Safe spindles for 60mph+

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smcgillis10

Reaction score
Ok I'm building a go fast kart and not sure what to do about he spindles. Should I make my own? Or buy some. And what kind/type would be best for higher speeds?

itsid

Staff member
Reaction score
proper race kart spindles are very well capable of handling 60++ mph

on road.. race track that is... one serious bump and they still might need to be replaced afterwards though.

'sid

OzFab

Reaction score
I know my capabilities & have the tools, knowledge & experience to back it up but, there's no way in HE!! I'd build my own spindles to put on a kart capable of 60mph, you are LITERALLY putting your life in your hands... buy a good set of racing spindles...

fowler

Reaction score
If u have the tools and know how its not hard

Iv done it for an off road buggy without troubles

Just make em tuff

Is this for the roketa cart in your other thread

In that case yheyre ifs spindles and must be much stronger tgan solid axle types

Take a pic of whats already there
Most of the time a few bits of well placed flat bar bracing
And some decent heim joints and your set

itsid

Staff member
Reaction score
:lolgoku:

yes please.. crappy welds and lots of washers.. that's always the best possible solution ;)

.. if you're shooting for a Darwin Award that is

'sid

Smcgillis10

Reaction score
If you guys are just going to be *******s about it don't answer. I'm wanting legitimate answers not wives tales.

@fowler going to be going on basically a shifter kart with a 200cc dirt bike engine and a lawn mower hood.

itsid

Staff member
Reaction score
looks to be some sort of ATV shirt (it's even almost orange) .. nice for I'd say ~15hp @ 200kg and maybe 45-50 mph...
above that..... I'd rather not use a cheaply cast spindle.

do yourself a favour and NOT use washeres.. get a perfect fit spacer.

the spindle in post #8 looks good to me though (make and model would help to verify.. but ah well)
Buy, don't DIY!

A front wheel failing on you @60mph means we wouldn't even get a chance to say
"told you so..." ;)

'sid

Smcgillis10

Reaction score
^^. That's what I'm starting to lean toward. Just haven't found one with any girth. But it's not going on a huge kart. It's going on a race style lawn mower kart. Only 46" long and 40" wide. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1415645695.018997.jpg
That's Fearlessfront's race lawn mower. The only think that is still part of is it going to be he body. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1415645739.421173.jpg

firemanjim

Just kartin' around....
Reaction score
I'm going to build something like post pic#8..... Except bigger. 2" od spindle barrels with 1" spindles, sunk 1/2" into the barrel before welding (by a professional ). Spindle will be 100* from barrel. The barrel will be machined to accept 3/4" ID tapered roller bearings, top and bottom. They will mount to a 3/8" thick plate via 3/4" heims, set at 7* off center.... Mine won't break..... Maybe if I hit something BIG, and I'll be screwed anyway....... :lolgoku:

OzFab

Reaction score
If you guys are just going to be *******s about it don't answer. I'm wanting legitimate answers not wives tales.

Ok, here's a FACT for you; if the weld holding the stub axle to the main barrel breaks @ 60mph , it's REALLY gonna hurt, you may even die; do you REALLY want to take that risk?

How much welding/fabricating/mechanical experience do you have? How much professional training have you done?

Smcgillis10

Reaction score
Well for me. I'm a certified automotive and diesel mechanic/technician and have a few years oilfield experience with fabricating and welding. Also I have 2-3 certified welders and fabricators that I work with that would do the welding on the spindles.

OzFab

Reaction score
Honestly, that makes me a bit more comfortable...

Please understand, we take safety very seriously & we have a LOT of young kids here (14-19yo) with way out ideas that they can't possibly pull off, some are just plain dangerous.

Without knowing who you are, where you're from or what experience/training you have (HINT: please fill in your profile ;)), we have to assume the worst...

OzFab

Reaction score
I got lucky, I bought the spindles on my kart cheap, used; they came with camber/caster adjuster bushes (basically, offset washers) that I chose not to use; IIRC, I paid about $40 for them

FYI: Not to brag but, that's last years build-off winner...

Status
Not open for further replies.