Sidewinder build

Status
Not open for further replies.

rallikas

New member
Messages
35
Reaction score
0
Location
estonia
Hi again.
Ok, so i´ve always wanted to build a sidewinder.
Budget must stay under 400 dollars!:D
I got myself a donor bike for 55$. Iz planeta 5, 350cc, 2 stroke. Best i could afford at the moment, maybe going to find something better in future.
Getting some material today too.
This is the bike. As you may know, chain is on the right side of engine on russian bikes, so the engine is going on the left side. Its quite wide too, have to figure something out.

 

rallikas

New member
Messages
35
Reaction score
0
Location
estonia
Got the tube !
20x20x2 14m
30x30x2 2m
40x40x2 18m
25x50x2 2m

Now i need some round tube, I should have some 1inch water pipe, with 3mm wall, same as suggested on the drawings.
 

redsox985

Active member
Messages
4,092
Reaction score
12
Location
PA
In Soviet Russia, chains are on the right! Actually, to show by lack of years, I just saw a map the other day with Russia labeled as the USSR for the first time. I was rummaging through about 50 years worth of National Graphics in our GATE office and one from the late 80s had a full size world map in it.
 

rallikas

New member
Messages
35
Reaction score
0
Location
estonia
We have a lot of old russian vehicles and stuff lying around, as were right next to russia. (orange on the map, lot of ppl have never heard of estonia or think its a part of russia, but its NOT.) Its hard to find "western" engines cheaply around here, you might know that russian engines are not wery well built+ are unreliable.

I think that im going to build swingarms first, as i dont have a big enough workshop in the city.
 

rallikas

New member
Messages
35
Reaction score
0
Location
estonia
Took off the engine and sorted out the wiring. Also got a nice sprocket. Need to make a new hub for it.Need to get the engine cleaned up with pressure washer.

 

redsox985

Active member
Messages
4,092
Reaction score
12
Location
PA
I know where that is! We broke the world into parts and had to learn all countries and capitals. Did you grow up as part of the USSR?
 

rallikas

New member
Messages
35
Reaction score
0
Location
estonia
Actually the occupation ended in 1992.(the russian army left from Estonia) I was born in 1994.
But were in highly developed nations list now, so its all good ! :D
 

rallikas

New member
Messages
35
Reaction score
0
Location
estonia
Ordered two 30mm bearing blocks for the rear axle today, going to recieve them on tuesday.
Something like these.
 

redsox985

Active member
Messages
4,092
Reaction score
12
Location
PA
Actually the occupation ended in 1992.(the russian army left from Estonia) I was born in 1994.
But were in highly developed nations list now, so its all good ! :D

Oh, I was just wondering if you had been alive before it fell apart.
 

Walter Keller

Member
Messages
235
Reaction score
1
Location
tampa bay area
russian bikes

Hello from Tampa Bay area of Florida USA - you mentioned you have russian bikes laying around - do you have a M72 /ural/dpner with a sidecar ?
 

rallikas

New member
Messages
35
Reaction score
0
Location
estonia
I got the tube delivered to me. The shop gave me the wrong stuff...
25x50 for the rear swingarm should be with a 2mm wall but its only with a ~1mm wall.
Same thing with the 30x30 tube.
At least they´re 2m long pieces, so i can buy new material...
I think that using 25x50x1 and 30x30x1 tube is not the best option?!
:toetap05:
 

modelengineer

Lord of the noise
Messages
1,609
Reaction score
2
Location
Sydney, Australia
1mm wall is too small, I actually made all the bracing on the rear swingarm from 30x30x2 instead of the 20x20x1.6 or whatever the plans call for. It made it much stronger, there have been reports of the swingarm cracking when going over very very rough ground or jumping it (the Sidewinder is not recommended for jumping)
 

rallikas

New member
Messages
35
Reaction score
0
Location
estonia
Hi!
Didnt get it finished, I was hoping to get full 2 weeks of build time, but could do only 6 four-hour days.... But i got something done..
This is how it looks at the moment! Need to cut and bend the muffler a bit more as its sticking out too much.
To do list:
gas tank
sprocket,chain
new rear shock...bigger...
Front axle parts (turning thingys)
wheels
paint
pedals
covers
that should be all...

Oh yeah, need to rebuild the engine too!


 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top