Scrap yard save Lets make a roller...

Status
Not open for further replies.

B.M.800

TheBeal.
Reaction score
Spied this think at the scrap yard. Cost me $15.

I was tempted to leave it, and stash it away.. but maybe Ill atleast make a roller out of it?

Attachments

• IMG_4017.JPG
    IMG_4017.JPG
    201.6 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_4019.JPG
    IMG_4019.JPG
    212.2 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_4018.JPG
    IMG_4018.JPG
    144.7 KB · Views: 17

B.M.800

TheBeal.
Reaction score
Yeah... I do have a problem with starting, and not finishing projects... :rolleyes:

The rear axle was bent. It looked like 3/8... kinda wimpy? thought Id whip up an axle from a chunk of 3/8 round only to find out there is about .010 different in the axle bolts... and more slop yet in the wheel spacer thingy. Not cool.

Again... 3/8in... kind wimpy for an axle init? Thinking since what i made wont work to my liking might aswell bump it up to atleast 1/2in.

Ill need to open up the axle slots in the frame.

Need new bearings.

Attachments

• IMG_4037.jpg
    IMG_4037.jpg
    256.2 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_4036.jpg
    IMG_4036.jpg
    576.2 KB · Views: 3

B.M.800

TheBeal.
Reaction score
Bottom of a cliff? Actually, top of a mountain... or as we call them in PA, a hill. Punks! :D

Found 6 coats of paint. We got red, green, yellow, another red, white, or grey, then the original, black.

Texan

Senor Member
Reaction score
Cool frame. I think it will look pretty good once its shined up. I'm working on a little old beater similar to yours. Mine had the rainbow layered paint on it too lol, removing paint is probably the worst part of refurbishments. It's always satisfying though when you get first coat of finish paint on.

B.M.800

TheBeal.
Reaction score
Shined up? Yeaaahhh... about that...

Its always possible... For the time being, its just gona be a beater bike, doesnt has to look pretty or nothing.

Ill have to make a new engine mount, but a 8hp Honda fits inside the frame if I raise it up 1in. Rear tire will just clear the valve cover.

B.M.800

TheBeal.
Reaction score
So, goofing off I stuck a few engines in the frame to see what I had that fit nicely... Not that Im in any ways ready to bolt on an engine, but I had to move these engine around anyways soo... :D

Attachments

• IMG_4083.jpg
    IMG_4083.jpg
    581.5 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_4081.jpg
    IMG_4081.jpg
    706.1 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_4078.jpg
    IMG_4078.jpg
    752 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_4074.jpg
    IMG_4074.jpg
    728.8 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_4080.jpg
    IMG_4080.jpg
    662.2 KB · Views: 20

Hellion

Disc brakes are for cowards
Reaction score
It already is a roller. That's a chassis with a complete set of wheels.

I like that old classic Briggs in baby blue. This thing probably had a Tecumseh originally though, aye?

B.M.800

TheBeal.
Reaction score
Well... I suppose technically it is a roller.. I just stuck that 3/8 axle I made in there to hold the rear wheel in place. With new bearings, and the 1/2in axles ill be more than happy to call it a roller. :D

That briggs just fit in there, but only because it has no spark plug in it. I have a much nicer 6hp I would have put in there if it fit. I dont want to mess with the frame. Otherwise id finangle a 30hp sled engine in there... :roflol:

I think a Tec would be reasonable... maybe a 4hp. I posted some picture over at OMB to see if anyone could ID it. The fellow who replied said he didnt recall seeing a frame like this, with these wheels.

B.M.800

TheBeal.
Reaction score
So I had 2 non working clutches, disassembled and reassembled into 1. It might work... slathered the shaft with anti-sieze and slid it on the black 5hp briggs.

But anywho, these dodad thingys used to adjust chain tension... got a 3/8 hole for the axle bolt. I want 1/2in. So drill em out. I dont like how thin the back of these are drilled out. Gona weld some washers in place to make up for it.

Yes, that is bleed on the drill press table. That is why things should always be clamped down while drilling. :roflol:

Attachments

• IMG_4131.jpg
    IMG_4131.jpg
    408 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_4128.jpg
    IMG_4128.jpg
    395 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_4126.jpg
    IMG_4126.jpg
    329 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_4125.jpg
    IMG_4125.jpg
    345.2 KB · Views: 6

TX7

Reaction score
That 5hp Briggs looks like a good fit, go with that. Looks like your forks are a little bent...but not much. That bike is crusty, but deserves some love.

---------- Post added at 09:03 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:50 PM ----------

B.M., did you visit Windber this past weekend? You're not that far away.

B.M.800

TheBeal.
Reaction score
It is pretty crusty lookin. You can see one of the handle bars is pitted pretty badly. Im not sure if that will be a problem putting on a throttle?

I didnt go to windber. Im hoping to though sometime. I need a part for my Fox Thunderbolt... is there alot of parts there or is it mostly complete bikes?

Got those washers booger welded on. :ack2:
The hole in the washer is a bit bigger than 1/2, but thats ok itlle work.

Attachments

• IMG_4133.jpg
    IMG_4133.jpg
    477.2 KB · Views: 3

TX7

Reaction score
Many guys bring parts to sell at Windber, if a guy doesn't have the part, he usually knows someone who does.

B.M.800

TheBeal.
Reaction score
Cool. The Thunderbolt is missing part of the muffler... if I could find that that would be great... or an appropriate aftermarket unit that would work too.

But anywho, got the axle holder thingymabobs to fit. And some quality time with a file I can fit a 1/2 hunk of round stock through the slots.

So I have these two clutches. They are both quite stuck to the jack shaft. I have tried heat, and penetration oil, and hammers...

Any suggestions?

Im thinking about chucking em up in the lathe and drill out the center of the jack shaft.

Attachments

• IMG_4147.jpg
    IMG_4147.jpg
    291 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_4148.jpg
    IMG_4148.jpg
    504.7 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_4144.jpg
    IMG_4144.jpg
    326.2 KB · Views: 4

B.M.800

TheBeal.
Reaction score
I dont know for certain, but I have this band brake I think might have been from a mobility scooter? Cheaper than the $50+ Id spend for a new brake setup... :ack2:

Ill need to make an adapter to mount it to the rear wheel however.

Attachments

• IMG_4200.jpg
    IMG_4200.jpg
    291 KB · Views: 4

B.M.800

TheBeal.
Reaction score
Bearings!

Now, Ill need to lathe out the... uhh, axle support tube? Wheel bearing spacer?

Id use the old one, but I dingled it up removing it. :roflol:

Attachments

• IMG_4293.jpg
    IMG_4293.jpg
    408.1 KB · Views: 4
Status
Not open for further replies.