Removing jackshaft.

Seventy Won

Reaction score
Tear down on my Ken Bar cart is complete and I've found a couple bad bearings on the jack shaft.

Two questions:

1. Does this shaft look worn to you?
2: How do I remove it? Is this just pressed on?

I have a 30 ton shop press but there appears to be a threaded portion at the rear of it. I've done a lot of Googling and You-Tubing on the subject but am still a bit unclear as to how to remove/replace this. Thanks.

Attachments

• 101_0910.JPG
    101_0910.JPG
    2.8 MB · Views: 13
  • 101_0912.JPG
    101_0912.JPG
    2.8 MB · Views: 14

madprofessor

"Loose Cannon Creations"
Reaction score
Are you saying there's bearings inside the driven pulley? Never seen that anywhere in my life. What in the world was the jackshaft riding on when you removed it? I've only ever seen jackshafts that spin in their own bearings, with the driven pulley fastened rigid to the jackshaft, spinning with the jackshaft.

ONE-EYE

Reaction score
They normally slide right off. Super slick and a gentle rubber mallet swing got me there. Im not 100% without seeing more of your setup. Make sure there aren't any C-clips anywhere besides what's on the driven itself.

Attachments

• 16342434257053161162670970282521.jpg
    16342434257053161162670970282521.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 1

Seventy Won

Reaction score
Are you saying there's bearings inside the driven pulley? Never seen that anywhere in my life. What in the world was the jackshaft riding on when you removed it? I've only ever seen jackshafts that spin in their own bearings, with the driven pulley fastened rigid to the jackshaft, spinning with the jackshaft.

There was two bearings on the left hand side (the side with the spring). There was a bearing pillow on the right side. If you look closely, that looks as if it was repaired (silver brazed?) at one time.

The assembly was loose so I removed it. I knocked out both bearings. One came out fine. The other came out in chunks. Unfortunately I lost the decent one.

I'll throw it on the press tomorrow and see what happens. I don't see any clips.

Denny

Canned Monster
Reaction score
If it was me I would get all new bearings and check for fit on both shaft and holders and adjust accordingly if necessary.

Seventy Won

Reaction score
I just ordered new bearings.The shaft still hasn't budged. Heatin' and beatin' didn't do a thing. I've never seen such stubborn rust. Hopefully the shaft rides well on the new bearings.

In other news, the frame has been blasted and primed. I'm currently in the process of sanding it with 600 grit paper. My 18lb. HF tumbler will be here on Tuesday and my Caswell Zinc plating kit should arrive about the same time.

madprofessor

"Loose Cannon Creations"
Reaction score
If you can get it running with the jackshaft riding on the new bearings and the driven pulley still stuck on the shaft...............
You can hold it floored at speed and slam on the rear brake. If that doesn't spin the driven on the jackshaft, you can depend on it staying solid.

Seventy Won

Reaction score
If you can get it running with the jackshaft riding on the new bearings and the driven pulley still stuck on the shaft...............
You can hold it floored at speed and slam on the rear brake. If that doesn't spin the driven on the jackshaft, you can depend on it staying solid.

The driven is keyed.

On this rig, there had been a somewhat cobbled looking weld repair done to the portion of the frame which supports the bearing pillow. I suspect that was because the two bearings (3/4" x 1.78") which held the shaft had partially failed and allowed the driven to wobble. This wobble/vibration then wreaked havoc on the bearing pillow and frame.

I took the cart for a very short test ride before disassembly began. This is when I noticed that the bearing pillow had cracked completely.

The nose of the shaft which engages the bearing pillow has uneven wear/color. This is why I'd like to remove it.

Attachments

• 101_0844.JPG
    101_0844.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 11
  • 101_0910COPY.jpg
    101_0910COPY.jpg
    884 KB · Views: 11

madprofessor

"Loose Cannon Creations"
Reaction score
bearing pillow and frame
Yeah, you could call them that or much less. I despise those flimsy sheetmetal "frames" as you call them, I only use cast iron pillow block bearings. Here's some I'm using currently, have 12 of them on the kart..............
4 Pcs Premium Unit 1 inch Bore Self-align Pillow Block Bearing UCP 205-16 Tool | eBay
UCP204-12 Pillow Block Bearing 3/4" Bore 2 Bolt Solid Base (8PCS) 762931495569 | eBay
and some 2-piece locking collars.............3/4” BORE DOUBLE SPLIT STEEL (10 PCS)CLAMPING SHAFT COLLAR BLACK OXIDE free ship | eBay

Seventy Won

Reaction score
Yeah, you could call them that or much less. I despise those flimsy sheetmetal "frames" as you call them, I only use cast iron pillow block bearings. Here's some I'm using currently, have 12 of them on the kart..............
4 Pcs Premium Unit 1 inch Bore Self-align Pillow Block Bearing UCP 205-16 Tool | eBay
UCP204-12 Pillow Block Bearing 3/4" Bore 2 Bolt Solid Base (8PCS) 762931495569 | eBay
and some 2-piece locking collars.............3/4” BORE DOUBLE SPLIT STEEL (10 PCS)CLAMPING SHAFT COLLAR BLACK OXIDE free ship | eBay

I meant the actual cart frame, not the pillow block. It had been previously cracked and repaired.

Thanks for the recomendations. I also dislike these things and I especially detest the stack of rusty washers underneath it.

Seventy Won

Reaction score
Update: Got it all apart. Took a press to it.

I now have a new issue. The shaft has what appears to be a machined area where the 2nd bearing is supposed to sit.

The housing for the jack shaft has a machined pocket in each end specifically for these bearings. Once assembled, the shaft will wobble since the machined area in the shaft is directly under the second bearing. The bearings fit the housing just fine but the shaft wobbles inside the bearing.

I have absolutely no idea what's going on here. This cannot be right. What's really odd though is that this area looks like it was intentionally machined out. It does not look like wear to me.

I know a local machine shop who could probably fill in the area with weld and machine it down but I'm afraid to think what that'll cost.

What are your thoughts on how to proceed with this?

Attachments

• 101_1008.JPG
    101_1008.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 5
  • 101_1003.JPG
    101_1003.JPG
    2.6 MB · Views: 5

madprofessor

"Loose Cannon Creations"
Reaction score
Best guess: That's a worn down spot where a bearing used to sit, and it froze up. Tension of the chain constantly pulling the shaft to one side would prevent any wobble, ie; prevent being noticed until it wore down.
You know that recess is not for a bearing, because the bearing would have to slide over the shaft, then shrink down into the recess. It won't.
Just get a new shaft.

Seventy Won

Reaction score
Best guess: That's a worn down spot where a bearing used to sit, and it froze up. Tension of the chain constantly pulling the shaft to one side would prevent any wobble, ie; prevent being noticed until it wore down.
You know that recess is not for a bearing, because the bearing would have to slide over the shaft, then shrink down into the recess. It won't.
Just get a new shaft.

That makes perfect sense. That would also explain why the frame had been repaired under the bearing pillow as well.

Seventy Won

Reaction score
This shaft is a mess. It's badly worn and I cannot get consistent measurements anywhere on it. Despite this, 5/8th ID bearings fit fine on it and the length is just a touch under 12". I believe the nose has been ground down and soldered (?) to fit the pillow block bearing (SA202-10).

The closest match I found is this one: https://www.mfgsupply.com/gomini/go...ckshaftonly/az8180-12-threaded-jackshaft.html

Unfortunately there are threads right to the end and they will wind up inside the pillow block. I know this isn't exactly the International Space Station (lol) but will this be acceptable?

Attachments

• 101_1016.JPG
    101_1016.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 2
  • 101_1016COPY.jpg
    101_1016COPY.jpg
    419.3 KB · Views: 2

madprofessor

"Loose Cannon Creations"
Reaction score
Just use this one that's 2" longer................
14" Jackshaft 5/8" OD, 3/16" Keyway, 5/8-18 x 1.5" Long Threads | Go Kart & Mini Bike Parts | MFG Supply.................
................or just use this one that's 4" longer
16" Jackshaft 5/8" OD, 3/16" Keyway, 5/8-18 x 1.5" Long Threads | Go Kart & Mini Bike Parts | MFG Supply.................
................or just use...............oh never mind, you get the picture. It doesn't matter how long the shaft is as long as you have room for it or can cut it to fit. You've got all kinds of extra room to the left, even if you don't want to cut off the excess.
By the way: Technically speaking that is indeed a "pillow block bearing", just not what I call those (I call it "Oops, must have accidentally gone out with the garbage pick up this morning!"). This is a "cast iron pillow block bearing", the only thing I'll use................
UCP202-10 Pillow Block Bearing 5/8" Bore 2 Bolt Solid Base (2 Pieces) 799789048616 | eBay