So...a streaker followed me home

Status
Not open for further replies.

lurch9

Reaction score
Picked this bad boy up on Sunday. It's complete. Needs some love in a bad way. The PO said it had been sitting up for about a year. Oil looked good and it had compression. Needs carb cleaned, air filter and battery. I will update the thread as I replace or freshen up different components. I still plan on building one or two from scratch. This one gives me a template to work from and it only cost $200. On to the pics:

Attachments

• 20160508_204824.jpg
    20160508_204824.jpg
    134.7 KB · Views: 23
  • 20160508_204844.jpg
    20160508_204844.jpg
    282.1 KB · Views: 24

bob58o

SuckSqueezeBangBlow
Reaction score
You can't keep it! Its owners will be looking and I'm sure its going to be flashing the neighbors in no time.

lurch9

Reaction score
I need a little guidance. Is it worth my time and effort to get this 5 horespowers tecumseh running or would I be better off putting a 212 predator in its place? Is the tecumseh a big enough turd to warrant the swap?

ezcome-ezgo

G'me sumthin to write on
Reaction score
A turd the Tecumseh is. No offense to the Indian Nation. Go with the Pred, you'll thank yourself later.

Poboy kartman

Senior Moments Member
Reaction score
Well...I've got a 5hp Tecumseh on mine that runs really well. Once you figure out which carb you need...you can get a new one for @ $20 on Amazon.

Just take the air filter off...spray a little carb or brake cleaner on the carb and crank it. If it runs for a second or two...then a new carb will probably be all it needs.

The Predator is a good engine with slightly more power, but that's going to set you back around $100.

lurch9

Reaction score
After a little quick math i get this: The tecumseh is electric start so it will need a battery, a carb, and an air filter assembly(doesn't have one currently), and a gas tank(cracked) at the very least. That's roughly $100 . That's alot of tacos to throw at an engine if it's deemed unworthy by DIYGK braintrust. That same $100 would buy the predator and kinda make me feel all tingly and whatnot. I would keep the tecumseh for a different project on down the road.

bob58o

SuckSqueezeBangBlow
Reaction score
From what I read, most people are much happier after this swap.

I thought the article in the link was about swapping to a Predator. It is actually a 211cc Robin EX21 7HP. But he is much happier after swapping the Tecumseh and changing gearing. Worth a read anyway.
http://www.key-ideas.com/TC-Sprocket-Change.htm

Lots of Youtube videos available with the Tecumseh to Predator swap.

You always wonder hhmmm if you don't do it....

chancer

ɔ ɥ ɐ u ɔ ǝ ɹ
Reaction score
There are a few guys that like Tec's. There a bunch that absolutely Hate them, and would not even use one for a boat anchor. I personally have never owned one. I have gathered that the problem is the Carb is a bad design. or they would otherwise be great little motors.
I hate small engine carb problems, I would buy the Predator and be done.

bob58o

SuckSqueezeBangBlow
Reaction score
Do you plan on modding the engine at all? Removing the Governor?

Depending on the budget... and fabrication skills....

Air Filter and Exhaust Mods, drilling main carb jet, and advancing ignition timing should get you 2-3 more HP out of the Predator 212cc. If you can make your own exhaust from the stock one... This can be real cheap HP!

lurch9

Reaction score
The elders have spoken! Predator it is. I will likely mod the engine. Remove governor, intake and exhaust and main jet with timing. Need to do more research on all that stuff now

lurch9

Reaction score
I picked up the predator and some tubes for the rear tires yesterday. I plan on getting the tires tubed and at least get this thing in the garage after work. Now I need to find out the correct belt to order online. BMI has multiple 30 series belts and I'm not sure how to decipher what I have vs what's available. It's a comet belt.

KartFab

Reaction score
Probably the same belt used for the TAV2,

measure driven unit (the big circle pulley) diameter, its eithe r6" or 7" (probably 6")

measure distance between center of drive pulley shaft and driven pulley shaft, then reference a "comet toprque converter belt chart" for the 30 series

lurch9

Reaction score
Thanks for the info. Got the belt ordered. Predator is mounted. Also changing up the cart a little. I'm putting the 18x9.5 turf tires out back and running some 4.80x8 stud tires up front. Hopefully the turfs in the back will allow the rear to break loose a little more often. And the stud tires in the front will help with cornering.

We have a motocross track at the house, so im going to set up a course that follows the track but weaves around the jumps. Should be a good time.The plan is to have a lap times board, like on Top Gear. (The real Top Gear, not the abomination that Rutledge Wood co-hosts). There is only one Top Gear and it's filmed in the U.K., or it was.... Anyway, anyone that stops by gets to set their fast lap.

Parts are in the mail. New belt, chain, brake pads, tires, wheels

JollyKarter

Reaction score
I had a Tecumseh on my yerf when I got it, and went threw the same issues as you. But I had a 6.5 Briggs laying in the shop, so that really made it easy. Still have the Tec...it may find a home yet.

Rob

chancer

ɔ ɥ ɐ u ɔ ǝ ɹ
Reaction score
I had a Tecumseh on my yerf when I got it, and went threw the same issues as you. But I had a 6.5 Briggs laying in the shop, so that really made it easy. Still have the Tec...it may find a home yet.

Rob

Boat Anchor? ehh!:roflol:

Status
Not open for further replies.