Predator 301cc Issues

Idlecarrots

Reaction score
So I bought a predator 301cc to put into a go kart. I do not have torque converter. I wanted to just use a clutch. I bought a clutch on ebay that is rated for the predator301cc. The problem is, nothing is engaging. The driveshaft is just spinning as I press the accelerator. Did I do something wrong? The 41 chain has no slack, the clutch is lined up over the crank sprocket on the axle. I can't figure out why it's not engaging and moving the go kart.

itsid

Staff member
Reaction score
post pics!

the clutch is engaging at 1800-2200 rpms usually..
a race clutch can engage as late as 4800-5500 rpms
which is unreachable for a goverend engine.

so engines have a 6:1 gearbox attached, they cannot be used with a cent clutch at all.
some engines come with a 2:1 gearbox that cannot be used either, some have a 2:1 clutch (that makes the second cent clutch obsolete.

Some gear ratios are just terrible enough to boil the liner off the clutch instantly
so what should work engine/clutch wise doesn't because of a stupid setup.

we need pics in order to tell what's going on.

'sid

Idlecarrots

Reaction score
Here are pictures

Attachments

• IMG_0318.JPG
    IMG_0318.JPG
    106 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_0320.JPG
    IMG_0320.JPG
    105.6 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_0321.JPG
    IMG_0321.JPG
    132.7 KB · Views: 8

mckutzy

Reaction score
Gear ratio... Need more teeth on the rear end, Closer to 6:1 ratio... or most likely a jackshaft.....

What is the tooth count on the sprockets, clutch and rear sprockets? What is the tire OD.. measured not sidewall size???

Kent

Reaction score
Willits, California (Northern California)
I'm just a newbie/amateur but I got to say that sprocket combination looks pretty high geared and would probably need a torque converter. The members on this forum will hook you up with what your choice's are.

Answer the questions mckutzy asked and you will get some good info. Good luck......

JTSpeedDemon

2019 Build Off Winner!
Reaction score
Especially with that 14T clutch. A much bigger axle sprocket is in order.

But you say it doesn't engage. Try putting it up on jack stands and revving it. Does it spin the wheels in the air? If it does, it's definitely a gearing issue.

jonlasaga

Reaction score
Especially with that 14T clutch. A much bigger axle sprocket is in order.

But you say it doesn't engage. Try putting it up on jack stands and revving it. Does it spin the wheels in the air? If it does, it's definitely a gearing issue.

Isnt it going to spin the wheels in the air either way? If I dont put resistance on my back wheel it will spin slowly at idle even though the clutch isnt engaging.

itsid

Staff member
Reaction score
So now..

a stock ungeared engine then, good..

so if the clutch isn't engaging, it's a matter of rpms.
14T are actually more in the realms of race clutches and I hope you didn't buy a 20 dollar version of it
those are actually 100% useless..
your gear ratio needs to be -as said- in the 6:1 realms for small (13" or smaller) wheels.
frankly looking at the sprocket I think you are more likely to have 18-20" wheels attached, no?

and with that we talk somewhere between a 8:1-10:1 ratio likely
with 14T on the clutch that means you need up to 140 teeth on the axle..
not going to happen, is it?

Anyways, uselessness..
cheap clutches are going to burn out much faster than high quality ones,
and with an absurd number of teeth you are more likely to gear too high for the kart,
since as said, if you need 140T on the axle you will most likely fail to get a big enough sprocket.
and too high gearing wears down a cheap clutch in no time at all.

Also: high toothcount race clutches are more likely to engage later than ~2k rpms
and with that -as I mentioned above- you MUST remove the governor to even get a high enough rpm at times.

Ah well, post some infos and we might be able to give you some more tips.
(kart and rider weight, wheelsize, jackshaft or no etc...)

'sid