Rupp D301

Thomas22

Reaction score
So in my process of finding some information on my new Kart, and having done restorations on old dirt bikes I realize how important these forums are. I thought I would join, share some pictures as they may help other restorations. I got this from the original owner. He had when he was a kid. Seems to be fairly original obviously not the floor mat and it’s missing the air filter and muffler.

Tricky Ricky

Reaction score
Great score. I’d replace the air cleaner, still lots around and the muffler with a dog bone. A good clean and polish and count yourself lucky to have an excellent survivor. Congrats.

Thomas22

Reaction score
Thanks! This is very exciting. I love old stuff like this. I know the motor is toast. No compression at all but but it is original. Just wondering if is worth repairing or finding a period correct one. Or, just put a Honda gx120 on there and call it a day.

Tricky Ricky

Reaction score
Thanks! This is very exciting. I love old stuff like this. I know the motor is toast. No compression at all but but it is original. Just wondering if is worth repairing or finding a period correct one. Or, just put a Honda gx120 on there and call it a day.
If you want to drive it. ( which I wouldn’t because there are so many cheap driver Karts out there) sure put a Honda on It and have fun. Just remember this. The wheels in decent condition with the outer halves are approaching 1000 a set. If they have decent Carlisle Indian head tires on them they fetch even more. That seat is worth a couple hundred. If you can’t afford to fix the engine or parts aren’t available then put a Honda on it and go. Me I would try real hard to get the motor fixed give the kart a spit and polish and hang it on the wall or sell it as a collector “To Me”

madprofessor

"Loose Cannon Creations"
Reaction score
Even though I have some big ole feet that'll splay out to the sides like a cow-toed duck, I could never be comfortable driving that kart with those particular pedals mounted on the outside of the rails like that. Running over one good bump at speed with that rigid frame would have one of my 12D feet falling off the side of the kart and getting wadded up like stepped-on corn flakes.
At the very least I'd want to notch/bend them in at a 45-degree angle just to keep my feet pointing naturally upward, not having to lay over to the sides out over the edges of the kart.

Denny

Canned Monster
Reaction score
Even though I have some big ole feet that'll splay out to the sides like a cow-toed duck, I could never be comfortable driving that kart with those particular pedals mounted on the outside of the rails like that. Running over one good bump at speed with that rigid frame would have one of my 12D feet falling off the side of the kart and getting wadded up like stepped-on corn flakes.
At the very least I'd want to notch/bend them in at a 45-degree angle just to keep my feet pointing naturally upward, not having to lay over to the sides out over the edges of the kart.
Mad, that is a valuable kart. You would have to be out of your cotton picking mind to do anything other than repair the engine. The condition the kart is in now it is worth about $2,000-$2,500 dollars American! That kart would make a Great Wall hanger!

Tricky Ricky

Reaction score
Don’t do it. Fix it and sell it or hang it on the wall. You can buy an adult sized kart cheap. Please don’t molest that thing.

Thomas22

Reaction score
Wow! After learning a lot more about these machines I see what you mean. Definitely going to put the work into cleaning it up and repairing that old engine. Looks like parts are available for the tecumseh HS40. Aside from the engine, the only thing I need is tires. They all hold air, but the rears are warn. For this kart, is it better to keep the original tires or try to find some slicks?
I had no idea it was worth this much in its current condition. I almost feel guilty keeping it, it probably would be better off sold to a collector.

Denny

Canned Monster
Reaction score
If your going to keep it as a wall hanger just keep the original tires on it. The wear is honest and they are the original tires. Just clean and shine them up. I don’t think you know how lucky you are. Go out and buy the winning lottery ticket now that you have that lucky horse shoe stuck up your but!!! I hope it ain’t too hard to sit down!! :bannana:

Tricky Ricky

Reaction score
That Kart came from the factory with a 2 1/2 hp Tecumseh. Those motors are hard to find but worth looking for. If that’s an hs 40 on there I wouldn’t spend any money fixing it as there are lots of those around. If you live in the Northern states there are a ton of old snowblowers with little hours on them and they’re cheap. Better yet. The hs40 and hs50 are the same physical size and the hs50 obviously will give you a bit more power. And make sure you keep that gas tank and bracket, I’ve been looking for one for two years. BTW that steering wheel with nice chrome 500 bucks any day of the week.

Thomas22

Reaction score
Every project I’ve worked on I go above and beyond to make it as close to original as possible. It’s more expensive to do, but worth it. I assure you I will not mess this up. If I decide not to do this I’ll list it for sale as is.

Tricky Ricky

Reaction score
You won’t find a replacement for the rear. I haven’t seen any of those in years. Sell it or hang it. It will be a big job to restore it to original. Markets pretty hot right now. I’d put it on eBay. I’ve had one for three years and am still looking for pieces.

Thomas22

Reaction score
I’m actually in Canada as well. Just outside Toronto. I don’t know any other way to restore something other than factory original. I’m starting to think this is not going to be as easy as I thought. Since I don’t have a sentimental attachment to this ( as I usually do with most of my projects) I don’t have a problem putting this on eBay. I’m sure the right person will end up with it. Only problem is shipping.