Carriers. You use a 5/8 x 4" bolt and the tube is 3/4 OD and 1/2 ID and 2.5" long, but there is a lot of play between the bolt and the tube. Should the bolt not just fit into the tube snug or is there to be play?
 

Doc Sprocket

*********
Messages
15,677
Reaction score
151
Location
Ontario, Canada
I have question about the Stub Axle Carriers. You use a 5/8 x 4" bolt and the tube is 3/4 OD and 1/2 ID and 2.5" long, but there is a lot of play between the bolt and the tube. Should the bolt not just fit into the tube snug or is there to be play?

Is this from the book, you mean, or from another plan? How can a 5/8" bolt fit at all in a 1/2" ID tube?
 

Doc Sprocket

*********
Messages
15,677
Reaction score
151
Location
Ontario, Canada
Regardless of which frame design you settle on, you can still reference Champion's book for things like that. For what it's worth, I found my copy a few minutes ago and am now better prepared to answer any questions about it you may have...
 

EastCoast

New member
Messages
190
Reaction score
0
Location
Nova Scotia, Canada
The book is in mm. Says 140mm length of 22 mm diameter steel tube, 3mm minimum wall thickness for steering pivot housings. But all the bolt I have a t work are in standard. I have 1" OD and 3/4" OD round tube at work. What set up has others used? I want the bold to fit tight in the tube.
 

Doc Sprocket

*********
Messages
15,677
Reaction score
151
Location
Ontario, Canada
divide mm by 25.4 to get numbers in inches, and then use that to guide your selection of SAE fasteners. You want a fairly snug fit, with room for a sleeve, bushing, or grease, so make sure your selection is appropriate.
 

NABS

New member
Messages
3
Reaction score
0
Location
Maui Hawaii
if you are going to make it two seater, make sure that you even out the weight distribution (where the engine is placed / bulk weight of go kart) so that it runs smoothly and all of the tires have traction.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top