Springs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

exenos

Project Nut
Messages
1,217
Reaction score
0
Location
Ontario, Canada
They are talking about the valve springs. They push the valves back to closed position. The heavier the spring the faster it gets pushed back, allowing for a higher speed before valve float starts to affect the engine.
 

cOw

New member
Messages
175
Reaction score
0
Location
Raleigh, NC
Would upgrading the springs be a good thing to do for a stock engine? Or does it only matter in more modified ones?
 

exenos

Project Nut
Messages
1,217
Reaction score
0
Location
Ontario, Canada
I honestly cant say, although if I had to take a guess I would say no, I don't think it wouldn't help. I would wait for someone else to chime in though.
 

cOw

New member
Messages
175
Reaction score
0
Location
Raleigh, NC
Then wait is what I shall do...however, while on the topic, what would be the most efficient (time, money, impact) to increase performance on my cart. At the moment it is virtually all stock.
 

exenos

Project Nut
Messages
1,217
Reaction score
0
Location
Ontario, Canada
What most people suggest is a high flow/open exhaust and a high flow air filter and possibly a governor removal, although if you do the governor removal I would suggest that you read this http://www.diygokarts.com/vb/showthread.php?t=16518
After the filter, pipe and governor its typically a billet rod and flywheel with heavier springs like the 18lb ones mentioned in the thread you linked. The heavier springs help the engine to rev higher before valve float and the billet rod and flywheel are there to make sure nothing explodes on you.
 

cOw

New member
Messages
175
Reaction score
0
Location
Raleigh, NC
I read the governer thread, and all I want is to adjust it, not remove. However I still can't figure out how to do that. Is there any specific brand of exhaust or air filter that you reccomend? I am using a Predator 212 at the moment.
 

exenos

Project Nut
Messages
1,217
Reaction score
0
Location
Ontario, Canada
To be honest I cant help you with brands/what to get specifically. All I have ever done is make my own straight pipe and just removed the stock air box and leave it without a filter (not something I recommend doing). One issue with a straight pipe is that it makes the engine much louder.

You could try here though. http://www.affordablegokarts.com/index.php
They may not be the cheapest so I would shop around.
 

cOw

New member
Messages
175
Reaction score
0
Location
Raleigh, NC
Well, you know what they say, Louder is Better haha. Thanks for the help, and I will certainly look around.
 

cOw

New member
Messages
175
Reaction score
0
Location
Raleigh, NC
I just dont think I have the technical ability to safely do a governer removal, and then not destroy expensive parts of my cart. A simple adjustment will suffice for me. The hgh flow air filter sounds good, but I don't know if they make better ones for Predators.
 

exenos

Project Nut
Messages
1,217
Reaction score
0
Location
Ontario, Canada
Adorable go karts makes a air filter adapter for the predator carb. I think it's $13. The you just go buy the right sized air filter.
 

Amped

New member
Messages
180
Reaction score
0
Location
Port St Joe, Florida , U.S.A.
Putting heavier springs will allow your engine to rev higher but the higher it revs the more strain it puts on all components of the engine. If you want to improve engine performance create a stage plan
EXAMPLE.

stage 1 . high flow intake, high flow exhaust , governor removal. and high grade fuel you can play with gearing too.. I give you some governor info in minute.
stage 2. aluminium flywheel , carb up grade and better coil.
stage 3. billit connecting rod and piston w/better rings, better push rods , heavier spings ( I'd do the whle valve train at same time ) maybe the cam and bearings too.
Then you into cranks and machined heads ,bored cylinder,The more you do the more the mods cost .
As for the governor the name says it all . Its not speed governor (MPH/KPH) its a rev governor. 3600 rpm is an industry standard for the eqipmet these engines are in . When you remvoe it the engine can rev higher giving more power. TO BE CONTINUED!
 

Amped

New member
Messages
180
Reaction score
0
Location
Port St Joe, Florida , U.S.A.
Continued

BUT remember higher rmp = more engine strain. The stock springs will stater to flutter at a specific rpm range ( I don't know it ) acting as a rev limiter. If you keep your rpms below this point removing the governor is ok. Some will argue that.
If I have any of this wrong I apologise . But someone will correct me I hope . If you aren't racing just go with stage 1 above . The other stages are just examples not a build guide just for clearification. Everything that is done to an engine effects the rest of the engine. The more you build it the more strain it is put under.
 

landuse

Moderator
Staff member
Messages
18,797
Reaction score
594
Location
Pietermaritzburg, South Africa
Would upgrading the springs be a good thing to do for a stock engine? Or does it only matter in more modified ones?

No, it will not be a good thing. Springs are the last thing that you do. You will need a billet rod and flywheel first. Your stock internals will not handle the stress of the higher RPM's that the heavier springs allow
 
Last edited:

Doc Sprocket

*********
Messages
15,677
Reaction score
151
Location
Ontario, Canada
With regards to adjusting the governed maximum RPM- I have not played with a Predator, but I THINK they are like the GX's and clones. If you look behind the the hand throttle lever that is on the engine now, you should see a screw that stops how far that lever will travel. Backing out that screw increases the maximum governed RPM.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top