rip 1974 briggs

jmaack

Reaction score
So I had a bad coil and put a predator coil on and got her running again. Idled about 5 minutes and then came to a solid seize. Took the head off and carnage. Opened it up and appears it was run without oil previously. scored crank and other damage. Either way it appears the middle ring broke and gouged the cylinder and destroyed this old piece. Was just an old bushing block but I really liked the looks of it. Gonna yank off what's good and save for a later date.

Attachments

• 20210207_132103.jpg
    20210207_132103.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 22
  • 20210207_140345.jpg
    20210207_140345.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 23
  • 20210207_142654.jpg
    20210207_142654.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 23
  • 20210207_142706.jpg
    20210207_142706.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 20

Budget GoKart

Aka a kenbar
Reaction score
poor little thing i went through 3 blocks while racing a five horse on my go kart at some point the rings where giving up in my motors running em at high rpm in worn out motors

mckutzy

Reaction score
It couldn't be honed out a bit???? ...

I'm sure it'll smoke a bit... But if the rod's not buggered... I'm sure you'll get it to run again without machining the bore.

Am I totally wrong??

Budget GoKart

Aka a kenbar
Reaction score
also that motor is not only oil starved but probably over heated considering the crud on the block i plan on building up a decent motor this summer and taking it racing im gonna make a homemade velocity stack or bug catcher for my little briggs 5 horse snow blower motor which turns out its quite rare one too!

jmaack

Reaction score
It couldn't be honed out a bit???? ...

I'm sure it'll smoke a bit... But if the rod's not buggered... I'm sure you'll get it to run again without machining the bore.

Am I totally wrong??
it was deep. rod was scored also.

mckutzy

Reaction score
Oh crikey... It looked like castiron on my phone... but ya I see it now(on my PC).. It was all the dirt on the block.. that made it look that way...

jmaack

Reaction score
Oh crikey... It looked like castiron on my phone... but ya I see it now(on my PC).. It was all the dirt on the block.. that made it look that way...
it was filthy. it was from a tiller and seeped oil from gov shaft.

JTSpeedDemon

2019 Build Off Winner!
Reaction score
On a sidenote @jmaack , keep the block and especially the fins clean. Debris buildups can cause overheating/seizing. Now sure this was simple oil starvation but just keep your blocks clean from now on. Personally I just can't stand it when the engine's dirty anyways.

jmaack

Reaction score
absolutely. I cleaned alot of it but without a steam clean it wasn't budging. pressure washer didn't help. I got a good bit off with oven cleaner.
On a sidenote @jmaack , keep the block and especially the fins clean. Debris buildups can cause overheating/seizing. Now sure this was simple oil starvation but just keep your blocks clean from now on. Personally I just can't stand it when the engine's dirty anyways.

65ShelbyClone

Reaction score
I had something similar happen to a 10hp Briggs flathead except the oil ring broke and wiped out the cylinder. It was full of clean oil and running at low RPM when it happened. Kart racers used the Cool Bore blocks a lot, but I don't like them. They're short-lived and fragile.

And yes they can be bored and honed, but require a chrome-plated piston which is hen's teeth these days. Unfortunately they can't be reliably Nikasil plated otherwise the bore could actually be made quite durable.