So...a streaker followed me home

Status
Not open for further replies.

lurch9

Reaction score
Update time! Everybody loves update time....
Got the new belt and chain on, and then I spun one of the rear tires. Much to my surprise one went forward and the other spun backwards. I knew that meant that there was a serious disturbance in the force. After some research I discovered I didn't have the live axle I thought I had. I had a bogus open diff made by comet. Well, this just wasn't gonna cut it. A little research gave me a breakdown of the internals, and a plan was hatched. Two side gears, two spider gears and a cross-shaft. Time to weld it up, Lincoln locker style. I welded the spiders to the cross-shaft, and then the spider setup to one of the side gears. I made sure to leave enough clearance to get the snap ring back on the axle shaft. The other side gear wasn't touched. Just stuck back in the housing and snap ring reinstalled. When the housing was bolted back together and the cross-shaft was indexed into the housing, the unwelded side gear meshed with the welded spiders, and the rear is now a locked live axle.

Attachments

• 20160520_114853.jpg
    20160520_114853.jpg
    365.3 KB · Views: 4
  • 20160520_120718.jpg
    20160520_120718.jpg
    314.8 KB · Views: 6
  • 20160520_122937.jpg
    20160520_122937.jpg
    284.6 KB · Views: 4

ezcome-ezgo

G'me sumthin to write on
Reaction score
Hmm.

Why would having a differential be a problem? Not to be a parts snob, but seems like that was a potentially valuable (?) or desirable (?) component that is now ruined. Someone might have straight up traded you a regular keyed axle shaft for it.

lurch9

Reaction score
Next up was the throttle. I needed a throttle return spring because the throttle mechanism is really stiff on the predator. I got a piece of aluminum angle and mounted it to the threaded holes on the front of the engine just under the gas tank. Then I installed a spring I got from tractor supply. Works great and looks pretty snazzy too.
After I got the return spring on I pressed the gas pedal and the throttle wire snapped. I removed the old wire and replaced it with a piece of welding wire from my welding machine.
So now the throttle is done and I'm waiting on the front tires. Last pic is how it sits now.

Attachments

• 20160520_134841.jpg
    20160520_134841.jpg
    213.9 KB · Views: 4
  • 20160520_134845.jpg
    20160520_134845.jpg
    338.5 KB · Views: 6
  • 20160520_141936.jpg
    20160520_141936.jpg
    295.2 KB · Views: 4

lurch9

Reaction score
Hmm.

Why would having a differential be a problem? Not to be a parts snob, but seems like that was a potentially valuable (?) or desirable (?) component that is now ruined. Someone might have straight up traded you a regular keyed axle shaft for it.

I wanted a live axle for the terrain I will be riding. It could have taken days, weeks, or months to find someone to trade me. This is not a restoration, just a fun toy to enjoy. I made my cart the way I wanted it with the skills I have. It took me 2 hours of labor to make it how I wanted it. As far as the component being ruined, it may be to some, but in my eyes it's better now. Through the research I did, I didn't find any posts online suggesting that this axle was the bee's knees, gotta have it, super axle. That is why I modded the axle to fit my needs. No disrespect to you or the Karting community.

ezcome-ezgo

G'me sumthin to write on
Reaction score
None taken, my friend. Just asking. You are getting close to having a roller. Keep the updates coming!

chancer

ɔ ɥ ɐ u ɔ ǝ ɹ
Reaction score
Did you loosen the nut on the manual throttle lever? usually after doing that the throttle will spring back on its own. But YES still use an additional spring.
If not... This may be why your throttle wire broke.
and did you say you are now using welding wire for a throttle cable?
That is brittle stuff! go to the bike shop or even wal mart and for just a few bucks you can get bicycle brake cable. much better option than welding wire.

lurch9

Reaction score
Thanks for the idea on the throttle cable. Yes, I loosened the nut on the mechanism but was still stiff. The welding wire was better than what was on it, but I'm sure that was a bandaid from the PO.

bigair49

Reaction score
and did you say you are now using welding wire for a throttle cable?
That is brittle stuff! go to the bike shop or even wal mart and for just a few bucks you can get bicycle brake cable. much better option than welding wire.[/QUOTE]

+1 Good call, and if it gets wet it will rust up pretty quick and possibly seize up on you.

Cool project so far man looks like it will be a fun ride. :cheers2:

lurch9

Reaction score
Update!

Swapped the throttle cable to a throttle cable from push mower. Mo bettah. So that is done. Front wheels and tires came in. Got them mounted and sent the oldest boy for a test ride. This thing scoots. Had issues with it dying while turning right. Did some research and it was the oil pressure switch. That's now disconnected and ready to rock for the boy tomorrow. The Lincoln locker is nice. With the turf tires out back the boy was able to drift through the turns on the track. It's gonna be tough to beat his lap times. Here's a pic of how she sits. All in total cost is $370. The smiles this things brings are priceless.

Attachments

• 20160523_221837.jpg
    20160523_221837.jpg
    271 KB · Views: 12

chancer

ɔ ɥ ɐ u ɔ ǝ ɹ
Reaction score
Cool story Bro. Love it when the kids are happy and Dads the hero.

Ok so the oil switch you disconnected, can be run to a switch on the steering wheel, to kill the engine. It is cool cause it is momentary switch so any button like a horn button or door bell will work. Many karts interrupt the ignition wire to ground out the spark and kill the engine. But that requires holding down a button till the engine dies.
Using the Low oil sensor wiring immediatly kills the engine at the single momentary touch of a button

bob58o

SuckSqueezeBangBlow
Reaction score
Update!

Swapped the throttle cable to a throttle cable from push mower. Mo bettah. So that is done. Front wheels and tires came in. Got them mounted and sent the oldest boy for a test ride. This thing scoots. Had issues with it dying while turning right. Did some research and it was the oil pressure switch. That's now disconnected and ready to rock for the boy tomorrow. The Lincoln locker is nice. With the turf tires out back the boy was able to drift through the turns on the track. It's gonna be tough to beat his lap times. Here's a pic of how she sits. All in total cost is $370. The smiles this things brings are priceless.

What is the bolt hole pattern on those front wheels? Did you buy the hubs?

A guy has these for sale, but it says 3.5" bolt circle?
https://chicago.craigslist.org/wcl/grd/5586025106.html

Status
Not open for further replies.