Springs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cOw

New member
Messages
175
Reaction score
0
Location
Raleigh, NC
Thanks. I will probably stuck with "stage1" as I dont plan to do any serious racing. I am not sure what kind of header I currently have, but I'll ask the guy I bougght it from tody. Does anyone have a reccomended high flow air filter?
 

tundrabeagle3

New member
Messages
448
Reaction score
1
Location
Ca
No, it will not be a good thing. Springs are the last thing that you do. You will need a billet cam and flywheel first. Your stock internals will not handle the stress of the higher RPM's that the heavier springs allow

This is correct except you don't need a billet cam to run high rpms you need a billet rod since it is the first part to break at high rpms made with stronger springs.

You can use any gx200 clone airfilter kit and it will fit the predator 212 . You will also need to rejet your carb to a 90 main jet when you change your air filter or muffler to better flowing parts. You can look on agk.com for governor removal instructions and any gx200 clone mods. They have pics and cover the basics pretty well. But i wouldnt change to 18 lb springs ungoverned like agk recommends unless I had a billet rod and flywheel for safety reasons.
 

r_chez_08

Should be in the shop...
Messages
4,827
Reaction score
12
Location
Cornwall, UK
No, it will not be a good thing. Springs are the last thing that you do. You will need a billet cam and flywheel first. Your stock internals will not handle the stress of the higher RPM's that the heavier springs allow

I think you mean billet connecting rod, billet cams and cranks are not really required unless you are making around triple the HP of a stock GX.

IMO, what you should do if you want to cheaply and safely improve your engine-
-Header $20
-air filter and adapter $16
-rejet carb $5-10 for some drills
-remove governor OR adjust the throttle screw on the lever. Do not try and adjust.

Clones are a great way to learn.
If you want to learn a little and are willing to spend around $200, you can get a billet rod and billet steel flywheel as well as upping the compression and a better cam.
 

exenos

Project Nut
Messages
1,217
Reaction score
0
Location
Ontario, Canada
The engine will start with the stock jet along as its not too cold out, it will just run very lean and might die under throttle.
 

cOw

New member
Messages
175
Reaction score
0
Location
Raleigh, NC
In that post he says to use a #65 drill if you are changing the air filiter, would the same drill bit work if you are upgrading both the air filter and the exhaust?
 

tundrabeagle3

New member
Messages
448
Reaction score
1
Location
Ca
my predator 212s wont start with the hp air filter and exhuast unless i switch the jet to a 90.
 

cOw

New member
Messages
175
Reaction score
0
Location
Raleigh, NC
Sweet. This seems like a pretty easy thing to do. So now what I need to do is:

Find out what kind of header I have (and if i should change it)
Get a better air filter
Rejet the carb
Adjust the governer a bit

For the HP filter and header, what kind do you reccomend?
 

exenos

Project Nut
Messages
1,217
Reaction score
0
Location
Ontario, Canada
my predator 212s wont start with the hp air filter and exhuast unless i switch the jet to a 90.

I guess that confirms it then, my clone is officially odd. It runs dark brown on the plug with a open pipe and no air filter/ box and hit 6.5K with the governor right out of the box without me even touching it. I think someone was playing with it at the factory :huh:
 

cOw

New member
Messages
175
Reaction score
0
Location
Raleigh, NC
So...I dont even know what do say...You either got lucky or screwed. Would dark brown mean you have too much fuel? And as far as hitting 6.5k with the governer...thats just plain weird.
 

exenos

Project Nut
Messages
1,217
Reaction score
0
Location
Ontario, Canada
So...I dont even know what do say...You either got lucky or screwed. Would dark brown mean you have too much fuel? And as far as hitting 6.5k with the governer...thats just plain weird.

Dark brown is approaching rich, but its still considered good.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top