Question on Ratio of Gears

Status
Not open for further replies.

bda28590

Still Working On It!!!
Reaction score
I have 17" rideing lawn mower tires and a 6.5hp engine and 12 teeth on the clutch and 60 teeth on the sprocket of the drive shaft it seems it does ok if i take off slow but it smokes its butt off after going it has good power but just trying to save the clutch from burning up or i heard of a tork converter can you make one? and if so what would i need for the ratio? also im useing a light frame its from a rideing lawn mower

Last edited:

bda28590

Still Working On It!!!
Reaction score
oh, also one thing the chain keeps comeing off and it can be tight as heck on it and now the clutch is a little sloppy and i tightend the bolt on it thats in the middle of the shaft and its a brand new clutch any ideas it seems like i get closer at getting done then something else goes wrong also where i can i buy the brake and gas pedals? with the arm braket?

bda28590

Still Working On It!!!
Reaction score
Picture of Doom Buggy

Maybe this will help as the pictures show how i have the gears hooked up

Attachments

• close up of back.jpg
    close up of back.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 21
  • side.jpg
    side.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 18
  • motor.jpg
    motor.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 23

kibble

I banned myself
Reaction score
I don't know if it's just me, but in pic #3, it seems like the engine is at a slight angle compared to the rest of the vehicle, which could explain why your chain comes off. Your chain shouldn't be ultra taught anyway, it should have a tiny bit of slack.

You might need a bigger sprocket on the axle.

bda28590

Still Working On It!!!
Reaction score
the chain is 35 length im not sure yea the motor is slighty angled so that would have alot to do with it? the higher the rpm is when it comes off and also would that have to do with the clutch smokeing if its angled and one time i had the chain pretty tight and i didnt want to do that but it kept poping off i didnt know if that would put strain on the clutch because now the clutch feels a little sloppy as in befor it felt solid other how it was when i got it

bda28590

Still Working On It!!!
Reaction score
i thank you so much for getting back with me on this from look at other post on here looks like you know what your talking about so im going to take your advice and i thank you

kibble

I banned myself
Reaction score
Well, that could be the reason why you're having so many problems. It kinda sounds like the clutch may have gotten damaged from being on so tight.

About the sprocket, what about a 72 tooth?

bda28590

Still Working On It!!!
Reaction score
60 and the clutch is 12 other then that as long as i take off slow ones it gets going it had good power has a kick too it just have to take it easy takeing off

bda28590

Still Working On It!!!
Reaction score
would there be much a diffrent in a 60 and 72?
and also i would have to get a new drive shaft well they are only 15 dollars but stuppid me i welded the sprocket on the shaft

Russ2251

AZUSA:Powered by LAWN-BOY
Reaction score
View attachment 1694
I don't know if it's just me, but in pic #3, it seems like the engine is at a slight angle compared to the rest of the vehicle, which could explain why your chain comes off. Your chain shouldn't be ultra taught anyway, it should have a tiny bit of slack.

You might need a bigger sprocket on the axle.
:iagree:When I first tried out the World's First Lawn-Boy Powered Mini Bike, I had problems with chain popping off, especially when turning under power.
I was absolutely sure chain and sprockets were aligned.
WRONG. I tried to use line of sight for alignment but discovered that using this method is just not good enough when dealing with long lengths of chain. To check alignment, use a straight edge against driven sprocket and see if chain "runs out".
My artistry skills aren't the greatest, but here is a lame attempt at showing you what I'm talking about. In this pic, engine would have to be shifted right or driven sprocket shifted left to align.

Last edited:

bda28590

Still Working On It!!!
Reaction score
makes sence on that i thank you that was a kool video really good job on it i hope when i align the motor the clutch will stop smokeing lol my luck it wont it smokes like a motor with bad oil rings

bda28590

Still Working On It!!!
Reaction score
other then that from makeing it out of a rideing lawn mower to this for my first time i guess i didnt do to bad of a job i meen i have rode on it and im still alive lol

Status
Not open for further replies.