Should I mod the Clone? or not?

Status
Not open for further replies.

oldskool

Reaction score
I have a new project and would like to get some advice. Heres some background info...I have a yerf dog kart that originally had the weak 6.5 techumsi and replaced it with a mild modded briggs 8hp. It worked great but kept blowing oil from breather all over the engine and everywhere else. Then started running funny..loss of power, hard starting etc. Well, decided to check head gasket (thought it was losing compression) well not only was gasket (stock briggs) torn but pieces of it got into the rings and scored and gouged the cylinder really bad:ack2: Not only that but when I bought a new intake valve a while back I never checked its length and it was not completly closing until almost TDC. All I thought was more money to sink into was not a good idea. So, after reading about those on this forum think well of the HF clones I went out and got the 11hp one as I hope will do fine for off roading. Well here lies my dilema, what mods do I need to do in order to get the most performance or do I just leave it alone stock and with this will it be ok for off road use. By the way its a two seater I am 220lbs and my son is 115lbs.

devino246

Official DIYGK Chem Nerd
Reaction score
if your looking for a little more rpm, you can yank out the gov. and put in a billet connecting rod.

KieranM

Doin It!!
Reaction score
yea get a uni airfilter first off and remove that big air box to let the engine breath better. Then either buy or make some for of straight pipe, with a muffler on the end ( your choice)

You can them rejet the carb to allow more fuel in since you have increased the air and exhaust. some change the piston to allow a cleaner and better fuel consumption. An acr rod can then be bough, the bottom end of the engine will be fine, just remove the governor.

Replace the flywheel to an billet one to cut down on the weigh, but bare in mind that the flywheel adds weight for momentum to turn over the engine and this weigh will decrease with a lighter flywheel.

theo

Reaction score
Change to a aftermarket aircleaner, install a header with some sort of a flow through muffler (check ebay), rejet the carb, (I remove the governer) and you can advance the timing a little. Leave the stock fly wheel, that weight helps torque, and for off road this is what you want.

oldskool

Reaction score
Thanks guys, I have a straight pipe from my briggs and the mikuni carb that I will try and see if it will bolt up. Right now my concern is the actual fit..its tight, may have to remove exhaust shield, modify air box or just remove alltogether and move electric start as its hitting the frame. Wondering were I am going to put the battery?

redsox985

Reaction score
find a cheap vtwin and get billet rods it'll kick a clones as$

Cheap v twin?? I've seen one Briggs v twin in my life cheap, like $125 cheap, ok that's not much time, but still. Any twin cylinder of the same type (the average horizontal shaft not modded, not a big 1 cly. bike) will beat a single cylinder clone.

bajagokart

Reaction score
Change to a aftermarket aircleaner, install a header with some sort of a flow through muffler (check ebay), rejet the carb, (I remove the governer) and you can advance the timing a little. Leave the stock fly wheel, that weight helps torque, and for off road this is what you want.

EXACTLY what I did! #98 jet worked for my 13 hp clone so idk what will for a 11 hp clone but my cart will do an easy 80 km/h now!

DirtTrackRacer_07

DeeR SlayeR
Reaction score
billet connecting rods give you more dependability when your turning all that more rpm.

That way you wont throw a rod through the block.

The v-twin briggs motors are hard to find around here and they are high priced but the power returns with some mods are killer.

I would go for the briggs any day over the clones if i could but.....

jr dragster T

Reaction score
I know the advantage of a billet rod, But you cant simply just scream a stock motor except for billet rods and expect HP gains.

modelengineer

Lord of the noise
Reaction score
any one thinking what im thinking (motorcycle engine!)

Yep lol, pretty much exactly what I was thinking of when I said it's not worth modding a clone. IMO it's not worth buying a clone with the price of bike engines, but to each his own.

97mitzugst

Reaction score
I think it's a matter of what you like. For instance I'm in to tuning like cars and like to push things to the limits, so I got a clone and am going to mod it to get at least 15 hp out of it. I found a write-up about if you want to see go to google and type in project triple double. I also plan on helping my cousin on his go kart to put a crotch rocket motor on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.