Starting My First Project

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scorch3

Reaction score
So tomorrow after school I'm stopping at Princess Auto to pick up a 6.5 hp Powerfist (Honda clone) engine, and start off this project which I have had rattling around in my brain for a while. I want to make a mini dirt bike mostly for power sliding but i would also like to be able to drive a decent top speed. SO now for the questions:

1. Would a 12:60 gear ratio be good for this?

2. Now I want to to do this as cheap as possible so would it be possible to just modify bicycles? I would just chop the frame and add engine mounts and use the original tires. V brakes on both wheels and weld a new sprocket where the old one was.

Any helps appreciated since this is the first time I've ever done a project with a motor involved so I'm pretty lost at the moment.

Scorch3

Reaction score
Scratch the cheap ideas above i just found a broken pocket bike for $40 sounds like the motors toast but the frame, wheels, disc brake, throttle, clutch and sprocket are working... well maybe not the clutch but oh well. I don't think my engine will fit in but maybe i can chop and stretch the frame or something, i'm figuring its still a good deal just to get the other odds and ends.

Ferrari motors15

Reaction score
I ave the sme motor the only problem i ave it's the gas door not recome when you press on the gas but you can put a spring and its perfect

Scorch3

Reaction score
Is your throttle really really stiff? Mine is but i think i can just loosen the bolt that holds it there... I'll have to do something or a spring will never be able to pull it back.

jr dragster T

Reaction score
Yeah most of these motor's have a bolt and 2 peice's of plastic as a friction point. That's because let's say it was used on a log splitter and you didnt want it to return to idle all the time. So just loosten the bolt and that's fine.

a spring will never be able to pull it back
Trampoline spring's:roflol:

Centertown Demon

Reaction score
just off the top of my head it seems like the chopper bicycles they use to sell at walmart would be perfect for what you want the back tire was big enough that a small dirt bike tire would fit with little modifacation i believe your motor would fit without cuting the fram just weld motor mount oh yeah dont scratch the cheap ideas poor boy like me have poor boy ways

Last edited:

Scorch3

Reaction score
I imagine the chopper idea would work but two disc brakes a clutch throttle and extra cables for $40 is a good deal even if i don't use the frame or wheels. I have exams and **** right now and my car is being a bit of a pain in the *** (idler pulley i think) so I won't be picking the bike up for like a week.

Scorch3

Reaction score
I picked the bike up today and I suppose I'll start a project log with some pictures and stuff when I have a chance. It looks like I might be able to get the engine in without modifying the frame at all but its cold dark and rainy out so I haven't had a real good look yet. I'll post a link to the project log when I get around to starting it.
I'm fairly sure its this bike:http://www.giovannibikes.com/Dirt-Bikes-23732/3544328-NEW-GIOVANNI-49cc-GAS/ProductInfo.aspx

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.