Revamping a Roebuck (Dingo?)

Smerft85

Reaction score
Check where the back of the seat meets the frame too, all three I've had were broken off and welded back on, usually with very poor bulky welds. Seat may also require a slight bend toward the front to fit the tank on the engine and still have room to adjust the chain, two of mine were like that.

BigWes

Reaction score
That’s the truth. Also, for the $75 it costed me to have it done I consider it a bargain. No telling how much I’d have spent on abrasives, and my time is worth something too. This way it’s just done. Like magic. Now I can move on to mock up and modification.

Did those guys primer paint it as well or just blast it for that price?

I'm curious. I am still working on that old Ken-Bar...well it's sitting out back waiting on me to work on it...

That's my biggest hold up on the frame right now. Getting off my butt and cleaning it up and getting back started. I know I need to replace the front floor pan as well.

Flyinhillbilly

The great cornholio
Reaction score
They just blasted it. I gave it a coat of self etching primer to keep rust at bay while I did the rest of the work.
I think having them blasted is the only way to go. I started doing that back when I used to build choppers and figured out real fast that it was easier to get and stay motivated on something that I wasn’t spending hours and hours sanding off rust and old paint.

Flyinhillbilly

The great cornholio
Reaction score
I ordered a torque converter, a Manco seat that’s already done and ready to put in, new spindles and springs, new rear tires, and a new rear axle bearing kit. I almost went with polished aluminum wheels all the way around, but the shipping was as much as the wheels, so I chickened out. I still need to buy a new band brake, chain, front tires and bearings, flat steel for the floor and seat mount, tie rods, upgraded springs and weights for the TC , and primer and paint, so there’s probably another $3-500 left to be spent on it. If you count the engine (which I built with a lot of parts out of the mystery box, so it was relatively cheap for what it is) I’m easily going to be north of $1k into this, but probably more like $1500.
Reliving my childhood seems expensive, lol.

landuse

Staff member
Reaction score
I ordered a torque converter, a Manco seat that’s already done and ready to put in, new spindles and springs, new rear tires, and a new rear axle bearing kit. I almost went with polished aluminum wheels all the way around, but the shipping was as much as the wheels, so I chickened out. I still need to buy a new band brake, chain, front tires and bearings, flat steel for the floor and seat mount, tie rods, upgraded springs and weights for the TC , and primer and paint, so there’s probably another $3-500 left to be spent on it. If you count the engine (which I built with a lot of parts out of the mystery box, so it was relatively cheap for what it is) I’m easily going to be north of $1k into this, but probably more like $1500.
Reliving my childhood seems expensive, lol.

The problem with all that is when you eventually want to sell it, you aren't going to get more than about $500-$600 for it

Flyinhillbilly

The great cornholio
Reaction score
The problem with all that is when you eventually want to sell it, you aren't going to get more than about $500-$600 for it

I’ll most likely keep it for my grandson to ride when he gets old enough. I used to heads up drag race, and I became a graduate with honors of the buy high, sell low school of finance when I was doing that. I yard saled a $10,000 engine in one pass once. That one hurt.

---------- Post added at 09:01 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:00 AM ----------

Expensive ? True, but Its also priceless. Its really easy to drop waay more $$ on other grown up hobbies.

I look forward to this hopped up dingo build.

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

Thanks, I’m looking forward to riding it. I don’t know that I’ve seen a dingo with the kind of engine that this one will have, so the results should be interesting.

Last edited:

Smerft85

Reaction score
I didn't see it in the thread anywhere, but what engine are you using in it? I thought a two stroke would be fun all day in one of those small frames, even the four stroke clone engines are a bundle of fun but I'm not fortunate enough to have a two stroke around.

Flyinhillbilly

The great cornholio
Reaction score
I didn't see it in the thread anywhere, but what engine are you using in it? I thought a two stroke would be fun all day in one of those small frames, even the four stroke clone engines are a bundle of fun but I'm not fortunate enough to have a two stroke around.

I’m going to use a stock appearing predator race motor on it. It has a 308 cam, ARC rod, champion rockers, chromemoly pushrods, 28/25 valve small chamber head, fully ported with 36lb dual valve springs, PVL flywheel, and I’m thinking about stepping up to a 28mm flatslide carb. It’ll be on 15-25% nitromethane too. It should be plenty on a dingo, it’s bad fast on a race kart with a small carb on it. I’m going to change the weights and springs in the TC to get it to engage around 5k. I’m hoping for big wheelies.

JTSpeedDemon

2019 Build Off Winner!
Reaction score
It's easy to not go too fast with a crazy overpowered engine: just don't press the gas pedal so hard!
Buuut there's no replacement for more HP!! :roflol:

Flyinhillbilly

The great cornholio
Reaction score
The rear tires showed up today. 18x9.50x8, my love for a short, flat treaded ATV tire comes from my days of motocrossing ATV’s in my early 20’s. These tires seem to be more like 16 inches tall rather than 18, but whatever. Less rollout means a lower effective gear ratio, and that means easier wheelies.
The rest of the parts should come in over the next few days and I can get it all mocked up. After that I’ll build the cage, then blow it all back apart for paint and final details. I think I’ll try to get the wheels painted over the weekend since I need the tires mounted to make sure that I have clearance to use my starter box since you would have no chance of pull starting the engine that’s going on it.

Attachments

• 1667F9E1-4475-4848-8CE8-FD62F6340B44.jpg
    1667F9E1-4475-4848-8CE8-FD62F6340B44.jpg
    286 KB · Views: 5

Flyinhillbilly

The great cornholio
Reaction score
30 series TC showed up today.
Waiting on the box from GPS now.
I stopped and picked up paint for the wheels, so I should be able to drop them off and have the tires mounted Monday if everything goes according to plan.

Attachments

• 2E7D144B-2B6A-4AEC-92D3-BCC9231B0574.jpg
    2E7D144B-2B6A-4AEC-92D3-BCC9231B0574.jpg
    279.4 KB · Views: 1

Flyinhillbilly

The great cornholio
Reaction score
I got some actual work done this weekend. I raised and changed the angle on the motor mount, got the wheels painted, cut all the rusty flat stuff out, and welded up the broken places in the frame.

Attachments

• 7ABC3228-658A-4708-9BF8-B61343FBADDE.jpg
    7ABC3228-658A-4708-9BF8-B61343FBADDE.jpg
    288.7 KB · Views: 4
  • F8A95B50-9588-4896-A6EC-FA99D37F160E.jpg
    F8A95B50-9588-4896-A6EC-FA99D37F160E.jpg
    285.8 KB · Views: 4
  • EC3D7B25-58CC-46EE-B1D2-1E00B14C8530.jpg
    EC3D7B25-58CC-46EE-B1D2-1E00B14C8530.jpg
    320.1 KB · Views: 4

Flyinhillbilly

The great cornholio
Reaction score
Dropped the rear tires and wheels off at the tire shop this morning. I could’ve mounted them myself, but after painting them, I didn’t want to scratch them up.
They should be ready to pick up tomorrow.