Roy’s Kart

dangerz

Reaction score
Always wanted to build one of these. I finally got the space to do it and started looking. Found this kart for $500 on Marketplace.

BAE93051-09CB-4C09-B697-48C02893E6C0.jpeg
D112CD5E-A4FD-462B-B79A-7172A98E38F7.jpeg

I thought that silver thing in the back was exhaust, but its actually the gas can. Owner said that he built the kart with his boys and one of them left the cap off. Water got into the fuel and it hasn’t started since. They had outgrown it anyway, so he wanted to let it go.

He even offered to haul it to my house for me, which was awesome of him.

I got it home and drained all the fuel/water out of the tank and lines. I also put a fuel shut-off valve and filter on. Oil looked really good, so I went to start it and got nothing but a large clang. After some tearing down and investigating, I found that the flywheel had been totally rusted to the coil. The engine wouldn’t spin. I was able to break it free and now the starter would spin, but it wouldn’t turn over. Decided to pull the carb and found it terribly dirty and rusted. After trying to clean it, I felt like it was too far gone so I have a new carb on the way. That’s where I currently am.

Once it’s running, I’ll need to fix the brakes. It needs some work, but for $500, it’s well worth it. It’s my first build so I’m sure I’ll make a ton of mistakes.

FlyFrog

Reaction score
looks like you got yourself a nice little project there, i wish i could come across something beat up like that for cheap around me, id love a good project

Denny

Canned Monster
Reaction score
That chain really needs some motor oil on it. That really is a great looking kart. You did sand the flywheel really good and clean along with the coils right? It has a nice and bright blue spark at the plugs also? Did you try using some starting fluid to get it started?

dangerz

Reaction score
looks like you got yourself a nice little project there, i wish i could come across something beat up like that for cheap around me, id love a good project
I’ve been fixing up old John Deer garden tractors and was always jealous of the folks who have deals in their areas. There’s not much in Southern Maryland, so I was really excited to find this.

dangerz

Reaction score
That chain really needs some motor oil on it. That really is a great looking kart. You did sand the flywheel really good and clean along with the coils right? It has a nice and bright blue spark at the plugs also? Did you try using some starting fluid to get it started?
Thanks, I’ll put some on there. Spark plugs have good spark. I ended up ordering a new carb. I’m pretty sure it was a fuel issue.

dangerz

Reaction score
I was supposed to fly out for work today, but AA decided to delay my flight enough that I ended up canceling the trip. This means I had extra time to work on the kart.

I decided to tackle the brakes. Previous owner had broken a caliper somehow.

FEFA2E2E-4A02-42C1-B96B-A5B61EA6627B.jpeg Fortunately he put a new one on, but never hooked it up. The brake fluid is already shot, so I drained the system of brake fluid. Here’s how bad it looked.

C0DF778F-60A7-4AEB-A65C-B18470B816DD.jpeg
The bolts holding the brake lines on were rusted badly, so it took a ton of work to run the new brake line. Once I did it, I started to flush the system with new fluid when I realized I had 0 pressure. Brake pedal wasn’t doing anything. After not having any luck bleeding, I decided to pull the master cylinder to inspect it. I got it off the kart and immediately realized that it was shot. The part that connects the brake pedal to the master cylinder had completely rusted away. $20 later and a new master cylinder is on the way from Amazon.

83BF40B4-0EEA-4540-8419-C65A4AAAE779.jpegSo at least I got the brake lines ran. There’s a parking brake handle on the cart, but it’s not hooked up to anything. I’ll probably investigate that next. Previous owner had also removed the choke handle, so I’ll add that again as well.

I have to leave on Saturday for a week, so won’t make much progress for another couple of weeks unfortunately. Luckily I’ll have a bunch of new parts when I get back.

Also, side note, passenger side tire isn’t holding air. Need to fix that too.

panchothedog

Reaction score
You have plenty of tread on all of your tires. Even if they are cracked or punctured, do as Denny says, clean up the rim on the inside also ( no sharp spots ) and put a tube in it. When you go to juice up your new brakes it won't work like on a car to bleed them . The master cylinder does not move enough fluid to do the old pump, hold, and bleed air out. You WILL need a vacuum source to attach to the bleeder screw on the caliper. Harbor Freight tools sells a break bleeder for about $25. The master cylinder on one of my karts that I used it on looks exactly like yours.

FlyFrog

Reaction score
I’ve been fixing up old John Deer garden tractors and was always jealous of the folks who have deals in their areas. There’s not much in Southern Maryland, so I was really excited to find this.
im from the heart of the midwest, illinois indiana border, you would think that there would be a lot of good deals but there isnt

dangerz

Reaction score
688D3B38-0793-4CDA-8F29-FB8DF95930C3.jpeg
4DD515BF-85AF-4CA0-9D63-F094145E612B.jpeg

Old meets new. Got it mounted up and brake fluid flushed. Brakes are functional now.

26C7A2D8-5639-462C-A7C6-92315AE11607.jpeg
Had some motorcycle chain cleaner and lube, so I used that on the chain.

dangerz

Reaction score
You have plenty of tread on all of your tires. Even if they are cracked or punctured, do as Denny says, clean up the rim on the inside also ( no sharp spots ) and put a tube in it. When you go to juice up your new brakes it won't work like on a car to bleed them . The master cylinder does not move enough fluid to do the old pump, hold, and bleed air out. You WILL need a vacuum source to attach to the bleeder screw on the caliper. Harbor Freight tools sells a break bleeder for about $25. The master cylinder on one of my karts that I used it on looks exactly like yours.
Fortunately I was able to do it all without the vacuum.

I’ll work on the rim when I get back. The leak is right on the bead, so I think you guys are right. Never mounted a tire on a bead before so that’ll be fun to learn.

Denny

Canned Monster
Reaction score
I was supposed to fly out for work today, but AA decided to delay my flight enough that I ended up canceling the trip. This means I had extra time to work on the kart.

I did not know Alcoholics Anonymous flew anybody anywhere. Might want to be careful flying with them. Do they have the little locks on the steering column that you have to blow into to get the plane to start?

dangerz

Reaction score
I did not know Alcoholics Anonymous flew anybody anywhere. Might want to be careful flying with them. Do they have the little locks on the steering column that you have to blow into to get the plane to start?
lol based on how much alcohol I’ve seen people drink in flight, AA would be a welcome sight

Denny

Canned Monster
Reaction score
For a kart that big and heavy the best reverse I have found is to get out of the kart and pick up the front end and turn it around. Or you could spend about $4,000.00 on a Jeffco or RPM gear box.

dangerz

Reaction score
For a kart that big and heavy the best reverse I have found is to get out of the kart and pick up the front end and turn it around. Or you could spend about $4,000.00 on a Jeffco or RPM gear box.
Damn that sucks.. really wanted a reverse gear.