Predator Engine for go-kart

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoKarterman

New member
Messages
8
Reaction score
0
Location
Concord, North Carolina
Hi guys, I am new to this by the way, I have a two seat home made go-kart that needs a new engine and was looking at the 6.5 hp predator engine for $99(with coupon) at Harbor Freight Tools. I bought it from a guy who originally had a 6.5 hp Honda engine on it but the engine isn't working right now and I can't find out how to fix it. I am at the bottom of the dollar pile so was looking for something cheap, however I would like good quality. I Know you usually trade one for the other but would the predator engine work okay for the go-kart and if so what would the performance be? I was wondering how fast it might be. Any comments on this or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks a lot.
 

itsid

Moderator
Staff member
Messages
11,563
Reaction score
251
Location
Ruhrpott [Germany]
:welcome2:

the predator 212 will work nicely, no problem.

BUT, the guys around here could talk you through the Honda repair
And, depending on what's wrong with it, it might be cheaper than to buy a predator (even with coupon)

So, if you want to have the best possible engine, for the cheapest possible price,
let's see if "we" (as in diygk) can see what's wrong with the engine you have, and maybe talk you through the repair first.

If that fails, you can always buy a predator in a couple of days ;)


first few things to do (zero costs)

check the Honda for compression,
check it for a spark,
clean the carb.

then try again.

'sid
 

GoKarterman

New member
Messages
8
Reaction score
0
Location
Concord, North Carolina
I now the spark plug works and the carb was cleaned last fall but im not sure about the compression. I had to attach a new wire to the spark plug because the old one was so old it started to break down. But the spark plug is still getting a spark. I also don't now what the right size of a spark plug for the engine is I have many spark plugs that are different sizes but am not sure what one to use.
 

itsid

Moderator
Staff member
Messages
11,563
Reaction score
251
Location
Ruhrpott [Germany]
recommended sparkplug for a GX200:
BPR6ES (NGK)
W20EPR-U (DENSO)

well an easy test probe for compression is your thumb ;)

remove the spark plug, place your thumb over the hole, and crank the engine over.
if it pushes your thumb off the hole, you should be good enough to at least start the engine.

Oh, btw:
sometimes a carb needs to be cleaned twice to do it right, so there's no harm in trying again..

Take some pictures of the engine you have, maybe we can get a better idea where to start giving advice ;)

'sid
 

Half-breeder

"Edit" button removed
Messages
1,686
Reaction score
9
I just rebuilt/upgraded my gx200 for 75$. Replaced(w/ new) piston, rings, all the gaskets n seals, bearings, plus I bored the cylinder. Whatever, youll need will probly be less, and like Sid said, quite afew of us can talk/walk you through what you need to know.
 

OzFab

Well-known member
Messages
15,615
Reaction score
73
Location
Warwick Qld, Australia
In simple terms, if you want an engine now, buy a Predator; if you want a bulletproof engine that will last forever, fix the Honda...
 

GoKarterman

New member
Messages
8
Reaction score
0
Location
Concord, North Carolina
Here are some pictures of the engine.
[/IMG][/IMG][/IMG]
[/IMG][/IMG]
 
Last edited by a moderator:

mckutzy

Well-known member
Messages
8,353
Reaction score
110
Location
bc, canada
Your going to modify the script for the pic to not be a thumbnail size.
edit ill just repost for you....







 

itsid

Moderator
Staff member
Messages
11,563
Reaction score
251
Location
Ruhrpott [Germany]
a bit small;

allow me to increase them for you while I comment: (forget about the increase.. mckutzy done that already)


some find grit sand paper and the flywheel should look as good as new.


nice exhaust ;)


that airfilter box looks airtight.. (very restricive)
can you open the lid and try to start the engine without it?


Most parts call for a general clean up (wire brush) but it's not too bad from what I can see.


But I don't like what I see in this picture :(


please tell me it's not the valves that I can see through the hole?
Nice carb btw, not what I expected ;)


That iginition "wire" ... :smiley_omg:


as nice as the carb is.. that doesn't look like a good match.
I guess we might narrow it down to ignition and carb issues ;)


Okay, please get a spark plug shoe and lead, do not improvise;
that cannot provide a good electrical connection like it is.

'sid

[EDIT]
okay.. ninja'ed again..
so back to thumbs then for the comments :(
 

mckutzy

Well-known member
Messages
8,353
Reaction score
110
Location
bc, canada
well you going to need a few things, that ignition thing.... will call it... has got to go, it will catch on fire. Need a new one..

Secondly going to need a fan shroud and starter.
Both of which isnt all that really expensive.. you do however have a good carb on it, I believe a mikuni, it will need a bit of refreshing but, it looks like it has potential.
 

bshinn

New member
Messages
170
Reaction score
0
Location
China Grove, NC
In simple terms, if you want an engine now, buy a Predator; if you want a bulletproof engine that will last forever, fix the Honda...

Then why is he having to fix the Honda?

Having 2 kids trying their best to destroy 2 HF Predators (gov's removed) for about 25 hrs each now with no success, I'd buy the Predator.
 

GoKarterman

New member
Messages
8
Reaction score
0
Location
Concord, North Carolina
All right! Thanks so much for the help ya'll. I'll work on it and get back to you guys. tomorrow I will be able to buy the parts you suggested so it won't be to long hopefully until I have it running again.
 

itsid

Moderator
Staff member
Messages
11,563
Reaction score
251
Location
Ruhrpott [Germany]
Then why is he having to fix the Honda?

Having 2 kids trying their best to destroy 2 HF Predators (gov's removed) for about 25 hrs each now with no success, I'd buy the Predator.

Look at that Honda, you see how it was treated.
And I don't even think it needs a repair, more a good maintenance
(spark plug, maybe starter coil, fresh oil and fuel)
the rest is cleaning and replacing the missing parts.

That Honda has had more than 25hrs before it even was mounted to the kart I'd bet.
served his purpose for maybe two or three years with little to no maintanance and was then left outside to die at least a winter.

And within $20-$50 it's up and running and will most likely outperform a new predator ;)

If it is no Honda but just a clone
and it can be back at work within said amount of money,
it's still the best option GoKarterman has IMHO.

'sid
 

Half-breeder

"Edit" button removed
Messages
1,686
Reaction score
9
Then why is he having to fix the Honda?

... all depends on how you look at things, and experiences of BOTH qualities. Bet you wont be able to say the samething in 3 - 4 years, bout your HF(w/out a rebuild)... where as the Honda(if run under the same exact conditions your kids are running it) will stay reliable long past the time the HF has died.

It is true..."if it's so bulletproof why is he having to fixing it?!"...Having to 'fix' something doesnt make it anyless bulletproof... just means someone didnt take care enough to do maintenance on it or a scenario was introduced to it that exceeded its limitations of bulletproofness(even bulletproof vests cant stop every bullet and needs sewing now and again... but doesnt make em anyless w/ the 'ability' to handle a bullet, w/in its parameters).

The word 'bulletproof' is a term to describe the ability to handle scenarios, that under certain circumstances would be 'fatal/catastrophic'(the shortening of longevity). My example to this is: take one of your 2 predators w/ no governor... place on a dead axle frame w/ noone on it. Start the motor w/ the throttle stuck WIDE open... and let her go(can you say gyroscope effect?!). What will happen is all the oil in your case will be slammed to one side of the motor causing it to starve itself of oil... and will(after bout 30 seconds) start to smoke the rings/cylinder... let it run(not like you could stop it at this point...) for about 3 mins. At this point(if the HF even lasted 3 mins) is where you start to look for the HF coupon for 20% off. Yes this exact scenario happened to me w/ my Honda GX200, w/ no governor(and as you 'should' know is the 'originator' of the HF you so proudly support). I 'have' a HF212... and 'if' I had to choose between the 2... the Honda would win hands down ANYday even not running!

... BTW after the gyroscope indecent I still drove the motor untouched for several months afterwards, w/out doin a thing cept I changed the oil:thumbsup:.

Pros n cons are numerous... but the MAIN thing that is 'THE' clencher is; Chinese metal(HF motors) is inferior and cheap in comparison to the Japanese metal used(Honda). If you take both motors, new(post being broke-in), and run em... audibly you can hear the difference in the metals used. The HF is loud and clanky where as the Honda is creating the same actions but, due to the gears n metal(no plastic innards), it runs smoother/quieter(who cares what the specs say bout the decibels). One 'could' argue that its the muffler that makes the Honda quieter('could'... but theyd be wrong) I put a stock factory Honda muffler on my HF... NO difference at all!

Dont get me wrong... HF212 is an awesome motor...(for the price)... you take a HF212 and price it the same as a Honda gx200... bet the Honda motors will sell faster than the HF's!... but then again... you get what you paid for:thumbsup:.

...and if none of this 'hit home'... lets use the logic that most everything outta China is 'known' to be cheap... in price and quality(compared to the original maker of whatever product). A good example is a 'real' iPod vs a 'China' iPod... google it... its a pretty well known FACT. Also, lets examine the Japanese 'credit score' on reliability and quality(especially dealing w/ the Honda name)... need I say more to explain why we say 'bulletproof'?

Im not chastising or criticizing 'your' experiences... but when there are 'facts' that contradict your 'opinion'... somethings should be explained to clarify reality vs fiction.

... I wonder if they make bulletproof vests in China... and I wonder what the mortality rate vs sales are... :lolgoku:

:backtotopic::popcorn:
 

Half-breeder

"Edit" button removed
Messages
1,686
Reaction score
9
All right! Thanks so much for the help ya'll. I'll work on it and get back to you guys. tomorrow I will be able to buy the parts you suggested so it won't be to long hopefully until I have it running again.

Being as that youre in Concord... (if youre not already going there...) check these guys out in your area. I bought my parts from them and they are by far the better/best prices Ive run across for motor parts for clones(Honda motors). Being as that you live in the same town... youd save 12$ over myself(shipping handling costs) if you bought the same items as I did.:cheers2:


If I were you...Id take the motor w/ ya up there n have "Jerry" take a look see what youre working w/... I too am skeptical on your carb(thinking its for a larger motor), but Jerry should be able to info you bout everything!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top