r97's winder!?

Status
Not open for further replies.

r97

Measure twice cut once
Reaction score
OK, so i'm sure at least a few of you know i'm interested in building a sidewinder. for those of you that don't,
http://www.edge.au.com/Categories/Sidewinder

(summary at bottom :D)

anyway i'm looking to build a sidewinder so i can finally have something to ride off road, and that works!:wai:

my budget is 1,000, but i have a feeling i will have to spend a bit more, but thats ok because i have some stuff i can sell, and i plan to build slowly, and i will have a good buggy at the end. :2guns:

to keep in my budget i'm going to build at a relatively slow pace and slowly accumulate parts when they are cheapest. going slowly will also allow me to do everything very carefully so it turns out nice. :auto:

as for parts, you will mostly be seeing eBay, surplus center, junkyard, and craigslist stuff. i'm going to use ATV tires and rims, or ATV tires and trailer rims. will probably use trailer hubs too. not sure what to do about shocks, motorcycle, ATV? :ack2:
maybe you guys can help with that...... :D

engine, i'm going to be looking for a 400cc, or 500cc single cylinder motorcycle to use as a parts bike.

i will be riding around on av trails, dirt roads, and through a sand pit. not looking to go horribly fast, just want to do donuts, climb hills, and maybe hit 40 or 45mph tops.

anyway, i plan to buy the plans sometime today, then hopefully get to work on the frame after spring vacation (all of next week, i will be in Colorado). i will be picking up parts along the way when they are cheep (i'm waiting for a return call on a full set of ATV tires and rims for 50 bucks right now.). i may also be helping my friend build a dirt bike later.

as always, any input is appreciated, even if i'm not interested in an idea, i at least learn something, and i often use that idea later for a different project.

:cheers2:

r97

Measure twice cut once
Reaction score
OK, nobody tell me not to get the winder plans now! :D

just ordered them, this thing is built like a TANK! definitely more elaborate construction than the Taipan, which is good because it will provide a challenge for me!

this thing is going to be insane!

Bluethunder3320

Reaction score
christ im a sidewinder, ima, california king!

goood luck with this. i wish i could gather everything to build this, but i need to win the lotto.

theres some good cheap shocks at go kart supply, i think it was.

bighead

Reaction score
Very cool, Make sure you get an working electric start with your engine. Most starter motors are like $200 or so. Just don't over power it friend.

Not sure what moters would be best. But what rings a bell in my head is the Honda XR engines. Or even the older DT yamaha's 2 strokers. Not as powerfull but good engine with electric start and pull start in the ATC three wheeler engines. ATC engines have great torque. The back up pull start is very nice as well. The reason I would be leaning with the ATC and DT engines are the deals on CL. This stuff comes up all the time for great deals. Sure the Honda XR600 and Xr650 would be nice. But you pay lots for a parts bike only. ATC's are $200 to $300 all day long running. Same with the older Yamaha DT's.

Just my thoughts friend.

r97

Measure twice cut once
Reaction score
thanks guys!

blue, i bet if you saved up for a while, or were fine with having only one project to put money into you could build one too, but i know how much you enjoy your bi-weekly "chop shop" builds. i like reading them too, its interesting to see what can be done with 25 bucks and an angle grinder!
not necessarily sure i can afford it either :)D), but i'm still going to try to make it, might be saving money to shocks for it sometime around September! or i will just be in debt until Christmas or something.
might have to look into getting a job at the hardware store, make some cash, and get employ discount. my b-day is coming up soon, so maybe i will get some shocks, or a set of cheep tires and rims.

bighead, thanks for the tip, i will try to see if i can find any deals on an atc in my area!

EDIT: these are most of the engines edge suggests, few more listed in the plans, if i get a motorcycle engine i'm probably looking at 400-500cc(preferably 500), 600cc if its cheaper for some reason, the edge states it can handle 350-650cc.
KLX650 Kawasaki
KLR650 Kawasaki
KLR600 Kawasaki
DR650 Suzuki
DR600 Suzuki
XT600 Yamaha
XT500 Yamaha
SR600 Yamaha
SRX660 Yamaha
660 Yamaha Raptor
XL600 Honda
XR600 Honda
XR650 Honda
NX650 Honda
FT500 Honda

fowler

Reaction score
ay are u sure this is the final choice

have u seen the pranaha i reckon u should go for it

na jokes

didnt u say u saw a cbr400 somewhere
that would do the job

best bet is a single cylender dirt bike

r97

Measure twice cut once
Reaction score
hahaha, i actually considered the pirahna, but the added cost and overall dimensions didn't make it worth it.

it was a cb400, but its a twin 4 stroke......

r97

Measure twice cut once
Reaction score
YES

just got my call returned, going to pick these up on saturday! he says they all hold air, front tires are practically new, and rears are about 50 percent worn.

http://capecod.craigslist.org/for/2279321463.html

awesome deal if you ask me, 50 bucks wouldn't even be enough to get one e'l cheep-o tire and have it shipped! thats going to save me 200 dollars!

r97

Measure twice cut once
Reaction score
not sure if anybody cares about this, but it will be useful for anyone else who makes a winder using imperial sized steel.

i converted all metric metal sizes of the sidewinder, to inch, then found the nearest standard inch size. few lengths are over estimated a good bit, and a few sq tubes are about 1/16" off, but its as close as i can get.

you don't think edge will be unhappy about me posting this will they?

square tube:
¾” x ¾” x 16ga – 48ft
1 ¼” x 1 ¼” x 13ga – 5ft
1 ½” x 1 ½” x 14ga – 60ft
2” x 1” x 12ga – 6ft
4” x 2” x 14ga – 2ft

Pipe:
¾” x sch 10 – 7ft
1” x sch 40 – 22ft
3” x 16ga round tube, or 2 ½” sch 5 pipe – 2ft
7/8” x 14ga round tube, or ½” x sch 10 pipe – 2.5ft
5/8” x 16ga round tube, or 3/8” x sch 10 pipe – 2.5ft

Flat bar:
1” x ¼” – 1.5ft
1 ¼” x ¼” – 6ft
1 ½” x ¼” – 5ft
2” x ¼” – 6ft
3” x ¼” – 1ft
3 1/8” (or 3”) x ¼” - .5ft
1 ¼” x 5/16” (or 3/8”) – 2ft
2.5” x 5/16” (or 3/8”) – 1.5ft

Round bar:
½” – 1.5ft
5/8” – 3ft
1” – 1ft
2” – .5ft (for rear hub spacers, may not be needed)
2.5“ - .5ft (for rear hub spacers, may not be needed)
1 ¼” – 4ft (axle, 4140 steel)

Angle iron:
1.5” X 1.5” x 3/16” - .5ft

Acetal bar (plastic):
1” – 1ft
1 ¼” – 1.5ft
2” - .5ft

gokart14

Reaction score
those look a lot like the BMI kind which ia have and there not the best but they work/Function :)

r97

Measure twice cut once
Reaction score

r_chez_08

Should be in the shop...
Reaction score
Some project :D but judging for the job you did on your bike, i expect you will do a good job!
I would love to build one of these, but got only two years and ill be driving, and i want to save up for a car :/ and if i built one i would have no time for anything else, and i would end up bodging (aha :( )
Good luck mate :thumbsup: looking forward to the build :)
Rob

r97

Measure twice cut once
Reaction score
Thanks!

theo, that sidewinder came out very nice! looks like he put some serious time into it! i like the double A arm, something to think about.

Status
Not open for further replies.