Predator 420 issue

BigPip

Reaction score
I'm looking at buying a Predator 420 engine but here is my concern:
Removed governor, only runs at high R.P.M.

He claims it needs a Carburator but he also stated that the engine is new which makes zero sense to me. Should I be concerned about anything specific?

JTSpeedDemon

2019 Build Off Winner!
Reaction score
Chances are the carburetor is the CARB/EPA California version, those ones are built to run lean due to emissions so they don't idle well. I know, I have one of the 212 CARB ones. That could be as simple as getting a new 420 carburetor to put on.

BigPip

Reaction score
I went ahead and bought it last night. This morning I looked it over and what I found was his idea of degovenored was to simple disconnect it. Everything is still in the motor, attached but not connected to the carb. Which I guess I'm thankful for because I was going to open it up anyways and double check his work. Now I just have to open it to do the work 😂.
The next thing I noticed was how the throttle was connected. I have watched a couple of videos and now know the "proper" way to set it up and the way he has it is set to return to full throttle not idle which I would assume points to why he stated it won't take, only run at high r.p.m.

He already attached an open air filter but I don't know if it allows for the air to for to that small ports on the face so I will have to look at that later and I will be ordering an exhaust pipe and heavier valve springs for it and open up the jet to... I think I've read 42 is recommended- if not I appreciate any advice on jet sizing.

jamyers

Reaction score
Good for you! I'm sometimes astonished at what some folks will do - and call it an improvement, hahaha!

Joe-405

Enjoying New Projects
Reaction score
Yes the predator 420 carburetor works opposite of the 212 size engines.

if you need help I posted a full how to on that exact throttle on my alsport restomod thread. I used everything off the stock engine also. It is simple when you see the pics.

Budget GoKart

Aka a kenbar
Reaction score
what i do is remove the goveneor gear and cut the tab from the shaft and leave the linkages the same exept move the spring from the long link to the opisite side of the throttle blade so when not running it holds the throttle closed

JTSpeedDemon

2019 Build Off Winner!
Reaction score
I didn't even change the governor arm shaft. I just popped out the governor gear and it's shaft, then carefully clocked the governor arm so it wouldn't interfere with anything internal, and it works like a dream! Do note though that this is on a 212. At any rate, as long as you make sure to clock the arm correctly, by my experience there's no problems with anything interfering. this also allows you to keep the stock throttle setup. I've done this on a Briggs and a 212, and both run great!

Budget GoKart

Aka a kenbar
Reaction score
i do it as well i just move a spring so the throttle doesnt stick. im gonna do another 212 soon so i can record it. i paid 100$ for a newish used 212 with a mini bike stuck to it. so im thinking 53$ more and i can have a very quick 212 to fool around with

BigPip

Reaction score
IMG_20210203_145709362.jpg
I fixed the throttle linkage and have a couple pulls on the cord and she came to life. Idle was fine reved it a few times, nothing drastic, turned the full to off and let it suck everything out of the carb so it will be near empty when I go in there too change the jet. So far I'm feeling good about this purchase, it is pretty new- you can tell it was never mounted to anything 👍🏼

BigPip

Reaction score
As fast as I was too get happy it turned around to sad. The motor came with a torque converter also to sweeten the deal but after looking at it, it was only a 30 series which is only good for up 8 hp, 😩
Buying a t.c. series was an expense I wasn't expecting to have to purchase.