Revamping a Roebuck (Dingo?)

Flyinhillbilly

The great cornholio
Reaction score
A friend of mine told me a while back that he had an old go kart that he’d give me if I wanted it, and of course I said yes without even looking at it.
We finally got together today, and I picked it and another one for parts. I thought it was a dingo judging by the description, but when I got it it had a Sears and Roebuck tag on the seat back. I’ll have to do some digging and see what it is exactly, but one thing that I know it is already is cool.
My plan is to rip it apart and get it all sandblasted so that I can paint it, then throw one of my race motors on it with a torque converter and have some fun with it.

Attachments

• 53AC5E4E-24DD-4E6C-B226-4FD6F55C93D1.jpg
    53AC5E4E-24DD-4E6C-B226-4FD6F55C93D1.jpg
    195.3 KB · Views: 21
  • B428E164-E569-43A8-825A-C1C961786173.jpg
    B428E164-E569-43A8-825A-C1C961786173.jpg
    456.7 KB · Views: 34
  • AF637128-CCAC-480C-8422-A91CF2EECF48.jpg
    AF637128-CCAC-480C-8422-A91CF2EECF48.jpg
    407.1 KB · Views: 25

JTSpeedDemon

2019 Build Off Winner!
Reaction score
Yeah, that's gotta be a Dingo. I didn't know Manco sold through Sears! Interesting!
What condition is the poor ol' flattie in? Salvageable? Buildable?? :D:D;);)
'Cause, ya know, a scored cylinder is just an excuse to bore it! :roflol:
Chances are though, that it's a plain ol' 130202 with the non replaceable plain bearings, and probably an aluminum bore. :(

Smerft85

Reaction score
Definitely a dingo missing the portion of roll cage over the engine, I be got two just like it, actually getting ready to do a build log on them, I'll ride the one that runs while I build the other, then strip the runner down and clean it up too. I show a little preference to these small frame dingos, my large frame dingo was parked right after making it run because it likes to roll, so I'm going to use it to finish both small frames.

Nice find, I hope for your sake that's all surface rust, as far as the sears tag, the one I'm building has the same size and shape tag, however it's not legible at all, thanks for solving that mystery for me! Sounds like you have the right idea, make it fast and fun, mine is like a little bouncing missile going down the road with just a de-governed 6.5 honda clone. Good luck with your build, I'll be doing mine right along with you.

Flyinhillbilly

The great cornholio
Reaction score
The flattie that’s on it is stuck solid, even the carb is siezed. If I get the urge to run a flathead on it I still have the open flathead that we were racing this summer sitting on a shelf.
We had one just about like this when I was a kid, but I only got to ride it about 20 feet before the belt broke, my dad didn’t have the first idea where to get a replacement so it sat until us boys dragged home a 125cc two stroke dirt bike one day and I began to transplant the engine onto the dingo. They all thought it was pretty funny until it became obvious that the little 12 year old knucklehead that I was back then was actually going to make it work.
My dad and my neighbor shot the engine full of holes to keep me from killing myself, so I never really got to ride it at all.
This is going to be me recapturing a little piece of my childhood.
I’m pretty excited about it.

karl

Reaction score
Im jealous, I owned two or three dingos when I was younger.

I would love to get another to build up, but everyone wants so much for them.

Good score, can wait too see it flying around!

Flyinhillbilly

The great cornholio
Reaction score
Im jealous, I owned two or three dingos when I was younger.

I would love to get another to build up, but everyone wants so much for them.

Good score, can wait too see it flying around!

I only had the one, but we had some one wheel peel karts.
This one is a turd, but I’m going to change all that.

ENGINUITY

Reaction score
Gi'day Flinhillbilly.My first post and my question is off subject .How is the tillotsen race engine progressing ?

Flyinhillbilly

The great cornholio
Reaction score
Gi'day Flinhillbilly.My first post and my question is off subject .How is the tillotsen race engine progressing ?

Slowly gathering parts. I’m waiting on a pretty crazy cylinder head for it right now, and it should pick up steam after the first of the year. I’m hoping it’ll be a bad machine.

---------- Post added at 11:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:03 PM ----------

Yup, I agree your new toy looks like my Manco Dingo 285 :thumbsup:

The front spindle brackets are wider to accommodate the suspension/spring between the spindle & the top of the "C" bracket.

There's a lot of info in this thread, that may be of interest :cheers2:

http://www.diygokarts.com/vb/showthread.php?t=33680

I’ve been binge watching all the dingo videos I can find on YouTube tonight, I haven’t bothered trying to look up the numbers yet.
How do you like the turf tires? I’m actually considering going that route as the rear tires I have are roached out.

Smerft85

Reaction score
Turf tires from what I've noticed will have less road noise, same concept of mud tires on a truck vs. Car tires. I also noticed they will slide easier, my knobby tires didn't slide and caused a rollover, among other issues with that kart. I like the turf tires myself, but I'm not really climbing anything with my karts, small hills is about it.

Dingocat

Broke
Reaction score
I have the original tires on the back of mine. They're pretty dry rotted but have tubes. On pavement it's easy to spin the kart around, only problem is that the turf savers up front are worn.

Flyinhillbilly

The great cornholio
Reaction score
Got the tires dismounted and got everything dropped off at the sandblaster. They said it would be after the first of the year due to the holidays. Now I guess I’ll start looking at what parts are available.
I’ve already found spindles/springs and a seat kit at gps.
This could end up being pretty easy.

Flyinhillbilly

The great cornholio
Reaction score
I picked up the dingo on my lunch break today, and put it in the gf’s car since it’s supposed to rain this afternoon.
My initial impression is that they did a nice job on it, and other that a little rust pitting here and there it seems pretty sound. I’ll look it over better tonight when I have more time.

Attachments

• 3F0E5A42-807F-4CB2-A95D-38E66AEA65F2.jpg
    3F0E5A42-807F-4CB2-A95D-38E66AEA65F2.jpg
    121.4 KB · Views: 15

mckutzy

Reaction score
You know sandblasting, weather its sand, glass meadia or even shotblasting... the items are often surprising whats left... Sometimes its worse off than with all the decay and rust making it what it is... other times... Ive seen pumps I used to work on which were a big ball of rust and crap with a couple of wire hanging out...Turned out it might be close to brand new underneath the literal crap and stuff taken off of it...
Interesting how it came out...

Flyinhillbilly

The great cornholio
Reaction score
That’s the truth. Also, for the $75 it costed me to have it done I consider it a bargain. No telling how much I’d have spent on abrasives, and my time is worth something too. This way it’s just done. Like magic. Now I can move on to mock up and modification.