Razor Dune Buggy - Upgraded Components and then fried stuff. Advice needed..

ts2340

Reaction score
I bought a new pedal (3 wire) and this lock/voltmeter.

E-Bike Thumb Throttle Digital Battery Voltage Display Switch Power with Key Lock https://a.co/d/8y7Y8sA

• Green is for throttle hall signal, red wire is for throttle +5V, black is negative wire; please connect according to controller function wire, U can not just match same color wire, if wrong connected that will damage your controller and throttle.

• would I connect this to the “indicator wires” and the power lock wires somehow?

Functional Artist

Reaction score
That, my friend, is a deceptive ad, if ever I seen one :eek:

That's not a thumb throttle at all :confused:

It's just an On/Off switch & a voltage meter,
...& notice you don't see a thumb lever in the pic ;)

*They even discuss this "fact" in the comments below the ad

They don't give much "good info" in the ad
...so, your gonna have ta do some testin", ta see what wire does what :thumbsup:

IMO
Red goes to (+) indicator wire
...& black is (-)
...not sure about the green? :huh: (maybe controller On? ...but, again not sure)

ts2340

Reaction score
Yea, I know the description says throttle but I literally bought it just for the voltmeter and key switch.. I bought a 3 wire pedal for the throttle..

What I was wondering is how I would hook up this 3 wire voltmeter/switch.. It says

Green is for throttle hall signal
red wire is for throttle +5V
black is negative wire

So that means the orange/black wires from the controller (indicator light) will go to the red/black wires of this voltmeter/switch.. But that leaves only one wire on this key switch.. Green.. Which it says is for throttle hall signal? Then how will it work as an on/off switch?

Functional Artist

Reaction score
The ad is confusing so, don't go by it. (I believe there describing how to connect the non-existent throttle)

On many controllers the "power lock" (On/Off) function just connects pack voltage to the controller. (to activate it)

So, I would agree that the orange & black wires marked "indicator light" should connect to the red & black wires of the volt meter/switch
...& since the orange/red connection "is" pack voltage then, I believe connecting the green wire to your "power lock" "input" wire (& activating the switch) should turn the controller "on"

It's early so, I hope this makes sense ;)

ts2340

Reaction score
The ad is confusing so, don't go by it. (I believe there describing how to connect the non-existent throttle)

On many controllers the "power lock" (On/Off) function just connects pack voltage to the controller. (to activate it)

So, I would agree that the orange & black wires marked "indicator light" should connect to the red & black wires of the volt meter/switch
...& since the orange/red connection "is" pack voltage then, I believe connecting the green wire to your "power lock" "input" wire (& activating the switch) should turn the controller "on"

It's early so, I hope this makes sense ;)
I was hoping to use this key switch AS the on/off switch.. The two wires coming from the controller for the switch just need grounded in order to then send power to the motor.. So I thought I could use this key switch to accomplish that??

The orange/black indicator wires to the red/black wires on the voltmeter/switch definitely are correct and work.. So the green wire.. You say connecting it to the power lock "input" wire.. What do you mean by input wire? Like I mentioned above, the power lock wires when I connect them together to just ground them (like a toggle switch would do) then it powers the motor..

Sorry if all this sounds dumb..

My bottom line is this.. I have the stock thumb throttle that has 6 wires.. I cannot figure out what wires of those 6 would connect to the 3 wires of the controller.. That is why I then bought a 3 wire pedal throttle so I can just connect that to the controller.. While I was shopping I thought it would be nice to also have a voltmeter and key switch so I added that thinking this would all be simple lol..

Well I go the pedal and I don't think it will even work to mount it so now I'm really back to square one..

Functional Artist

Reaction score
I believe you should be able to use the key switch as an "On/Off switch" :thumbsup:

If you check the "power lock" wires with a MM (multi-meter)
...(1) should read as "pack voltage"
...& the other one should read (0)

The wire reading (0) is your "input wire"
...& if pack voltage is connected to that wire, the controller should "turn on"

Also, please provide some pics of your pedal mounting issues
...maybe we can help ;)

Functional Artist

Reaction score
Well, with the voltage meter connected as shown in the video, check the green wire with MM (with & without activating the switch)

When the switch is "off" the green wire should read 0
...& when the switch is activated, it should show pack voltage

Because that's all it has to work with
...orange wire = pack voltage (+) & the black wire = pack negative (-)

As for the pedal, I'd make a cardboard template matching the base of the pedal
...to mark the position of the (3) screws
...& also, where the floor needs to be cut out

Then, to cut a hole in the (looks to be plastic) floor (if that's what you want to do)
...after marking drill the (3) holes
...then, use the drill to make (3) more holes right next to each other (in line with the "big" cut out)
...so, then, you can insert a saw blade in the "slot" made with the (3) holes & cut it out ;)

ts2340

Reaction score
With the controller switch wires connected together, the voltmeter displays the voltage… the green wire rests 0v with the key off and tests 48v with the key on…

Functional Artist

Reaction score
If the red wire on the power lock plug is pack voltage
...& the orange wire on the indicator is pack voltage
...then, either one should be able to activate the controller, when connected to the black wire, on the power lock connector
(that black wire confuses things)

Notice that both of the power lock wires are the same color (orange) coming out of the controller?

This is NOT a positive (+) & negative (-) type situation (see how the red & black wires are confusing things)

On the power lock circuit, the (1) orange wire (that's pack voltage) simply supplies that (48V) to the other orange wire.
...so, applying 48V from "anywhere" should activate the controller

* Um...jualla :banana:
...the controller has to be activated/on for the volt meter to work
...& so, if the controller isn't "on" & supplying "power" to your "new" meter/switch
...then, there is no "power" available (at that time) to activate the controller (thru the green wire)

Which means (to use it on this kart) you would have to "power" the switch/volt meter directly off of the batt pack

Hope this makes sense ;)

ts2340

Reaction score
It does, thanks..

So if I'm thinking right.. I can just use the new pedal, 3 wire to 3 wire.. for my throttle.. I can just wire a toggle switch somewhere and secure it on the back of the cart.. Then I will remove the stock throttle and install the voltmeter which would literally just show the voltage of the battery but nothing else.. The key part wouldn't work..

That seem like the easiest thing to do without getting more parts?

Or.... I find a different keyswitch/voltmeter that works the way I need it to for this cart and eliminate the toggle switch I would have to install in the back..

Functional Artist

Reaction score
Yes, swap old throttle for new pedal throttle & connect properly (red to red. black to black & other to other)

If you connect the volt meter to the indicator plug, the switch will not work to turn the controller on
...because the controller needs to be "on" first
...which then turns your voltmeter/switch "on"

* Kind of a putting the kart before the horse type of thing ;)

Does your kart have an on/off switch or key switch of some kind already?
...if not then, yes it looks like you will need a separate switch to turn the controller on & off

ts2340

Reaction score
OK so I finally got it running.. My son rode it up and down the street and the motor came a little loose so I have to address that..

One thing he didn't like was the pedal.. With the thumb throttle it was easier to *ease* into going.. It seems like the pedal is more jerky when he hits it..

I was thinking of getting a new thumb throttle but wondered which one will work..

Best Option: It would be able to have an on/off switch on it, a voltmeter, and a throttle
Second Best: voltmeter and a throttle
Last option: Just the throttle..

Would this work for my "best" option wants? https://www.amazon.com/VGEBY1-Throt...sprefix=thumb+throttle+with+vo,aps,205&sr=8-6

1658319685605.png

ts2340

Reaction score
He was pumped for sure!

I'd get another thumb throttle but the steering wheel only has the one piece coming out from it to put a throttle on..

1658336952905.png

ts2340

Reaction score
So this bad boy has been running solid for a while now with no issues with the motor or controller since I upgraded them. Very fast and lasts a long time. However, I replaced the tires numerous times. I think I’ve replaced four or five tires so far. Is that normal!?

EpsilonZero

...still cheaper than a boat!
Reaction score
I didn't keep the stock ones on long enough to need replacement. Are both your front and rear tires needing replacement at the same time?

ts2340

Reaction score
I didn't keep the stock ones on long enough to need replacement. Are both your front and rear tires needing replacement at the same time?
Not “needing “ replaced. I’m talking flat. I’ve replaced I think all four at this point and since then two of them have gone flat already. Won’t hold air or have holes.

EpsilonZero

...still cheaper than a boat!
Reaction score
Make sure you aren't pinching the tubes in the split rim. Where are you seeing the holes?