r97's NX 250 mini buggy build!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

r97

Measure twice cut once
Reaction score
Finally I'm going to get to build a mini buggy! LOL, I have been planning this for quite a while now, hopefully I should be moving into the building stage soon!

Engine will be from an 88' Honda NX 250, hopefully I should be getting the whole bike for $300 in a few days :wai:. http://www.bikez.com/motorcycles/honda_nx_250_1988.php

General specs:

-Buggy should have 66" wheel base, 48" width (Should be able to get through the AV trails).
-Hoping for 8" or more suspension travel all around, will depend on the shocks I can find.
-Top speed should be 40-50mph, geared low for torque (ratios may be a bi close....)
-Tires and rims were all bought for a total of $100, almost new. 23x7-10 fronts, and 22x10-10 rear.
-39" seat back to pedals

Steering geometry/suspension angles:

10* KPI
3/4" scrub radius
-3* camber
6* castor
6* rake
upper arm will be about 1" shorter than lower (camber change while cornering).

Here are some pictures! A bit rough, but that's ok (will probably add brush bars on the side).

Can't wait to really get started!

EDIT: I know the engine will hit the back of the seat in its current setup, I will fix that when I get the engine dimensions.

Attachments

• Mini buggy chassis.jpg
    Mini buggy chassis.jpg
    125.4 KB · Views: 14
  • Mini buggy chassis 3.jpg
    Mini buggy chassis 3.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 15
  • Mini buggy chassis 2.jpg
    Mini buggy chassis 2.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 14
  • Mini buggy chassis 4.jpg
    Mini buggy chassis 4.jpg
    106.6 KB · Views: 15

tomas02

Reaction score
very cool drawings in sketchup
design looks good
and sure youll have alot of fun building it
look forward to following build

tomas02

Reaction score
Since this is a water cooled engine, where are you planning on mounting the radiator?

r97

Measure twice cut once
Reaction score
Since this is a water cooled engine, where are you planning on mounting the radiator?

Planning to put it about where it is in this picture, but a bit more protected in the frame. That said I may change my mind, I really just want it somewhere where it gets good air flow, but isn't going to get impaled by a branch.... LOL. DO you think the coolant pump will have any trouble pushing the coolant up there?

Looks like you have an awesome project ahead of you!

I sure do! can't wait to get going. First I need to build myself a good welding table, but that shouldn't be too tough.

Are you going to be getting to work on your 250 kart soon?

tomas02

Reaction score
my radiator is in a similar position behind the seat but high enough to get air. and the pump seems to be handling fine and engine remains at a very steady temperature around 90 celcius

Doc Sprocket

Reaction score
Are you going to be getting to work on your 250 kart soon?

I do hope so. Things are starting to settle down again, slowly. I did some project brainstorming this evening, and I think I have finally worked out a solution to a problem I was facing with the driveline.

tomas02

Reaction score
What are plans for your 250 toystory?
do you have a build thread?

r97

Measure twice cut once
Reaction score
my radiator is in a similar position behind the seat but high enough to get air. and the pump seems to be handling fine and engine remains at a very steady temperature around 90 celcius

Ok, thanks for the info!

I do hope so. Things are starting to settle down again, slowly. I did some project brainstorming this evening, and I think I have finally worked out a solution to a problem I was facing with the driveline.

What problem were you facing? Even if you already figured it out I really like tossing around transmission concepts :D

r97

Measure twice cut once
Reaction score
Well apparently I spoke too soon.....

The seller sold the bike behind my back yesterday after we agreed on $300, and he told me he would arrange to drop it off over the weekend.....

So unless I find another bike (locally this is all I have found in 8 months) this project is screwed. My only option aside from dumping the idea now is to drive 3 hrs to try to look at this, much cheaper, but doesn't look promising.....
http://maine.craigslist.org/mcy/2683237648.html

Doc Sprocket

Reaction score
Don't lose heart and give up too soon. Sometimes it takes quite a bit of time for the right deal to come along, but it will.

Don't overlook the possibility of putting up want ads, either.

r97

Measure twice cut once
Reaction score
I haven't given up yet, although the pace of my progress is probably going to be seriously slowed down. Will probably put up a wanted add, if only it wasn't so hard to find stuff like this locally. 250cc, liquid cooled, 4 stroke, single cylinder, powerful, reliable, cheep, running, bikes are not easy to come across on an island full of elderly people.....

EDIT: that guy in Maine sent me a message back, it read "you are a moron", needless to say I was laughing pretty good after reading that.

HellSpawn

Reaction score
Its too bad you don't live near me. I have a spare 400cc motor for my CM400 streetbike. I dunno if your plans are based around a 250cc engine, but this 400cc would kick *** in a buggy.

I kinda have other plans for it right now though aswell. But I dunno if i'll ever get to doing what I want to do with it.

r97

Measure twice cut once
Reaction score
Designs look good! you should sell them ;) haha.

Thought about it, but that's another huge project. I decided the possible revenue it would give me just wasn't worth the time, and liability. although maybe once I'm finished with this build I will change my mind.

Its too bad you don't live near me. I have a spare 400cc motor for my CM400 streetbike. I dunno if your plans are based around a 250cc engine, but this 400cc would kick *** in a buggy.

I kinda have other plans for it right now though aswell. But I dunno if i'll ever get to doing what I want to do with it.

Thanks for the offer, I will keep it in mind if I get nothing from my wanted add(s). That engine isn't perfect, although I could make it work :D.

Status
Not open for further replies.