Predator Flywheel Exploded (Totaled)

79MiniBike

Reaction score
Soooo, last night i was out on a ride on my minibike, and I decided to be an idiot. I lifted my rear tire, and redlined the motor for about three seconds. At just after three seconds, I heard the loudest noise I've ever heard and then a grinding sound, and the motor stopped. (this is a predator 79 btw) As soon as i got the bike home, I took a look and the pickup for the magneto came off, flew into the magneto, broke it off from the motor, and wrecked havoc on the cooling fan :) . I will attach pics.

Attachments

• IMG_20200905_202935.jpg
    IMG_20200905_202935.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 46
  • IMG_20200905_202940.jpg
    IMG_20200905_202940.jpg
    672 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_20200905_202921.jpg
    IMG_20200905_202921.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 50

JTSpeedDemon

2019 Build Off Winner!
Reaction score
:eek: Utter CARNAGE!!
THAT is why we use billet flywheels!
Really glad you’re ok, maybe don’t do that again? :lolgoku:
What are you going to do as far as a new engine? Also, I’m assuming that 79 had a governor removal?

79MiniBike

Reaction score
Actually, it didn't even have the governor removed, which is what surprised me the most.

JTSpeedDemon

2019 Build Off Winner!
Reaction score
Wow, a sharp reminder of “that one dud” off the assembly line in China!

65ShelbyClone

Reaction score
Your flywheel didn't explode. The magnet came off and knocked the magneto off of the block. A flywheel explosion is where the entire flywheel fragments and does a lot more scary damage.

JTSpeedDemon

2019 Build Off Winner!
Reaction score
Well, not much difference to me! At any rate, this was a very hazardous mishap, with flying bits right between your legs!!:eek:

79MiniBike

Reaction score
Just out of curiosity, what are some good mods I could do to a predator 79 without having something like this happen again?

itsid

Staff member
Reaction score
yeah chinese quality control, huh?

you can clearly see WHY the magnet came off (big air bubble trapped in the glue patch)
maybe one frostbite last year,
and one tiny bit of overheating the magnet (they do heat up at high revs quite easily)
and thermal expansion took it's course.

frankly I'm still amazed that happened at just 3600 rpms, you sure you haven't accidentally bypassed the governor?
since the flywheels like these are usually tested for 5k (at least lifan does that allegedly) and an airbubble that big should've failed that test.
(hence the 'maybe frost' comment above)

Ah well...
new magneto, new flywheel and that engine should start up again I'd think

'sid

79MiniBike

Reaction score
Unfortunately, the magneto arms came off from the casing (like they literally ripped off of the casing). But it's fine, those motors are relatively inexpensive

And yes, as far as I am aware, the governor was still on

shinwrx187

Reaction score
looks like from lifting it up and slamming it down caused a massive issue.. its fun to watch the matrix neo.. if those bolts were some what loose on the magneto it could have caused the magnetic pull from the flywheel magnet spinning and rotating how ever fast you were going and Ca boom..

79MiniBike

Reaction score
Yes, that could be the case. I have learned a ton from this and am getting ready to buy another 79. I need advice though on what mods I can make to it without this happening again.

shinwrx187

Reaction score
you could make a bracket and if u have a local hardware store find out exactly what type of threading the magneto bolts are most definitely fine thread and buy a couple of pre cut wash lock washers. Use blue lock tight NOT RED. That would hold up for a very long time and im sure u could even get away with some heavy off roading with no issues.

79MiniBike

Reaction score
Ok, I think after I buy the new predator I am going to go billet with everything, and I will try this for sure.

Willisk2004

Williskart
Reaction score
But the extended warranty at harbor freight! Just replaced my sons with a 6.5 and with the warranty $160.00 now if he blows it up in the next two years it’s free to replace. And if I wanted to be shady I could return and exchange b4 the deadline and just pay $48 for two more years protection