Reversing a Flywheel?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mhan

Reaction score
I have a mini bike wheel with a sprocket mounted to a flywheel and i need to reverse the flywheel so it will engage itself spinning the other way. Do i need a new flywheel or just need to flip it over, and if so...how?

mhan

Reaction score
Pictures

(NOTE: Rear wheel not mounted yet, no axle. Motor not mounted yet)

See Picture 4 for Problem Concerning Flywheel

1. Picture of Rear Wheel Assembly

2. Picture of Rear Wheel With Sprocket

3. Above View of Rear Wheel Assembly

4.Rear Wheel With Bolt On Sprocket Removed

Does anyone know of an easy way to reverse the spin of the flywheel. Maybe just flipping it over?

Russ2251

AZUSA:Powered by LAWN-BOY
Reaction score
I think you are using incorrect terminology. No problem.
Flywheel is located under (behind) black recoil/blower housing and is not exposed in your pics.
Chain simply runs between sprockets and you should be good to go. See attached.
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Attachments

• pocket bike engine.JPG
    pocket bike engine.JPG
    73.6 KB · Views: 22

mhan

Reaction score
i think you guys are misunderstanding me. The flywheel on the wheel is rotating opposite of what i need it. The flywheel disengages the sprocket when going backwards so not to fight the compression of the motor. I need it to do this instead of disengaging when going forwards. The wheel was meant for a motor with the toothed clutch on the other side. Maybe it's a little clearer now

kibble

I banned myself
Reaction score
Oh, I think you're trying to say that the motor is mounted in the opposite way it would be normally, thus spinning in the opposite direction?:confused:

Russ2251

Reaction score
The flywheel on the wheel is rotating opposite of what i need it.
Sorry, there's something I'm just not getting. What do you mean by flywheel? Flywheels are not associated with rear wheel at all.
As you face left side of bike (nice design by the way) transmission sprocket rotates counter clockwise as does drive wheel once your chain is installed. Wheel can only be powered in same direction as engine.
Your design, as pictured, should work well.

Russ2251

Reaction score
Oh, I think you're trying to say that the motor is mounted in the opposite way it would be normally, thus spinning in the opposite direction?:confused:
Mr. Kibble:
I thought of that. Look closely at engine pic. Check starter handle. It is at bottom of housing which is correct for standard left hand or counterclockwise direction (at pto).
This one has me stumped.

kibble

I banned myself
Reaction score
The flywheel on the wheel is rotating opposite of what i need it. The flywheel disengages the sprocket when going backwards so not to fight the compression of the motor. I need it to do this instead of disengaging when going forwards. The wheel was meant for a motor with the toothed clutch on the other side. Maybe it's a little clearer now

Wait wait wait! I think you mean that the "sprocket on the wheel" has a one was bearing or something similar that will not make the wheel turn if it's the position you currently have it! Is that right? Kind of like on a bike, when you pedal, you engage the sprocket and it rotates the wheel.

Russ2251

Reaction score
Wait wait wait! I think you mean that the "sprocket on the wheel" has a one was bearing or something similar that will not make the wheel turn if it's the position you currently have it! Is that right? Kind of like on a bike, when you pedal, you engage the sprocket and it rotates the wheel.
Do you mean like a bicycle coaster brake?:confused:

kibble

I banned myself
Reaction score
Yes! Except not to stop the wheel, just to make it rotate. That's what it's sounding like to me.

jr dragster T

Reaction score
Yes I was JUST about to say that. What he wants is so he can coast without turning over the drive train but what he wants is to reverse the rotation of when the pauls in the sprocket "lock" up.

Russ2251

Reaction score
Mr. Mhan:
It appears you have a wheel that has a built in coaster. Meaning that bearing locks in one direction and freewheels in opposite direction. Is this correct?
If so, it was probably designed to run with a jack shaft. A jack shaft transfers power to other side of frame which would correct your assumed problem.
Adding a jack shaft will make things more complex. Supports and bearings will have to be added which translates into more dollars, work, time, effort, and unnecessary weight.
Try to avoid this if possible. Try to get a wheel/sprocket assembly that does not freewheel or figure out a way to lockup the existing wheel/sprocket assembly.
To flip over engine and then reverse it's direction of rotation would not be cost effective. Would likely cost many times what you paid for engine to begin with.

Status
Not open for further replies.