Rust Bucket!

Status
Not open for further replies.

courts94s

Noob
Reaction score
My next project. It's pretty dang rusted, but it's free. It's a two seater Brister's Thunder Kart (still trying to find the exact model). I just got a welder, and started my first attempt at welding. I'll post pictures as it progresses.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

chancer

ɔ ɥ ɐ u ɔ ǝ ɹ
Reaction score
I am sure you know but Rust wont weld. LOL get a wire wheel.

Looks like a good Project though.

courts94s

Noob
Reaction score
I cut off the front of the rust bucket.

I'm getting better at this welding thing!

I got the engine plate spot welded in place.

The rust bucket (in the background) has seen better days!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

chancer

ɔ ɥ ɐ u ɔ ǝ ɹ
Reaction score
Pretty good looking weld.:thumbsup:
What welder did you get?
Also you need another bar supporting the other end of that engine plate. But you knew that already.

courts94s

Noob
Reaction score
Pretty good looking weld.:thumbsup:

What welder did you get?

Also you need another bar supporting the other end of that engine plate. But you knew that already.

It's the 90amp Harbor Freight special! It will have another bar on the right side of the plate. I may even add a piece on the front of the plate. The plan it to hide the engine under the "bed". I still haven't fully planned out the bed yet.... I'm just kind of planning as I build. I want to do an old hot rod look, with a wood floor in the bed.

chancer

ɔ ɥ ɐ u ɔ ǝ ɹ
Reaction score
That is Gonna Be really Cool! I love this idea.
I am kicking around some ideas for something like that as well.
Or maybe something with a Radio Flyer wagon.

Lots of Guys here use and like that Welder.
The only tip I hear is get Lincoln Wire at Home Depot.
I guess it works better and cleaner than the HF Chicago Electric brand.

courts94s

Noob
Reaction score

I really want to do a front engine, but I don't want a long chain.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

chancer

ɔ ɥ ɐ u ɔ ǝ ɹ
Reaction score
I really want to do a front engine, but I don't want a long chain.
Well then...Like I said I have some Ideas kicking around,OK I will Share, this handles up to 75HP
http://www.agrisupply.com/hole-gearbox/p/76314/
Using this^ You can set an engine 90° from normal on the front end.

Here is it in action, Sort of. I think these guys are Clowns but... I like the drive line they end up with as Opposed to 10 feet of Chain.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SuswVtPrFvw

courts94s

Noob
Reaction score
Well then...Like I said I have some Ideas kicking around,OK I will Share, this handles up to 75HP
http://www.agrisupply.com/hole-gearbox/p/76314/
Using this^ You can set an engine 90° from normal on the front end.

Here is it in action, Sort of. I think these guys are Clowns but... I like the drive line they end up with as Opposed to 10 feet of Chain.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SuswVtPrFvw

Yeah, I've watched that video a few times. Their chain system was ugly, and the little 90 degree gearbox things can run $200+ for a basic one. I'll think of something.

---------- Post added at 06:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:51 PM ----------

It's a shame you're not local to me courts, I have some sheetmetal tools that could be used to make a killer little bed for that thing.

I don't think it will be too hard. A simple rectangle, with tubing at the top and some wood accents. Nothing too fancy. The trick will be making a functional tail gate, that doesn't rattle real bad.

courts94s

Noob
Reaction score
I was having a very difficult time welding today. I'm very new at it! This is my first welding project. Anyways, crappy welds, splatter everywhere, no penetration... I discovered that if I set the 90amp Harbor Freight welder to the recommended settings, it doesn't weld well. I turned it back to high, and turned the wire speed back up, and I was able to get good welds again. Anyways, I pretty much finished the majority of the chassis.

---------- Post added at 12:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:31 PM ----------

chancer

ɔ ɥ ɐ u ɔ ǝ ɹ
Reaction score
Dang that is long! Looks good though.
My Lincoln 125amp HD just a small step up from your 90 amp also works best on high, I do not see too much difference between 1.5, 2 and 2.5 onthe wire speed.
Welding is fun for a Hobby just takes practice.
Guys that weld 8 to 10 hours a day for a living hate it! LOL

courts94s

Noob
Reaction score
Dang that is long! Looks good though.
My Lincoln 125amp HD just a small step up from your 90 amp also works best on high, I do not see too much difference between 1.5, 2 and 2.5 onthe wire speed.
Welding is fun for a Hobby just takes practice.
Guys that weld 8 to 10 hours a day for a living hate it! LOL

I'm 6 feet, and I'm tired of trying to squeeze into the little Go Karts. It may be slightly too long. The front will be easy to shorten, if I need to, before I add the floor pan. Once the bed and the rest of the rear is done, I'll have a better idea of how much (if at all) I'll shorten it. The whole thing is just kind of designed as I build it.
I measured the engine plate placement so that the chain will fit right between the frame and the side rail. The bed will be built to hide the engine underneath it. I was going to do a hinge, to lift the bed for engine access, but that just seems excessive.

The bed will be about 15 inches tall. 11 inches will all be covering the engine, then about 4 or 5 inches deep, of functional truck bed. I'm thinking I'll add some decorative wood rails to the bed. I'll have to remove the tank, air filter, and exhaust to make it fit under there. I'm hunting for a little tank to mount in the bed of the truck, but those things are expensive. I like the look of this truck bed.

---------- Post added at 07:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:53 PM ----------

Hey now....I don't

Also is this thing going to be single rear wheel drive? If I missed that sorry...

No. I'm going to do a live axel. Once I get the exact placement of it (somewhere towards the rear engine mount holes) I'll probably beef up the outer rail/frame section. The back will be a truck bed, so it will hide any additional support pieces I have to add back there. The main chassis is strong enough to add the hangers to it, but it's a little narrow there.

chancer

ɔ ɥ ɐ u ɔ ǝ ɹ
Reaction score
Keep practicing with that welder. You can make a tank. I did. They are expensive $$$ and even an old simple metal one of an old briggs are hard to find.

I used a Piece of 3" tube and welded caps on the end. welded in a 1 1/4" pipe thread nipple for a filler fits a PVC or Steel threaded cap. Also a simple brass barbed fitting can be threaded into a tank for the gas outlet. Cool Stuff give it a try.

My tank is small but can be made any size, It is also Thicker than needed but is easier to weld that way as opposed to sheet metal.

Attachments

• IMG_3061.JPG
    IMG_3061.JPG
    105.8 KB · Views: 9

Mr. Spindle

Reaction score

Already did that!!! You read my JavaScript mang! :roflol:

Status
Not open for further replies.