Router plane....

Status
Not open for further replies.

mckutzy

Reaction score
Ive been wanting to do some other projects as of late with some wood I stashed away awhile ago...
At my previous job, we used to get alot of these aluminum grating in big bundles. After we break open a bundle they contain 12 pieces of dunage..
Typically they were these rough cut 2x4, 3' long of oak...Fricken amazing wood...
Most of them were straight grained, minimal knots or none.

Ive been wanting to do some easy projects, but I have no planer... Im not really keen on getting a hand plane and chunking away at the board to get it smooth... Mainly Im looking at getting a surface flat and good enough to glue together... with minimal refinishing to get there..

Ive been looking up on a way to do so, and found out on a router plane...
Guys have been using this method for milling large pieces to make tables or the like from cut trunks for live edge ect....

I have no table saw, but hand tools, compound miter saw, router and a few others...
So this is what I came up with....

I made this to accommodate the 2x4 wide side to mill flat...
I roughly find what is the flattest side, that side down, Wedge in place, Touch the end with bit, back off and set for a shade down in height.
Test a short distance as to the adequacy of the depth of cut. Adjust if necessary....
Carry on milling. I used a 50% overlap on each cut, with a smooth even back forth stroke.
Took me almost the day to build the sled/jig and mill 2 pieces before I had to shut down....
Built all out of scraps I found at the bin of the wood lot I go to... guy I know said take all I want...

After milling, there is slight mill marks, but a light sand or a couple of passes with a hand plane... much better to glue 2 pieces together...
Im thinking to build some wood working mallets for the start...

Attachments

• IMG_20190706_175924.jpg
    IMG_20190706_175924.jpg
    403.7 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_20190706_180914.jpg
    IMG_20190706_180914.jpg
    387.9 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_20190706_154118.jpg
    IMG_20190706_154118.jpg
    345.3 KB · Views: 4

anickode

Reaction score
I've seen some very impressive router plane setups used for mill HUGE live edge slabs of old growth hardwood for tables and stuff. They seem to work great!

Have you ever checked out some of the videos on Nick Offerman's (yes, Ron Swanson) woodshop? Apparently acting is more of a hobby and he considers woodworking to be his primary business.

mckutzy

Reaction score
These are the things im saying about the versatility of this concept...
Having a bit of a knowledge of the principals of woodworking and metal working, Like basic machining, I took and related these to this jig I made...
Most descriptions I had looked up, did not tell about little points on how to achieve a good final product.... I deduced these few bits myself...

That is interesting....No I had not see guy this before, that is if I knew he was a woodworker...
I just saw this one by FineWoodworking.... with his shop on tour, and His big jig plane...
really cool....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zIA2Xl8P7Es

anickode

Reaction score
I love shipping material for wood projects. (Not Pinterest pallet projects) My sheet and plate steel deliveries at work come on 4'x8' skids. They typically have 3) 8' runners of 3"x4" oak or maple, and top boards are usually 1"x6" pine or poplar. None of it is millwork grade and has real unusual grain or color, which gives it some really neat character. I've got a stack of it piled up, and I am planning to build some rustic man cave furniture.

Another vendor ships parts and machinery in crates made of dimensional sawn unplaned yellow pine. Actual 2"x4" and 1"x6" or 1"x8". Lengths are usually 3-6 feet, and again, usually weird grain that made it no good for structural lumber or millwork. Also fun stuff to work with.

Dingocat

Broke
Reaction score
We made a big old shipping pallet into a bridge over a small creek in the woods. Stained it and cutt it down some and good to go.

mckutzy

Reaction score
I did take a nice pallet..
Small but the runners are really heavy... I think maybe mahogany... But it's hardwood...

JTSpeedDemon

2019 Build Off Winner!
Reaction score
My brain is baffled after reading this thread, so I probably shouldn't become a carpenter.:roflol:

mckutzy

Reaction score
Buying is really out of the question....They are not affordable at all for me right now...
Also, for a proper job id need a jointer or at least something to get one plane surface flat for reference to the other side being planed..... A hand electric planer can do this as much as a hand push/or pull planes, but it does it in a short spot... It still has cover over the whole piece and I have to get that relative to each other...(if this makes sense)

For example, if it has a curve, the curve will be followed and translated to the other side...

I do know of a friend of a friend who has one... but it kinda like pulling teeth from them... Ive asked and asked... I have not Idea whats going on.....So I havent been able to go over to do the work, or even get buddy to do this...

JT- Im not surprised the least, you are confused... Thanks for chiming in to tell us of this fact.....:rolleyes:

Dont feel too bad... this day in age, people like yourself aren't really told how to do things in life... Heck even understanding the concepts of certain things like flatness(except the world that is... of course it is flat:rolleyes::ack2:...) or roundness is really a stretch.....

So they are told to do what's easy for them.. and they do... a job and other things that us old folks do, say for a living... thats not them...
So they get a "job" and do things like a Social Media Influencer... and they tell others like yourself that these things are ok, and its good that you may or may not understand, cause there are other people out there for these jobs or positions.....to understand for them.......
Then they wonder why when they get railed by the tax man for the money they got paid for influencing them in the first place... thinking they dont need to pay taxes cause thats not a real job....... but ok to make 100K+ a year... and keep it...

(Ok Poboy moment off......Brother, I feel for ya...Im so feeling old this morning )

So I digress.... Please JT, if you feel you need to comment on things you have no real opinion or actuall knowage.... please dont at all, like AT ALL..... It just furthers the comments and overall opinion of yourself and exemplify your young age to the effect.....
You want to learn about it...just ask... but no smart aleck remarks are required....
This kinda pi$$ed me off...

mckutzy

Reaction score
Aight.... Ill bite... what part of this thread, did you not understand......

Hows that.......

Status
Not open for further replies.