Sprocket onto axle

Status
Not open for further replies.

tykenfitz

Reaction score
Hey guys I was thinking about doing something with a live axle, but I've never used one b4 so I'm gonna need some help. First of all the axles on NT look like this from the side right?

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_6970_21285_21285

so I would need a hub to put the sprocket onto the axle but the hubs on NT look like the pic above wont I need one that looks like this?

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_6970_35760_35760

Horrible drawings but you get what I mean.

jr dragster T

Reaction score
The axle has a keyway (Slot) and the hub has a keyway. Most 1" axles have a 6.35 mm or 1/4" wide keyway cut into them. You buy 1/4 x 1/4" square keystock and insert it into the hub and axle locking them together.

jetlag

Reaction score
The axle has a keyway (Slot) and the hub has a keyway. Most 1" axles have a 6.35 mm or 1/4" wide keyway cut into them. You buy 1/4 x 1/4" square keystock and insert it into the hub and axle locking them together.

I'm sorry, I don't quiet understand this.

Does the 1" axle from Northern Tool have a keyway slot across the whole axle or only on the ends?

Where do you get keystock from?

What is stopping it from sliding back and forth on the axle?

If the keyway on the axle is 1/4" deep, and on the hub is 1/4" deep...wouldn't the "keystock" have to be 1/2" x 1/4" to slide in?

pmat

noob
Reaction score
I'm sorry, I don't quiet understand this.

Does the 1" axle from Northern Tool have a keyway slot across the whole axle or only on the ends?

Where do you get keystock from?

What is stopping it from sliding back and forth on the axle?

If the keyway on the axle is 1/4" deep, and on the hub is 1/4" deep...wouldn't the "keystock" have to be 1/2" x 1/4" to slide in?
Yes it does, all the way across.

not too sure about the key stock

set screws on the sprocket holder and brake hold it down

and no idea.

theo

Reaction score
You can get keystock from any hardware store, bearing outlet or tool store.
Most hubs have 2 set screws one holds the hub in place and the other locks in the keystock.
The notch is 1/4 wide and 1/8" high.

theo

Status
Not open for further replies.