Razor Dune Buggy Axle and Wheel Upgrade

EpsilonZero

...still cheaper than a boat!
Reaction score
After messing around and modifying the stock axle and front spindles to mount larger wheels, I still wasn't happy. I decided to go for a more standard axle and settled on doing a 3/4" custom job with shaft adapters to mount 1" ID wheels. I didn't go 1" for the shaft because it was easier to source a sprocket and a sprocket hub that I used as a brake rotor (reusing the stock caliper). I also cut off the front spindle nuts and added a washer to reduce the negative camber and get rid of a bit of stock steering wobble.

So, I went from this:
20220424_123823.jpg
...to this: 20220514_182822.jpg
...and I made a video showing the upgrades. I have spent a lot of hours working on projects and never tried filming it before now. My three year old assisted with the project, too.

Functional Artist

Reaction score
Nice work! :thumbsup:

Kool 3/4" to 1" shaft adapters (for rear wheels)
...but, didn't ya need a "taller" key? :unsure:
...'cause it has to engage the keyway in the 3/4" axle, then extend up thru the adapter & then, into the keyway of the wheel hub

* Also, if ya "sleeve" the axle in between things (rim to bearing, bearing to sprocket, sprocket to rotor, rotor to bearing & bearing to rim)
...none of these components can move (shift from side to side) out of their designated position
...& the keys are "locked" in place too (so, ya can't loose 'em) ;)

EpsilonZero

Reaction score
Those are stepped keys I am installing in the video. They are taller and span both of the overlapping keyways.

I've had good luck with lock collars not shifting on axles, but less with them clamping keys well enough in their own keyways. It is probably just a tolerance issue with some of my lock collars' keyways, but since I started just butting the key ends up against the collars I have yet to lose another one. The cost is just an extra collar and I don't need to cut it to size. I did make spacers for the front spindles, but used collars in the rear. If I ever run into an issue, spacers are still an option.

njhgv

Reaction score
OH SHOOT! I didnt realize it but I've been following you for some time on youtube, because I want to build something similar to this. You should link this thread or others to your youtube.

EpsilonZero

Reaction score
I do have a few links to videos spread around here. One of my videos blew up and has about 250k views now. I was encouraged enough to build a new camera mount for my big kart.

Mount.jpg

Too bad I did the new mount before the new fenders. Those sticky Hoosiers like to throw rocks...

Broken Camera.jpg

I should have some new drone footage soon. I have a buddy coming over to pilot while I drive.

EpsilonZero

Reaction score
...and if you didn't see it before, I am driving the Dune Buggy while filming in this video. :)

njhgv

Reaction score
I do have a few links to videos spread around here. One of my videos blew up and has about 250k views now. I was encouraged enough to build a new camera mount for my big kart.

View attachment 133007

Too bad I did the new mount before the new fenders. Those sticky Hoosiers like to throw rocks...

View attachment 133008

I should have some new drone footage soon. I have a buddy coming over to pilot while I drive.
yea, thats how I found you a few months ago

EpsilonZero

Reaction score
yea, thats how I found you a few months ago
Awesome. Crazy coincidence that you found the forum I post on. To mark the occasion, here's a couple videos that weren't public from a couple years ago with an older build version of the big kart:

madprofessor

"Loose Cannon Creations"
Reaction score
Epsilon, the coolest part of that kart isn't even part of the kart. Here in sunny (damp) Florida, those tow-behind-your-bicycle baby buggies are very common and very much a thrill for the kiddies.
I've seen a number of excited-looking babies in those things here in Jacksonville, casting about, trying to see everything, grinning like a mule eating briars, enjoying the breeze, as opposed to the other end of the spectrum of bored sleepy babies in push-buggies who look like they only want to be out of the heat and the ride to be over.
I'm sure any of them would be squealing and drooling with excitement over being dragged along at 30mph behind a loud little gokart bouncing them around my neighborhood. Suggestion for the buggy: MP3 player, battery-powered speakers, some good rock and roll. Happy babies!

EpsilonZero

Reaction score
Epsilon, the coolest part of that kart isn't even part of the kart. Here in sunny (damp) Florida, those tow-behind-your-bicycle baby buggies are very common and very much a thrill for the kiddies.
I've seen a number of excited-looking babies in those things here in Jacksonville, casting about, trying to see everything, grinning like a mule eating briars, enjoying the breeze, as opposed to the other end of the spectrum of bored sleepy babies in push-buggies who look like they only want to be out of the heat and the ride to be over.
I'm sure any of them would be squealing and drooling with excitement over being dragged along at 30mph behind a loud little gokart bouncing them around my neighborhood. Suggestion for the buggy: MP3 player, battery-powered speakers, some good rock and roll. Happy babies!
My kids love that trailer and I have used it many times specifically to get one or both of them to sleep at night. I haven't pulled them at 30mph, though. I reinforced the trailer, but I would still worry.

My oldest did request speakers and I do already have onboard sound with Bluetooth. I could pop some speakers in there... :ROFLMAO: