Status
Not open for further replies.

itsid

Staff member
Reaction score

Poboy kartman

Senior Moments Member
Reaction score
They are standard 5/8" bearings. I think the OD is 1 3/8". I don't see what all this confusion is about.

Nobody is really confused.....I simply answered a question......but if you're wondering why it was asked and answered the way it was.....try to find one that looks even remotely similar on a different kart or mini-bike......:thumbsup:

denhammotors

Reaction score

Poboy kartman

Senior Moments Member
Reaction score
This is what it's from. I took it from a old jackshaft assembly from the Baja I used to have.

http://www.ombwarehouse.com/MB200-231-Baja-OEM-Jackshaft-Assembly.html

Well....I guess that qualifies for remotely similar....but what I'm seeing in the pictures appears to be barrel shaped and not a straight tube like in the link.....also the plate appears to be homemade...as well as several other differences....

So...I have two questions: Is the bearing carrier barrel shaped?
And....did you modify it after you took it off the Baja????

I'm not trying to argue with you...but I am curious....do you know how old the Baja was???? Also....we're pretty good about shooting down incorrectly information amongst Senior members....so it's surprising that no one has corrected me......I'm certainly not the most knowledgeable member here....so just because I haven't seen one before doesn't mean they're not out there....

denhammotors

Reaction score
Well....I guess that qualifies for remotely similar....but what I'm seeing in the pictures appears to be barrel shaped and not a straight tube like in the link.....also the plate appears to be homemade...as well as several other differences....

So...I have two questions: Is the bearing carrier barrel shaped?
And....did you modify it after you took it off the Baja????

I'm not trying to argue with you...but I am curious....do you know how old the Baja was???? Also....we're pretty good about shooting down incorrectly information amongst Senior members....so it's surprising that no one has corrected me......I'm certainly not the most knowledgeable member here....so just because I haven't seen one before doesn't mean they're not out there....

The only part of the jackshaft I used from the Baja was the barrel shaped bearing carrier. The plate it's welded to is homemade. The Baja was probably from around 2007. I don't know since I wasn't the original owner.

denhammotors

Reaction score
Added a seat. I didn't bother making it look as good as it could be. I just wanted something comfortable to sit on.

Something weird I noticed about the carburetor was that the high/low speed screws can't be adjusted. The engine seems to lean out at high revs. I figured adjusting these might do the trick. When I bought the engine, there were no springs under the adjustment screws. I added some to the high/low so that they could be backed off a little. Runs quite a bit better than before, though performance still isn't ideal. Might have to fiddle around with the adjustment some more.

Really don't like diaphragm carbs :mad:. I wish I could get a Bing slide carb, but they are both difficult to find and expensive.

Attachments

• IMG_0256.jpg
    IMG_0256.jpg
    115.5 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_0258.jpg
    IMG_0258.jpg
    105.1 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_0259.jpg
    IMG_0259.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 27

Desertduler

Reaction score
Added a seat. I didn't bother making it look as good as it could be. I just wanted something comfortable to sit on.

Something weird I noticed about the carburetor was that the high/low speed screws can't be adjusted. The engine seems to lean out at high revs. I figured adjusting these might do the trick. When I bought the engine, there were no springs under the adjustment screws. I added some to the high/low so that they could be backed off a little. Runs quite a bit better than before, though performance still isn't ideal. Might have to fiddle around with the adjustment some more.

Really don't like diaphragm carbs :mad:. I wish I could get a Bing slide carb, but they are both difficult to find and expensive.
Those are not adjustment screws they are plugs that lead to the high and low speed jets and in order to change the fuel mixture the jets need to be changed.

denhammotors

Reaction score
Those are not adjustment screws they are plugs that lead to the high and low speed jets and in order to change the fuel mixture the jets need to be changed.

Wow, thanks.
:eek:

Now I feel like a total idiot and am further away from having a perfectly running engine.

Desertduler

Reaction score
Wow, thanks.
:eek:

Now I feel like a total idiot and am further away from having a perfectly running engine.

No you are not an idiot by any means, You could find a tillotston carb with the same or slightly larger venturi that has high and low external adjustment screws as long as the impulse signal port will line up in the manifold or if your carb has a remote impulse line just connect to it.

denhammotors

Reaction score
The problem seems to have fixed itself.
I took off the springs and put the screws in just how they were before. No lack of performance now. Just another one of those mysterious carb issues that have no scientific explanation and fix themselves by magic.

Desertduler

Reaction score
The problem seems to have fixed itself.
I took off the springs and put the screws in just how they were before. No lack of performance now. Just another one of those mysterious carb issues that have no scientific explanation and fix themselves by magic.

Those fiber O-ring gaskets under the plugs keep air from being drawn in the high and low jets and if the plugs are not seated against them the carb will be too lean and you could burn your engine down.

denhammotors

Reaction score
Those fiber O-ring gaskets under the plugs keep air from being drawn in the high and low jets and if the plugs are not seated against them the carb will be too lean and you could burn your engine down.

Yep, I put the fiber washers back on there. The technique for getting the best performance out of this engine is to keep the throttle in the power band. Any more throttle and it will bog down. Probably because it was used on constant RPM equipment like rammers and tillers, not meant for vehicles. It seems to have great low-end torque for a two stroke, though.

Desertduler

Reaction score
Yep, I put the fiber washers back on there. The technique for getting the best performance out of this engine is to keep the throttle in the power band. Any more throttle and it will bog down. Probably because it was used on constant RPM equipment like rammers and tillers, not meant for vehicles. It seems to have great low-end torque for a two stroke, though.
I have worked on many of them that have been on tampers and jumping jacks.

Status
Not open for further replies.