Revamping a Roebuck (Dingo?)

Smerft85

Reaction score
Looking good! That engine sounds just plain ol nasty too! I don't think you'll have a problem viewing nothing but the sky when you hammer down on it.

Flyinhillbilly

The great cornholio
Reaction score
Thank you, the engine has been sitting with no fuel in the carb for a little while, and didn’t want to idle. I think I’m going to a 28mm flat slide, and that should remedy any carb woes I have. I still have a long way to go, but I’m already excited about riding it.

JTSpeedDemon

2019 Build Off Winner!
Reaction score
Putting a big, high power engine in a yard kart like a Dingo is akin to sticking a 440 Six Pack in a Chevy Nova! Nuts! :stir:
Yard karts are a lot like muscle cars and the likes, and race cars are more like sports cars, and superkarts are obviously equivalent to supercars.

I like making kart/car equivalents. :D

Smerft85

Reaction score
Putting a big, high power engine in a yard kart like a Dingo is akin to sticking a 440 Six Pack in a Chevy Nova! Nuts! :stir:
Yard karts are a lot like muscle cars and the likes, and race cars are more like sports cars, and superkarts are obviously equivalent to supercars.

I like making kart/car equivalents. :D

440 is dodge and I'd have to lovingly slap the owner, how about a twin turbo 572c.i.? :roflol:

JTSpeedDemon

2019 Build Off Winner!
Reaction score
Well true, but putting a Predator on a frame that originally had a Briggs flathead is about the same! :roflol:
Twin turbo 572 works too!

Flyinhillbilly

The great cornholio
Reaction score
Thanks guys, ridiculous is exactly what I’m shooting for. I guess this is what happens when you have spare race motors laying around and get a yard kart.

JTSpeedDemon

2019 Build Off Winner!
Reaction score
I could do the same thing if I got a race motor and had a yard kart laying around! :roflol:

FHB, I think you have one of the biggest budgets of anyone on here. :lolgoku::popcorn:

JTSpeedDemon

2019 Build Off Winner!
Reaction score
I might enter my Radio Rod with an itty bitty block! :roflol:
But I mean, I already won this year, that's all I can really ask for, so I'll probably just do it as a casual build.
I think I need a new cylinder head for it as I think I ruined the old one. That's a bummer, but luckily 3 HP heads are pretty cheap.
First thing I need before I can get it really built AT ALL is a welder. That should be coming around my birthday(it'll be a Northern Tool Ironton 125 flux core BTW, similar to a infamous HF 125, but way more reliable, so there's that).
And I need to get the engine reassembled.

Flyinhillbilly

The great cornholio
Reaction score
I could do the same thing if I got a race motor and had a yard kart laying around! :roflol:

FHB, I think you have one of the biggest budgets of anyone on here. :lolgoku::popcorn:

I’m just an average auto mechanic, but my kids are grown, and the only payment I have is my lake property, so I have a little more disposable income than a lot of people, and go karts are really my only hobby. It doesn’t hurt that my GF is supportive of it and don’t get mad at me when I spend a pile of loot building a new motor.

---------- Post added at 10:47 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:46 AM ----------

I had thoughts of of a big block yard kart for my 2020 build lol

Big blocks are cool and all, but I like how much lighter the small blocks are, and with the extra parts I have in boxes it’s easy to make them fast.

---------- Post added at 10:48 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:47 AM ----------

I might enter my Radio Rod with an itty bitty block! :roflol:
But I mean, I already won this year, that's all I can really ask for, so I'll probably just do it as a casual build.
I think I need a new cylinder head for it as I think I ruined the old one. That's a bummer, but luckily 3 HP heads are pretty cheap.
First thing I need before I can get it really built AT ALL is a welder. That should be coming around my birthday(it'll be a Northern Tool Ironton 125 flux core BTW, similar to a infamous HF 125, but way more reliable, so there's that).
And I need to get the engine reassembled.

Congratulations on the win, hard work and dedication pay off. I started many years ago with a cheap flux core welder, and over the years have upgraded my skill set and tool set. I’ve always pushed myself to get better at everything I do. I’m definitely my own harshest critic.

Flyinhillbilly

The great cornholio
Reaction score
I picked up the rear tires from the tires shop today, and as expected, they did a great job. No nicks or scratches.
When I got home I couldn’t resist sticking the axle in it and putting the tires on to see how much ground clearance I’d have. I was a little worried about it since I went to an 18” tire, but there’s plenty. Probably a full four inches.
I’m getting close to being ready to order the rest of the parts and finish mocking it up. Then the fun part happens, which is paint, and then riding the wheels off of it.

Attachments

• AB6CD1EC-63D4-48EF-8ECF-19E2B0399D49.jpg
    AB6CD1EC-63D4-48EF-8ECF-19E2B0399D49.jpg
    583.4 KB · Views: 11
  • 0A65DFE3-9D0B-435E-9CBE-1E980DAA52D3.jpg
    0A65DFE3-9D0B-435E-9CBE-1E980DAA52D3.jpg
    305.9 KB · Views: 9

Flyinhillbilly

The great cornholio
Reaction score
Well, it appears that I’m kind of stupid. After doing the work to to motor mount to raise the engine to where I thought my starter box would work, it won’t. I didn’t go high enough. I guess I need to raise it about another 3 inches to get it to work.
I’m feeling pretty dumb right about now.

Attachments

• E3E07199-79A9-40CE-A275-AC1AFE2FC096.jpg
    E3E07199-79A9-40CE-A275-AC1AFE2FC096.jpg
    235.3 KB · Views: 8

landuse

Staff member
Reaction score
Well, it appears that I’m kind of stupid. After doing the work to to motor mount to raise the engine to where I thought my starter box would work, it won’t. I didn’t go high enough. I guess I need to raise it about another 3 inches to get it to work.
I’m feeling pretty dumb right about now.

Live and learn :D

gegcorp2012

Reaction score
bumping thread.... Well, did you redesign the starter box or raise the motor in the Dingo ?

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

Flyinhillbilly

The great cornholio
Reaction score
bumping thread.... Well, did you redesign the starter box or raise the motor in the Dingo ?

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

I’m going to make an extension for my starter box so that it will reach over the tire.
Racing season is about to start, so I’ve been working on race karts rather than the Dingo. It still looks just like it did in those last pictures.

Flyinhillbilly

The great cornholio
Reaction score
This thing has been on my mind again lately. I was thinking about the fact that it has a round keyed axle, and I was wondering if anyone knew when they changed to hex? I’m trying to figure out about what year this is.