Roy’s Kart

dangerz

Reaction score
Been changing oil regularly and the last few have been nice and clean. Got a fuel cap finally so I can have some fun in wet weather. Also got my tire fixed so it holds air.

I think I still have a fuel issue though. It seems to shut down after a little bit unless I give it some gas. Is there a better fuel pump you guys would recommend? I can grab an electric one off of Amazon if that makes more sense.

dangerz

Reaction score
Ordered new head gaskets today. Can’t seem to get this engine locked in. Sometimes it’s good, sometimes it’s not. Kid and I had a lot of fun with it today but it kept stalling out. My guess is the water in the engine might’ve been absorbed in the stock head gaskets. Worth a shot.

dangerz

Reaction score
Why do you think you need rings?
The oil in the exhaust is making me think that. More importantly, a few folks a lot smarter than me told me.

I found a kit for a Honda GX650 that I purchased. I’ll tear it down sometime in the next few weeks and change the head gaskets and rings.

Denny

Canned Monster
Reaction score
Oil in exhaust is not a good thing. Also go to NAPA and get a dingle ball hone and hone the cylinders. Might have slight rust pitting. How much oil is it using?

Last edited:

dangerz

Reaction score
Oil in exhaust is not a good thing. Also go to NAPA and get a dingle ball hone and hone the cylinders. Might have slight rust pitting. How much oil is it using?
When just riding around, it barely burns any.. it’s when I take a hard right turn that it dumps oil into the exhaust.

robbenfred50

Reaction score
G
Always wanted to build one of these. I finally got the space to do it and started looking. Found this kart for $500 on Marketplace.

View attachment 134322
View attachment 134323

I thought that silver thing in the back was exhaust, but its actually the gas can. Owner said that he built the kart with his boys and one of them left the cap off. Water got into the fuel and it hasn’t started since. They had outgrown it anyway, so he wanted to let it go.

He even offered to haul it to my house for me, which was awesome of him.

I got it home and drained all the fuel/water out of the tank and lines. I also put a fuel shut-off valve and filter on. Oil looked really good, so I went to start it and got nothing but a large clang. After some tearing down and investigating, I found that the flywheel had been totally rusted to the coil. The engine wouldn’t spin. I was able to break it free and now the starter would spin, but it wouldn’t turn over. Decided to pull the carb and found it terribly dirty and rusted. After trying to clean it, I felt like it was too far gone so I have a new carb on the way. That’s where I currently am.

Once it’s running, I’ll need to fix the brakes. It needs some work, but for $500, it’s well worth it. It’s my first build so I’m sure I’ll make a ton of mistakes.
Good deal