Soapbox racing anyone?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cotmullion

Mechanical nut
Reaction score
This may seem a little out of place for this site, but I've loved soapbox racing for years. However, it isnt the childish, fathermade, slow, straight line driving, ugly, safe ones I love, but the more creative and dangerous. This is what I mean www.sfvisbf.com/main2.html

www.youtube.com/watch?v=ljOcB7Si5dw

I know it dosen't have an engine but there are garage made, motorless 'Soapboxes' which have reached 60mph! Heres a few pictures of mine. I just want people to be aware of the fun that no motor can bring.

Attachments

• DSC00524.JPG
    DSC00524.JPG
    135.6 KB · Views: 8
  • DSC00545.JPG
    DSC00545.JPG
    90.5 KB · Views: 5
  • DSC00546.JPG
    DSC00546.JPG
    87.4 KB · Views: 4

oscaryu1

Reaction score
I have just fallen in love o.o

I've always had throttle sticking on engines. It's scary when you're Clone's doing like 5500RPM and your solder-throttle cable gets stuck, and you "forgot" to wire up that kill switch.

And starting gas scooters with a throttle at WOT.

Hehe, I love it. Looks like those guys put more money into those frames then we do engines :eek:

kibble

I banned myself
Reaction score
That's gotta be the most insane thing I've seen.. in the past few days...Insanely fun looking that is!

Cotmullion

Mechanical nut
Reaction score
My soapbox pictured has reached 18 mph and that was before the steering wheel was added. I am yet to try it with the steering wheel, as you won't get speed wobbles and can reach higher speeds without crashing (pictured). 18 mph is quicker than it sounds!

Russ2251

AZUSA:Powered by LAWN-BOY
Reaction score
I just bolted a Briggs 5s (I still have it) to wood frame. Old semi-pneumatic
reel mower wheels were used along with a ½" bore direct drive sprocket and #35 chain.
It was so pathetically simple. One wheel drive with no brakes and no throttle linkage (hand operated). Steering was done with feet. The whole thing was just held together with wood screws and nails.
Most fun I ever had. The ultimate diy gokart.
Original engine (c. 1957):

Jerryburger

Admiral Annoy
Reaction score
I have many, including 2 or 3 washing machine engines.
They just don't ever die.

And it seems to me, that's what makes them the LITERAL utility engine. I'm pretty sure no-one gave a moment's thought to putting one on a gokart or minibike in B/S's engineering department! I think they were intended as a gas powered replacement for a single-speed electric motor! (Explains the carbs!)

Jerryburger

Admiral Annoy
Reaction score
ooops. I'm hijacker. Sorry. Down in AZ, you'd think we have good hills for this sort of thing, but it's pretty flat and hills aren't long here. Up in Spokane, there was a road that went from 2 ponds and twisted down the side of a hill in Lincoln Park. You guys would've loved it. We'd try to coast it the whole length on our bikes without using the brakes, and it was responsible for more than one pair of soiled underpants!

Russ2251

AZUSA:Powered by LAWN-BOY
Reaction score
I have a 1947 B&S model ZZ. Weighs in at 130 pounds with only 8 or 9 hp.
This thing is just plain big. Takes about 15 minutes to warm up. The flywheel alone weighs more than a current B&S 5 hp engine. Came off of a Sears lawn tractor.

Kenny_McCormic

Kartless....
Reaction score
Dad has a EARLY briggs mod 23, missing info plate but judging by parts catalogs and construction it was one of the first. Weighs a good 100lbs, should split logs nicely compared to the pos aluminum 1970 briggs 8hp that burns so much oil the engine cant handle eating all of it and drips on the ground from the PCV hose. But said POS still fires right up every time???

Status
Not open for further replies.