Rebuilding my old kart

Status
Not open for further replies.

gguuyy

Reaction score
Hey everyone. I've been fixing up my old kart that I had when I was a kid and just recently got back. While I was removing the old paint I found a sticker that said kartco and had a model number on it that I couldn't quite make out but besides that I don't know much about the make or model. The build is coming along nicely so I thought I would put some pics up for everyone to see and thanks for all the help with my noob questions!

image.jpg

gguuyy

Reaction score
Having some trouble getting the pics right sorry. I almost have it finished I'm just waiting on the seat cover and some parts to get the throttle set-up done and ill be finished with it.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 26

gguuyy

Reaction score
Yes it is a GX200. Nice bump up from my 70s model 5hp B&S. I was gonna go with the Predator 212 because of the price but I got lucky and my brother showed up with the Honda.So far I've welded the weak spots on the frame and sheet metal,new clutch and chain,striped the old paint and put new paint( the black on the sheet metal I used spray on bedliner), used a wire brush to remove all the rust for any bare metal including nuts and bolts, and now I'm just waiting on my throttle linkage kit to come in so I can finally take it out for spin:wai:. It's all origanal except the engine and seat.

I found a sticker under the old paint that said Kartco with a model number but I could only see two of the numbers. Do you think that would mean its a Kartco brand or did Kartco just sale other karts? Someone said it looked like a Manco but I don't have a clue.

rocketkart

Reaction score
that does not look like a manco at all to me. what was the numbers that you can see on it ?

itsid

Staff member
Reaction score
Well it's a Kartco (you'll notice the family looking at other kartco karts)

I do not know which numbers you see, but since it's a two seater the number should start with a six and be three digits so 6xx... (there are exceptions, but very few 76xx for yerf dog alikes for example)

And looking at your "before" picture, I think it was printed to the floor sticker.

that'd make it a 60X ? (can't tell what's the number on the decal)

And the last digit was the approx. HP of the mounted engine... so if there were different models (605, 609) it'd been just the engine, not the frame AFAIK.

So, what's the numbers you can see?

'sid

gguuyy

Reaction score
The sticker was on the floor under the seat and it said 605 I just thought there would be more numbers.The large sticker on the floor closer to the pedals had 699 on it I believe but not sure. Thanks for the info Sid.

itsid

Staff member
Reaction score
You're welcome;
but having two numbers that match the pattern is odd..

699 *shrugs* can't find that model, but upsidedown [669] would be this one
quite different than yours.

605 would be this one closer but still no match.

Maybe someone else can shed some light. *shrugs*

'sid

gguuyy

Reaction score
I don't think the 699 number had anything to do with the model it was more for advertising I believe because it had large curved arrows above the number and the number on it could have been 999 idk. The first number was worn off.

itsid

Staff member
Reaction score
If you look at the links, the kartco karts do have their model number on a sticker on each side.. I think that's the best bet for you to find out the correct model ;)

But I think you'll have to either wait for someone to join in that knows, or maybe ask around (former sellers like gokartsusa.com for example)

'sid

gguuyy

Reaction score
Well I got it all done and its a blast to ride. It has plenty of torque to drift around the house and destroy the yard. Pretty low top speed but I'd rather have the low end anyways. Thanks for all the advice everyone. Now it's on to the next project a 1985 ATC 250R 2 stroke.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    187.7 KB · Views: 5

gguuyy

Reaction score
Throttle linkage setup. That was the hardest part in my opinion or at least the most frustrating because I ordered the kit but still had to fab some pieces and figure it out on my own.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 4

OzFab

Reaction score
Throttle linkage setup. That was the hardest part in my opinion or at least the most frustrating because I ordered the kit but still had to fab some pieces and figure it out on my own.

You do know there's another, dare I say, easier way but, it appears you don't have the correct anchor plate...

Status
Not open for further replies.